Haven Harbor • a.i. •

By cliffordpunkrock

"Being in love with Carter was the most beautiful and horrible thing at the same time; because I knew if I to... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100

Chapter 9

1K 46 2
By cliffordpunkrock

I shot up out of the bed like a bullet. The room was dark and my eyes took a few seconds to adjust before I could see, and when my vision cleared I wished I couldn't because the images in front of my eyes horrified me.

Shards of glass were covering my bed, my skin, my clothes and most importantly the boy on the floor.

"END!" I screeched and jumped down, ignoring the stinging in my legs and arms as the glass scratched me.

"Nnnnnnngh." A long whine escaped Ender's mouth and I could see tears in his eyes.

"Baby come here." I sat him up and he cried out when I grabbed his arm.

Immediately loosening my grip I gingerly held up his arm. It was bowed inwards and I automatically knew it was broken.

"It's gonna be okay baby, shh." I brushed some glass off of his face and clothes before carefully picking him up and carrying him down the stairs.

The storm still ragged on outside and I shook as a clap of thunder cracked in the sky.

Once I reached the couch I set Ender down and bolted into the kitchen grabbing a dish towel from a drawer and sticking my hands under the ice machine letting the freezing cubes fall into my shaking hands before wrapping them up. I rushed back over to Ender and lightly held the ice pack to his arm.

Tears streamed down his cheeks and his lip quivered but I could see he was unsuccessfully trying to keep himself from crying.

"It's okay, you can cry." I soothed him, petting his head and letting him calm down.

When he was calm enough I removed the ice pack and began to inspect his arm.

"Tell me where it hurts." I said calmly and he pointed to just above his wrist, I could already see the dark shadow of a bruise staring to form.

Suddenly a smack of thunder echoed around us and the front door smashed in, sharp fragments of glass flying everywhere.

I screamed as they projected towards us and tried to cover us both up with my body.

"Carter!" Ender screamed and I tried to hold him as close to me without hurting him.

I looked up and my heart broke at his petrified face. But I couldn't freak out, I had to take care of him and make sure he was okay first, if he saw I was scared then he would panic even worse.

"Hey, let's go into the laundry room okay." I picked him up again, wrapping his legs around my right hip and carried him into the laundry room. There were no windows or glass doors in there so I knew it would be a safe spot.

I set him down on the floor and ran back to get his ice pack.

"Okay, I need you to hold this against your arm where it hurts okay? I'm going to go get some things. Stay here." I kissed him on the forehead once before running back into the kitchen.

A notepad with a list of important numbers was on the refrigerator and I ripped it off the door and dashed upstairs like my life depended on it.

When I reached my room I ran in but the glass on the floor slipped underneath my foot and I fell, crashing down onto the glass toothed floor.

I cried out slightly at the pain in my knees and elbows. I grunted as I forced myself up and yanked my phone off the charger. Taking a slightly slower sprint across my floor I hurried downstairs.

As I unlocked my phone I noticed a text from Ash but ignored it, dialing the number for our pediatrician instead.

The phone rang a few times before a grumbly and sleepy voice answered the phone.

"Hello?" They mumbled.

"Dr. Carson?! This is Carter, Carter Chase. Ender fell and broke his arm and he's covered in glass and there's blood everywhere and -" I began to speak in a rushed voice so that my words ran together and in all honesty I didn't even understand myself.

"Carter honey, I need you to calm down. Are you at home?" Dr. Carson said in a fatherly tone.

"Yes." My voice came out strained.

"I'll be over as soon as I can. Are you icing his arm?"

"Yes." I nodded as I spoke.

"Okay, call me if anything else happens. I'll be there shortly."

He hung up and I threw my phone aside.

Ender's face was slightly calmer, only tear tracks stained his red cheeks. His eyes showed fear and panic and I panicked for him.

"Dr. Carson is on his way and we are going to fix your arm really quick okay?" I caressed his face and kissed him repeatedly.

Normally Ender would push me away and say I was smothering him or to stop babying him but right now he let me. I think he knew that I was scared too and we wanted to comfort each other.

So far I hadn't heard anymore thunders claps but I could still hear the rain pounding against the roof but I could tell the storm was starting to weaken.

I didn't know how long we sat there just holding onto each other but suddenly a shout of my name caused both of our heads to shoot up.

"That must be Dr. Carson." I let go of Ender carefully and rushed to where our front door used to be.

"Dr.Carson, in here." I called out and he stepped through the now blown out door and into the house, his shoes crunching the glass beneath them.

I ushered him into the laundry room where Ender sat against the wall. Dr. Carson kneeled down,setting down his medical kit and carefully brushed over Ender's arm.

"Tell me what happened Ender." Dr. Carson asked as he gently lifted Ender broken limb.

"We were sleeping and the window broke and it scared me so I fell off the bed and landed on my arm." Ender sniffled.

"I'm sorry buddy. It looks like it's broken but i'll have you come into my office to make sure."

Dr.Carson reached into the case he brought with him and pulled out a wrap and began to circle it around Enders arm. "I'll wrap it up until we can get you in a cast."

I stood by them while he wrapped it and bit my lip. I just wanted to curl up in a corner and sob right now, but I had to be strong for Ender.

Once Dr. Carson was done he gave Ender some pain pills and propped up his arm. After that he stood up,told Ender he would see him later and then we both walked out into the living room.

"Get him to my office as quickly as you can after the storm clears." He said.

"I will. Thank you." I nodded back.

He wished me well and then ducked back out the broken door.

When he was gone I went back into the laundry room where Ender's eyes were starting to droop, the pain meds kicking in.

I snatched a pillow and blanket from the couch and made him a make-shift bed on the laundry room floor.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to get Ender to the doctors office with my lovely bicycle transportation.

My phone was still on the floor and I reached for it before calling Ashton.

He answered on the fourth ring.

"Hey." He yawned.

"Sorry to wake you but Ender broke his arm and I need a ride to the doctors office." I bit my lip. Wow Carter, your first relationship and your needy already.

"Oh my god, yeah I'll be there soon." Ashton said, more awake now.

"Thanks." I said before hanging up.

Soft snores left Enders lips and I frowned at the hurt boy in front of me.

Deciding to check and see how much damage had been done I grabbed a broom and dust pan then headed upstairs to my bedroom.

The floor was covered in glass and so was almost everything else in there. I brushed shards off of my nightstand, dresser, and bed, letting them tumble to the floor.

The rug was lifted next and I shook out the glass, then shaking it out of my sheets, making sure all of the glass was out. I carried the blankets and rug downstairs and put them in the washer, starting it.

I hurried back upstairs and began to sweep the glass into piles. I was sweeping under the bed when I heard a panicked voice downstairs.

"Car?!"

"Upstairs!" I called and I heard the crunch of glass before heavy footsteps bounded up the wooden steps.

"Hey, what happened?!" Ashton came into the room behind me, his voice frantic.

"Storm blew out the windows." I explained, taking one last sweep under the bed before turning around.

"Oh my god, Carter you're bleeding!" Ashton exclaimed and I looked down, noticing my bloody knees and arms.

"Oh." Was all I said.

"Are you okay?" He said, placing his hands on my shoulders.

I nodded then leaned the broom against the wall. "Enders downstairs."

Ashton followed me into the laundry room and I picked up my little brother, careful of his arm.

"Carter are you sure you're okay?" Ashton seemed unconvinced.

"Yes, let's just go." I cradled Ender close to me and Ashton helped me through the door and down the docks to the parking lot.

The once torrential downpour of rain was nothing but a sprinkle now.

Ashton had the top up on his jeep when we reached the parking lot. He ran to unlock the door and had me pass Ender off to him so I could climb in and then he handed Ender to me, shut the door then ran around to the drivers side.

Speed seemed like a suggestion as Ashton flew down the slick roads.

I gave him directions to the doctors office but other than that the car was silent.

By the time we got there Ender was just starting to wake up.

"Car." He mumbled as we walked into the doctors office.

"It's okay baby." I soothed him, walking straight back to the exam room, Ashton hot on my heels.

Dr. Carson was setting up the supplies he needed for a cast.

"Hey Carter." He greeted me.

I set Ender down on the table and let the doctor do his job.

Ender would wince every once in a while and I cringed when he did. Seeing him in pain made me hurt along with him.

Ashton stood next to me, his hand resting on my shoulder. He wasn't being touchy and knew that I was stressed and concerned but the touch of his hand calmed me down and I appreciated the thought but I couldn't focus on him right now.

When Ender was casted up Dr. Carson gave him another pill.

"Okay Carter, let's gets you cleaned up." The doctor ushered me over and I sat up on the table as well, letting him clean and bandage my cuts. A few of them still had glass in them so he had to get tweezers to pull out the shards.

I didn't cry or complain about the pain, Ender couldn't see me hurting.

I could sense Ashton's anxiety from the doorway but I didn't dare look at him. I was embarrassed for him to see me like this.

Ender held my hand with his good arm and when the doctor got to one deep piece of glass embedded in my knee I squeezed it.

"Okay, that's all the glass." Dr.Carson announced and then cleaned up the cuts, placing bandages over my knees and elbows. "Let me know if you feel any sharp pains and I will take another look. Do you need any pain pills?"

I shook my head no and he gave me an unsure glance before I hopped down from the table and then helped Ender down.

"Bring him back in two weeks and we will check on his arm." Dr. Carson said and I told him I would before we left.

Ashton walked ahead of us, opening the doors and then helping me get Ender into the jeep. It was bright and sunny outside, a sick contrast to the events of the evening.

The car ride was silent and I kept looking back over my shoulder to see Ender wide awake now. I was waiting for the pill to kick in so I could put him to bed.

I knew that I had a choice to take care of Ender today and cancel all of our diving trips or call someone to watch him while I worked.

When we got back to the house I led Ender inside and he made himself comfortable on the couch, his eyes finally getting droopy.

"Thanks for the ride." I said to Ashton and I walked to find my phone and the list of our clients numbers.

"Of course. How are you feeling?" He said, lightly touching my arm right above my elbow.

"I'm fine. I just have to cancel our appointments today." I frowned slightly.

Every time we had to cancel an appointment it hurt the business. That was lost money we needed to keep the business running and after the dead season before hand we needed all the money we could get.

I sighed as I began to dial the first client.

"Hey, why don't I stay here with Ender and watch after him and you can go work?" Ashton offered.

"I couldn't possibly ask you to do that." I shook my head.

"I want to. If I didn't I wouldn't have offered." Ashton pulled me closer to him.

"You don't have to stay here with him, I can call Ari or Ms. Rodriguez. I don't want you to feel like your obligated to." I said in a small voice.

"Carter listen to me. I want to stay here. I don't feel obligated or anything. I'm your boyfriend, let me be there for you. Okay?" He kept contact with my eyes during his speech.

I bit my lip and nodded. Ash smiled and gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

"Now go get ready for work." Ashton chuckled and I noticed I was still in my pyjamas.

I blushed before jogging up the stairs and into my war zone of a bedroom, throwing on shorts and a tee and flip flops.

When I got back downstairs Ashton was looking through the cabinets in the kitchen.

"Where's your cups?" Ashton asked and I walked to where they were, opening the door for him.

"Thanks." He brushed against me as I pulled my hair into a messy ponytail.

Ashton filled the glass with water and walked over to where Ender was laying on the couch with his arm now propped up on a green pillow.

I grabbed an apple from a bowl on the island and then walked over to the boys.

"Hey Ash is gonna stay here with you while I go work, mk?" I brushed some hair across Enders forehead.

Ender nodded sleepily. "Sorry I can't help you." He frowned.

"Don't you worry." I gave him a quick kiss, "Just rest up and let that arm heal."

I gave Ash a quick smile and then went to the "front door" that no longer was.

"Love you End!" I called and then went out to the shop to get the day started.

--

By lunch time I was physically and emotionally exhausted. Running the boat tours wasn't too difficult to do by myself, just a little more work on my part but I had been doing that for years until Ender was old enough to help me.

When I got back from the third tour of the day a grilled cheese sandwich and glass of lemonade were sitting on the front desk.

I smiled when I realised that Ashton had brought me lunch. He really was the sweetest thing.

After lunch I had three more tours and then I was done, now drained of all energy.

I locked up and went into the house, noticing that where the glass window once was in the front door was now covered with a big piece of plywood.

Inside Ender was sitting on the couch watching a movie, his arm still on the pillow and a glass of lemonade in his other hand.

The front floor had been swept of all glass and cleaned up.

I heard a noise behind me and turned to see Ashton hanging up the phone in the kitchen, a grin on his face.

"How was today?" He asked, walking towards me.

"Good." I sighed with a smile. He moved in to kiss my head and I moved away. "No I'm all sweaty."

"I don't care." He said and rolled his eyes playfully before pulling me back to kiss my temple.

"You fixed the door." I noted and Ash nodded.

"Yea, I don't feel comfortable with you not having something covering it so I improvised." He shrugged.

"Well thank you." I smiled. "Who was on the phone?"

"Oh I was ordering take out for dinner. Ender said chicken fried rice was your favourite?" Ashton quirked an eyebrow.

"Mhmm. Thank you." I smiled. Walking over to the couch I kneeled in front of Ender. "How you feeling bro?"

"I'm fine, arms kinda sore though." He shrugged and then winced.

"Well let's eat dinner and then you can take another pain pill then go to bed." I caressed his head.

He nodded and I jumped back up.

"I'm gonna go take a shower before dinner gets here." I announced and then bounded up the steps.

I got to the shower and turned on the water, letting it steam up the mirror before stripping down and getting in. I did my normal routine, scrub, shave, shampoo, then hopped out as quick as I got in.

Wrapping up in a towel I bolted to my room and noticed when I walked in that the glass had been swept up, the window covered with wood as well.

I closed the door while I changed into black sweatpants that bunched around the ankles, a white tank top and a grey hoodie over that.

Once I was dressed and my wet hair was up in a bun I padded downstairs where Ashton was paying the delivery guy.

"Thanks mate." Ashton said and the guy waved before leaving.

"Smells good." I quirked."Oh and thanks for lunch today." I touched Ashton's shoulder as I walked by him to get forks.

"No problem." He grinned while unpacking the large brown paper sack with our food inside.

We took our containers to the sofa and I handed Enders his, his face lighting up when he saw the orange chicken.

"One day En, you will become orange chicken." I shook my head with a little smirk on my face.

"Shut up." He stuck his tongue out at me and I laughed.

"Ashton what did you get?" I said as I took a bite of my food.

"Lo mein." He took a bite and my jaw dropped as a gasp escaped my lips.

"Out of all the dishes on the menu you choose that one." I said in a fake snobby tone.

"Yes? Are you judging my choice in Chinese cuisine." He raised an eyebrow.

"Since you eat that", I nodded towards his food,"then yes. How could you choose that over something so classic and sophisticated as chicken fried rice."

"How could you choose something so boring as fried rice. It's so basic, I like to spice things up." He played along in our "serious discussion".

"Whatever," I shrugged, "I'd start questioning my food choices if I were you."

Ashton laughed then and took another bite making sure to smile as he did so.

"I think i'll be just fine." He winked.

After dinner we cleaned up the living room and then I got Ender into bed, him complaining that he wouldn't be able to sleep with his arm in a cast but after one pain pill he was out like a light.

When I went downstairs after tucking him in Ashton was sitting on the couch, one of his legs folded under him and the other bent. He had the remote in his hand flipping through the channels.

I said nothing as I sat next to him on the couch and he decided on a channel finally.

He was the first one to speak.

"So I have a question." He stated hesitantly.

"Shoot." I said, not tearing my gaze from the television.

"Do you feel like I pressured you into being in a relationship with me?" He said quickly, almost as if he was trying to get it over with.

"What?" I turned to him now, hitting mute on the remote. "What are you talking about?"

"Well," He moved nervously and tried to avoid eye contact, "Today when you were saying how you didn't want me to feel obligated to take care of Ender just because we are together got me thinking and I wanted to make sure you didn't feel obligated to say yes to being my girlfriend just because I asked you. I know we only knew each other for like two weeks before and I'm your first boyfriend and I don't want you to feel like you had to say yes because you have a choice." Ashton fiddled with his fingers the whole time he was talking.

"Ash, I said yes because I like you. I don't feel like I was pressured into this okay? And yes we didnt know each other long before but we are still learning about each other and that's okay. As long as we both feel the same way about each other I don't think anything else matters." I placed my hands on his nerve-racked hands to calm him.

He nodded and a smile spread across his face.

"Come here." He opened his arms and moved his leg down so I could sit closer to him. I leaned my side against his and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Thank you for today." I said after we got adjusted.

"You say thank you a lot ." Ashton noted.

"Well I have a lot to be thankful for." I shrugged.

We sat in silence and Ashton traced little shapes and pictures over the bandages on my right elbow.

Tomorrow was going to be another long day I thought until a sudden epiphany hit me. The towns Christmas parade was tomorrow, the docks would be closed because everyone was going to be in town.

I sat up with a big smile on my face and Ashton looked at me confused.

"What?" He quirked.

"How would you like to go on a date tomorrow, but I get to plan it?" I asked sitting back on my feet and Ashton grinned.

"I'm in."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 5 100
A 17 year old girl moves from her home country, New Zealand, and tries to start a new life. But memories from her past start coming back when she mee...
20.8K 514 43
17 year old Rebecca Hayes finds out she's adopted and tryes to find her birth parents. On her little journey she finds out she has a brother who is i...
13.9K 215 36
Jasmine Irwin was stuck in an abusive relationship. Her brother Ashton found out, and so did her brothers best friend... Luke. Jasmine knows she hate...
305 31 8
"We're going to Australia." "Seriously?" Delilah is shocked that she is going to Australia for one of her dad's business trip. For the short month...