Madison v.s The Horse Thief

By lily06ride

BOOK ONE IN THE MADISON v.s THE HORSE WORLD SERIES Being coached by your equestrian hero is a dream. For Madi... More

Chapter One: A Straggly Pony & A Teenage Girl
Chapter Two: Antonio Bruno: Everyone's Hero, Alex Bruno: His Moody Son
Chapter Three: The Clubhouse
Chapter Four: You Either Get It Or You Don't
Chapter Five: Dinner With The Team
Chapter Six: The Phone Call
Chapter Seven: A Thief On The Prowl
Chapter Eight: Lesson Number One: Alex Bruno Doesn't Ride With The Junior Team
Chapter Nine: The Trail and The Strange Car
Chapter Ten: Tack Room Arguments
Chapter Eleven: Who's Going To Compete?
Chapter Twelve: Thieves At The Door
Chapter Thirteen: Cooking With Italians
Chapter Fourteen: Jessica's Lesson
Chapter Fifteen: Mean Girls At Shows
Chapter Sixteen: Time To Fly
Chapter Seventeen: Breaking Down
Chapter Eighteen: Hello Mother
Chapter Nineteen: Happy Birthday
Chapter Twenty: Race Time
Chapter Twenty-One: Please Forgive Me
Chapter Twenty-Two: Under The Tree
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Chase
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter Twenty-Six: Party Time
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Admit it
Chapter Twenty-Eight: What Happens Now?
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Is It True?
Chapter Thirty: The Show of Secrets
Chapter Thirty-One: Getting Them Back
Chapter Thirty-Two: Hidden In the National Park
Chapter Thirty-Three: Another Sweatshirt
Chapter Thirty-Four: Going Home
Chapter Thirty-Five: A New Chapter

Chapter Twenty-Four: Here We Go Again

54 6 9
By lily06ride

"So, describe the car to me."

I glance back up from my twitching thumbs. The officer is a larger woman with her hair pulled back firmly. Creases are starting to form around her eyes as she squints at me. 

"Umm."

I glance up at the clock. 9:15. The questioning has been going on for ten minutes. But it feels like I've been glued to this chair for ten hours. I look back at the officer.

"It was black, with tinted windows. Very muddy. Oh, the license plate was white and maroon but I don't remember any of it," I finish.

The officer just nods with her lips pressed together. She has been writing down every word I say.

"Could be from Queensland," she tells herself.

Even though she isn't talking to me I nod in agreement. I glance back up at the clock. 9:16.

Gosh, how much longer?

I was the last out of every key witness of the theft to be questioned. The claustrophobia I feel, stuck in Antonio's office alone with this woman being questioned about my every move today. Was breathing in here always this hard? 

It is like I've been sucked back in time to three years ago. The rain pouring down, a police officer trying to question me. Being completely frozen and scared.

"Now Maddie," the officer starts, startling me a little. "Do you have any idea what might have happened?"

Do I think it was Justin? Yes.

Is it the right time to say that? Maybe.

Do I have enough evidence to prove it? No

I quietly shake my head. My gut is telling me to stay silent.

"You sure?"

I sigh. "Definitely an inside job."

The police detective raises her eyebrows at me. "Really?"

"How do you think they took a horse from here undetected? They had someone at the show snooping on us, how did they know we were there? How did they enter SEC late at night without the keys?"

The officer purses her lips together and nods her head side to side. "You make a point. Well, thank you, Madison for your co-operation."

She shuts her little notebook with a smile before outstretching a hand. I look at her bright pink nails and with a sigh, I push back the sleeves of Alex's hoodie and shake her hand. Immediately I leave the office.

I have to get some fresh air and just escape the feeling of being trapped with no escape. 

I shut the door behind me and finally take a deep breath. The containment I felt starts to melt away. The questioning has made my stomach flip and saliva starts to build in my mouth.

"Maddie!" calls Alex's voice from behind me.

Oh, please do not throw up on him, I will myself.

I can hear his footsteps coming up from behind me. It's like something in me clicks at this moment and I start to run away from him. I can't see him right now, not like this. I want to punch myself right in the mouth when I hear him call out for me again.

There is nothing more I want to do than just go up to him and bury myself in a hug with him and just forget this ever happened. But this has happened. It is still happening. I just am so done with the world I can't see him until everything makes sense.

"I'll see you at the meeting," I call over my stomach, feeling very ashamed of myself. 

I dash down the stable aisle until I hit the admin room. Antonio called us all for a meeting once all the interviews with the police were over. I open the door and am hit with a wave of unbearable silence.

Antonio stands at the front, texting frantically away. Sophie and Georgia are in the far corner. Georgia's face is like a porcelain doll, so still and fragile. Her face is puffy and I think she has cried all the moister out of her body.

I make my way over to Sarah and Bishop who as usual are sat up at the back. I pull up a chair next to Bishop who whispers in my ear, "Crazy."

I nod, eyes wide, in agreement. This is crazy. This is unheard of.

The door swings open and in walks Alex. I look down so I don't have to look at him in the eyes. He pulls up a chair next to Jack and sits down in a huff.

Finally, Antonio looks up from his phone. "Ah, welcome everyone."

There is nothing welcoming about this, though is there?

"As we know the thieves have taken another one of our lovely horses."

Georgia lets out a weep.

"The police are on it as we speak and I am sure we are closing to catching them than ever," Antonio states, lying through his teeth.

I cross my arms. How could he try and make this situation sound lighter than it is?

"But I have other news for you all that I am telling you to try and lighten our spirits," Antonio continues.

I let out a maybe to audible scoff.

"Err, yes. Umm, to keep our hopes high and to keep as many people still around the stable at night as we can, the annual Winter Ball will still go ahead next week."

A ball! Wow, this just keeps getting better and better. 

From the corner of my eye, I can see people murmur to each other and even a few smiles from the girls. How could this possibly make up for another stolen horse?

"One last piece of news I have for everyone is that in three weeks we will be attending another show, the Sydney Winter Classic and I expect for us to be in tip-top shape for that."

"What?" I yell from the back of the room. 

Antonio looks up at me, clearly flustered.

Why on Earth does he think going to another show would be good?

"We need to keep our minds off things, Maddie and-"

"You mean off finding these horses?"

"No!"

"Well that's what it sounds," I shout jumping up from my seat. "Just to remind you, one of the thieves was seen by Sophie and me snooping around our trailers at the last show."

I look to Sophie for support but she just buries her head deeper in her hoodie. Typical.

"It isn't safe to go to another show," I complain.

Antonio doesn't reply for a moment. "Trust me, Maddie, this is one of the best things to do."

"No!" I shout stamping my foot to the ground. "One of the best things to do is going looking for these missing horses."

"We do not have the power to do that," Antonio replies, his voice starting to get angrier.

"What are we doing sitting here anyway," I stress, "talking about balls and shows and celebrations? There are way more important things to do."

"Maddie, sit down," Antonio instructs. 

I roll my eyes. "How could I when horses are being taken from under our noses. My own horse isn't safe anymore."

"Maddie. Sit!" Antonio shouts.

"Georgia's horse was taken an hour ago and we are moving on way too quickly," I scold.

"Maddie..." Georgia sniffs, trying to stop my rage.

"No, Georgia. Your horse was taken and no one seems to want to find out who did it!"

"Madison! That is unfair and disrespectful for you to say," barks Antonio.

"Maddie! Sit down," Georgia cries.

"No! You all are just sitting there when we could be doing something. Clearly, this whole thief thing is an inside job. We have a mole inside SEC."

"Do you not hear yourself?" screams Georgia.

I go silent.

"My horse has been taken from me, okay? You're all, "We need to go save the day." But guess what? We can't! Ever since you got here you have just tried being this supergirl, saving us from the thieves but it has not worked!"

Georgia's eyes start leaking again. 

I'm stunned for a moment. I slowly start to sit back down, every pair of eyes watching me. I feel like an idiot and have made a fool of myself. What was I even saying? Antonio is trying the best he can.

Everyone is still looking at me though. My words had clearly left an impression. It even takes a minute for Antonio to start speaking again. I had got them thinking finally (and maybe myself too) that what if it was an inside job?

Because if I am right about Justin, we are all just sitting ducks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

943 38 27
The first half of Kaylin Podmore's sophomore year of high school was pretty intense for someone who usually tries to keep away from the drama. It see...
39.5K 1.6K 30
[COMPLETED: undergoing editing] Taylor Hastings has always dreamed of attending the prestigious Elliot Falls Academy, but it came with a price, she w...
1.3K 63 24
Kaylin Podmore's sophomore year of high school is just starting out with her boyfriend of three months, Lucas Mitchell. They spent their summer toget...
22.1K 1K 30
BOOK 3 IN MSRA SERIES After waiting all summer to return to the academy and see her friends, Kathleen Whitmore returns to the academy to realize that...