His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

Por RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... Más

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again

70 2 0
Por RaeySam

"Passion and shame torment him and rage is mingled with his grief."

-Virgil
⚜️

Once a year, on one special day or night, the royal family would hold a ball.

Unlike any other balls, anyone who knew someone from the nobility and notable gentries could come. But not everyone could come to meet and greet the royals.

This year's royal ball attracted many gossipmongers, news paper writers and of course, the loveliest of the ladies all over the kingdom. Both from the rich to the least heard of family's were invited. Even the ladies who were heard caught in the dark areas of the gardens were sent a gold stamped letter.

Those who made unexpected come back from scandal could also be seen on one corner. A gentleman who said to have chased a hundred skirts was being ogled from across the room. And so many other people flooded the palace doors.

One matron believes that the royals loved a good display of its guests. For what is a successful ball without a chance of yet another scandal? This odd mixture of invitees was a proof of that.

While the rest of the ladies flirted with suitable gentlemen on the ballroom, one certain area of the palace was gathering some curious on lookers. Servants were seen whispering with each other and even the guests began to do so. One only needed to follow the path of scurrying women to find its source.

The small crowd at the balcony had began to draw attention. And it was not a good one.

Em thought that by giving Gideon her answer was the last of it. She did not even had the chance to confront him and clear things out. They both had to address each well-wisher and hoped they would all go away. But as soon as the crowd slowly dissipated, another group of strangers came to replace them. She was bombarded with felicitations and people were constantly shaking her hands. It was a never ending cycle.

"Sir Gideon, felicitations to you and this lovely lady!" Said a rather bulky man in an ill-fitting ensemble. Not because he wore old fashioned clothes but because they seemed a tad bit smaller for his enormous frame. His buttons threatened to burst at the tightness of his muscles. He was smiling at both Em and Gideon. "I was surprised you made such a huge leap tonight, Hanselworth. Truth be told, I did not expect any of this." His eyes turned to Em. "But now that I have seen you, my lady, I can now understand why everyone was talking about you as if you were some...fallen star."

Em tried to smile at the stranger, "I hope they told you good things about me, sir."

"Good things indeed, yes! Even my sisters gossiped about you." He let out an airy laughter. "They talked about you day in and out. I once heard them talk in their sleep! Sometimes I asked myself how could someone be so interesting that it turned our house upside down. But looking at you now, well, I finally got my answers."

"Raven, please, you are jesting." Gideon said and gently pulled Em to his side. "Miss Roderick may be popular but it definitely is in a good way."

"I never said she was not. A lady of such beauty could never be a subject of an ugly gossip."

"I fear your compliments are far too generous, sir." Em said. "How could I ever thank a stranger?"

The man's eyes went wide and bowed, "Forgive me, Miss Roderick. We have not been introduced properly." He stole a glance from Gideon who immediately understood what to was needed to be done.

"Emelia, if I may introduce Sir Raven Gallegher. A knight who serves the royal family. Sir Raven, meet Miss Roderick."

"Pleasure is mine, Miss Roderick." He took Em's hand and kissed the back of her palm. "And best wishes to you and your future husband."

Em merely nodded and tried not to blanch at his comment.

"Now, if you may excuse me. I have sisters to attend to."

She followed his departing form and happened to see a familiar figure.

Damian.

He was standing on the far end of the hallway, the absence of the lamps obscured him from the prying eyes. Yet he found her gaze. When their eyes met, Em's heart fell.

He knew.

He knew this was going to happen. It was written all over his handsome face.

She tore her eyes away from him and found yet another familiar silhouette. Lucille and Vincent stood a few paces away from him. Her heart leaped with hope, that maybe, just a tiny bit of chance, they would come and rescue her. But they stood unmoving. She could not make out how their faces looked. Realization then hit her, they too, knew what had just happened.

Em closed her eyes and tried to hold back the tears.

After what felt like an eternity, Gideon finally asked for a private moment with her. She let him escort her down a well lit corridor.

"You probably hate me now." He said. "And I cannot blame you."

Em said nothing. Her felt her shoulders slump and her arms dangled on her sides lifelessly.

"Emelia, I—"

"Here you are!" Called out a voice.

They both turned and saw Margeary making her way towards them. Her face appeared relaxed and without showing a bit of smile, she looked happy.

"Your grace." Em curtsied. "Were you looking for us?"

"After hearing the news, I figured I should." The countess looked at her son. "I admit, your father and I had no idea you were going to propose to Miss Roderick tonight. Should your mother not be informed of these affairs?"

"I meant to surprise you, mother." Gideon replied. "I knew you liked, Em."

Margeary feigned a sigh and took Em's hands on hers, "Of course I did. Though I did not look I approve, I definitely do, Miss Roderick. So I thank you for accepting my son's proposal."

"You had no idea about his proposal?" Em asked, surprised. "He did this on his own?"

"Silly child, a mother supports her son's decisions, not make them." She chuckled. "Though I would admit that I had an inkling he was going to ask for your hand, I had no idea it was to be this soon."

Em pursed her lips. If the Hanselworth's did not plan this then was it the Davensport's?

"Now, it is not the time to be hiding here." Margeary broke her thoughts. "The royal family will wish to hear of this."

"W-what?"

Gideon felt her hesitation and interrupted, "Mother, may we skip tonight's private gathering with them?"

"Are you out of your mind?" His mother asked. "The King expects to see you and I have promised the Queen that you will join us. Your father is waiting for us in the garden."

"Then mayhap, I could excuse myself?" Em asked. "I have been away from the dowager, she may be asking for me."

"Worry not dearest, the Davensport's are also invited to see the royal couple. You and your mistress can catch up there." The countess assured her. "So come with us, we shall need to announce your engagement. After all, you will be part of our family."
***

Em found herself making her way towards the west side of the garden. Gideon never left her side and his mother would not stop talking. She looked ecstatic. Finding her son betrothed must have been a great joy to her. Em hated to ruin her mood nor disrupt the evening. She would play along for now and think of a way out afterwards.

The garden was huge and several tables were set for the selected guests to occupy. It looked nothing like the dark gardens near the balcony. This one was filled with a lot of flowers, trees and lamps. The place was so bright that it did not feel like it was evening.

The countess led them towards the table reserved for the family. Count Mondiego saw them approaching and stood up.

"A pleasure to see you here tonight, Miss Roderick." He said and offered her a chair. "I have heard from my friends that you came with Lucille."

"Yes, your grace." She accepted the chair and sat down. "Have you seen my mistress?"

"No, I have not. But I am certain we shall soon see, the Davensport's are closely related to the crown. There is no way they will miss the garden party."

Em replied with a forced smile. Margeary came to her side and said, "Husband dearest, I should tell you that Miss Roderick is joining us."

The count looked at his wife, "I can see that, wife. That is why I offered her a seat."

Margeary felt that her husband was misunderstanding what she said, so she went around the chair and pulled her husband away. "I meant, she will join our family soon."

His eyes went wide and stared at Em, "Gideon have proposed?"

"Yes. And I...I have accepted, your grace."

"Ohh, what wonderful news indeed!" He sat down and took Em's hands, "You have made this old man happy. Welcome to our family, Emelia."

The joy in his eyes were genuine. Em hated to see that she was the cause of all this happiness while her own heart was breaking. How could she possibly tell the count that she did not wished to be married to his son?

"We ought to make the announcement soon." Margeary said. "The King and Queen will be here in a few moments. That should be the best time."

"I agree with you wife."

Em took a deep breath and prayed that the ground beneath her would open up and swallow her.
***

Meanwhile

Dathan was asked to retrieve a satchel that his father forgot in their carriage. But the valet said there was nothing in the carriage. They both looked inside and found nothing. Mayhap his father misplaced it elsewhere?

"What are we to do, my lord?" Asked the driver. "Your father might kill me."

"Worry not. I shall handle him." He tapped the man's shoulder for assurance. "I shall go to him now."

"Y-yes, my lord."

He left the stables and went back inside. It took him some time to find an entrance since most of the doors were sealed off for tonight's ball. He finally made it back and was soon blending in with the crowd. His eyes scanned the ballroom but could not find where his father may be. And he was not were he told Dathan to meet him. Where did he run off to this time?

"Brother.."

He turned around and saw Damian with his wife. "We are wanted in the garden."

"Is it time already?" He kept looking around but could find him. "I seemed to have lost Father. Have you seen him?"

Damian looked away and said, "Yes. He told me to come pick you up. They are waiting for us."

"Alright then. Let us all go."
***

The King and Queen finally arrived. The selected guests were given the chance to chit chat with the royal family as they went around.

"Emelia," called the countess, "you must be nervous, child."

"I am, your grace." But she was more furious deep inside. There seemed to be no way out of this situation. She was pushed and caught in a corner. Her employers seemed to have abandoned her, too. Was it coincidence that Damian warned him about not asking for help if she found herself in such a situation? Because she felt helpless. Truly helpless.

"I am here." Margeary said with a gentle voice. "I will not leave you on your own."

"Thank you, your grace."

"I know how it feels to be betrothed. I was once in your shoes. My stomach would not stop churning and I feared I would throw up. But I did not. Once I was presented to the royals and my engagement was announced, I was finally freed of my fears." She squeezed her hands, "You will not regret choosing my son. I promise you that."

Em already did. But the prize for declining his offer would ruin both families. Her regret was naught but a small compensation to save them all from scandal. She closed her eyes once more. If only that kiss never happened.

"Your Highness!" Margeary exclaimed and stood up. She also managed to pull up Emelia with her. "Thank you for inviting us tonight."

The King gave her a respectful smile, "Always a pleasure to see you, Countess." His eyes went to the count and his son before finally making its way to Em. "Have I forgotten you had a daughter?"

"Oh, no. You have not your grace. I do not have any other children. This is Miss Roderick."

Em immediately curtsied and tried to smile back. "Your Highness, it is a great honor to meet you."

"Rise, Miss Roderick. I believe I have heard of you before...you are quite the talk of the town when the season started." He looked her up and down, his eyes told her he was impressed. "Are you the dowager Lucille's ward? Or were you her friend?" The King asked.

She opened her mouth to reply but Margeary beat her to it, "She is indeed the dowager's ward, your Highness. And she is also joining our family soon. She has accepted my son's proposal."

"Indeed?" He seemed to approve of the Hanselworth's choice and immediately looked at Gideon, "Well, I believe felicitations are in order for you two. How about we make the announcement now?"

"Now?" Em asked. "Should you not be gracing the other guests with your presence?"

Margeary forced out a chuckle, "Oh, child. There are way too many guests tonight. I'm certain the King shall attend to them soon."

"I...I only meant...Apologies, your Highness. I was out line." Is there no other way to stall them? If the royals announced her engagement there was no more way out. She and Gideon will be officially betrothed. "I was merely concerned that we may taking your time. Forgive me, I have never been in the palace before and I am just...so overwhelmed."

The King laughed, "Fret not, Miss Roderick. All these guests can wait all night to come and speak with me. But announcing engagements is something I cannot pass up on. I would be happy to raise the glass for you and your fiancè."

"We are honored of course." Em said immediately. "Before we go such lengths, mayhap, we could excuse ourselves for a moment? A little bit of a lady's need? Your Highness?"

"Oh, well. I guess we can make room for a few minutes—"

"Everything is fine, your Highness." Margeary interrupted. "Besides, a lot of guests have already heard of the proposal. We need only to make it official." And then she put her hands on Em's waist, squeezing non too gently. "How about, we raise a toast?"

The King was too happy to oblige and had gestured for his Queen to come and join him. She came along with her ladies in waiting. He explained the situation and she immediately agreed to do the deed. She took a spoon and drummed on her glass.

"Everyone, everyone. May I have your attention please?" She said in a loud, clear voice.

The guests stopped talking and turned to them. Even the ones who just arrived also stopped to stare. Damian allowed Lydia to stand next to him, despite the dislike he felt. He shall endure to appear happily married just for tonight. As for his brother, his face was unreadable. They stood side by side and awaited what the Queen has to say.

She raised her glass and nodded at the King to step in. His booming voice broke the silence and said, "Tonight, I wish you all to help me congratulate our newly betrothed couple," he turned and pointed his glass to people behind him, "to Sir Gideon Hanselworth and Miss Emelia Roderick."

The crowd applauded and began to make raise their glasses as well. The Hanselworth's were beaming with pride. Gideon himself stood proud beside his fiancee.

When the applause calmed down, the Countess Margeary gave a little speech, "I thank you all for being us all tonight. We are excited and so happy to welcome Miss Roderick into our family. But this cannot be made possible without her guardian's love and support," she looked around and pointed at Lucille, "to the dowager duchess and the former duke of Hinley, we appreciate your blessing."

Lucille and Vincent gave them a warm smile but it never reached their eyes. They even looked isolated from the rest of the guests. With just the two of them on their table and the rest of the guests barely giving them attention.

"Let us join mother and father." Lydia said.

"You go on, duchess." Damian replied. "I have some unattended business waiting for me."

"But-"

"Do not test my patience tonight, wife. For I have very little of it."

She saw his hardened face and decided not to argue. Lifting her skirts, she left the brothers and went to her in-laws. They welcomed her warmly and somehow, the atmosphere no longer felt heavy.

"I shall meet you at the statue." Dathan murmured under his breath and left.

****

Behind the thick foliage, Dathan pulled his brother aside and punched him in the face. Damian almost fell if not for the huge statue standing in the middle of the garden. He touched his jaw and felt a sting of pain.

"Explain yourself!" His younger brother barked. "What did just happen back there?"

He flexed his jaw and was thankful it was not broken, "Em has decided to accept the knight's proposal."

"She would never! Not unless she was forced to. I could see it in her eyes, she did not wished to be there."

Damian exhaled and looked at his brother, "Which part of their engagement did you not understand?"

"I cannot fathom why on earth would she chose him. Why him? And you! You gave them your blessing did you not?."

"That man has offered for her and she has accepted. Who am I to come between? Besides, mother and father gave their approval of him.  I merely gave my blessing as the man of the house."

Dathan clenched his fists, "I cannot believe you'd give her away like that."

"Better you than him."

"What?!"

Damian grabbed his brother's lapels and pushed him against the wall, "It is done. You cannot do anything with all this whining."

"I cannot believe you'd stoop so low that you would hand her over to that monster rather than give her to me. Are you that afraid to lose to your own brother? Because you knew, Em was going to choose me! Is that it, Damian? I ought to challenge you to a duel."

"Gideon has changed. And I have never lost to anyone. Not even you. Besides, a duel is unnecessary—I am a married man. There is no way I would fight you over a woman."

"Pshaw! That man will never change. You knew about his past yet you allowed such vulgarity to happen. You are doing this to spite me because I dared to steal your woman."

"I am doing this for our own family's sake. I cannot allow you to marry someone beneath your station, you may be my spare but you are still a Davensport. Marrying her will taint our reputation, think of Julianna!"

Dathan threw him another punch and landed a hit on his sides.

"When will you ever understand that I care naught for image and whatever the others think? I can and will marry the woman I want. And for our sisters' sake, I shall not take a woman a mistress just because she is a servant. Emelia deserved to be a wife. If that shall mar our name then any man who thinks of naught but scandals does not deserve our sister. I shall make them understand that a woman is not a plaything. They have emotions and they are strong."

Damian ignored the pain on his ribs and attacked his brother. He managed to land him stinging blow on the face. "Are you that mad to want to cause a scandal? You have gone bonkers, have you not?"

Shaking off the pain, he replied, "Think about it brother. If we can establish such high regard for women then no man shall underestimate our sister. When the time comes for her to marry, she can pick the ones that are worthy. I am willing to make such sacrifice and face a raging scandal; not to destroy out family but to strengthen it."

"For crying out loud, Dathan! She is a Davensport. Only a stupid man will not chose Jules, our family riches alone shall entice everyone. You, causing a scandal will only make her a subject of never ending gossip. Many will want her but she will have doubts of herself and make poor choices because of your influence."

"One scandal shall not be our demise. I swear, our sister and even our mother will not be harmed."

"Enough, Dathan. Whatever you say does not change the fact that Gideon has chosen Em. I say let it go."

They struggled for a few more moments until Damian managed to push him down on the ground.

"Accept your loss, Dathan. She was never meant for any of us in the first place. At least with the Hanselworth's, she will rise and become a gentry. With me, she'd be nothing but a mistress and with you, she would be a second son's plaything."

His younger brother merely glared at him.

"I shall see you at the manor."

Dathan brushed himself up and said to his departing form, "You sentenced her to her death, Damian. Whatever happens to Em, I shall blame on you."

The Duke may heard him but he chose to walk away.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

67.2K 1.2K 37
"Why-why is he here?" I asked slightly feeling panicked. "Your father, Step- father owes me money. 36 million pounds to be exact." Stefan said as he...
5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...
44.6K 1.6K 23
"I don't have a heart . " he said leaning away from her touch . her light was too overwhelming for the darkness inside his very soul . he was the tr...
102K 6.6K 44
Completed ✨👸🏼 Born to the fairy elite, the royal line, next in line to take the crown, a queen to be announced on her next birthday, with her royal...