Danganronpa: Memento Mori

Galing kay Reborn4Dog

"Kaori Hotaru, the Ultimate Weaver, finds her school life to be far different from what she expected. She mee... Higit pa

Disclaimer
Prologue, Part I
Prologue, Part II
Prologue, Part III
Chapter 1, Part I
Chapter 1, Part II
Chapter 1, Part III
Chapter 1, Part IV
Chapter 1, Part V
Chapter 1, Part VI
Chapter 1, Part VII
Chapter 2, Part I
Chapter 2, Part II
Chapter 2, Part III
Chapter 2, Part IV
Chapter 2, Part V
Chapter 2, Part VI
Chapter 2, Part VII
Chapter 3, Part I
Chapter 3, Part II
Chapter 3, Part IV
Chapter 3, Part V
Chapter 3, Part VI
Chapter 3, Part VII
Chapter 3, Part VIII
Chapter 4, Part I
Chapter 4, Part II
Chapter 4, Part III
Chapter 4, Part IV
Chapter 4, Part V
Chapter 4, Part VI
Chapter 4, Part VII
Chapter 5, Part I
Chapter 5, Part II
Chapter 5, Part III
Chapter 5, Part IV
Chapter 5, Part V
Chapter 5, Part VI
Chapter 5, Part VII
Chapter 6, Part I
Chapter 6, Part II
Chapter 6, Part III
Chapter 6, Part IV
Chapter 6, Part V
Chapter 6, Part VI
Epilogue

Chapter 3, Part III

87 1 2
Galing kay Reborn4Dog

Chapter 3: Best-Laid Schemes, Part III (Daily Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Monokuma: Wakey-wakey! Rise and shine, ursine! ...Wow, haven't heard that phrase in a while. Well, when you're operating solo, it's best to perform a few old traditions - for old time's sake! Upupupu~

Yet again, I was woken up by Monokuma's twisted greeting to a new day. Clearly, he held no regard over the fact that 4 of us were dead, he wanted more of us dead, and he had more than likely made that girl dead. I performed the usual ritual to get ready for what would come next, then made my way to the mess hall.

All of us had gathered at the mess hall and were engaging in various activities - yes, even Madoka, that no-good hellion. Souta, for instance, was now holding a fairly large (around the length of his arm up to his elbow) sketchbook, in which he had already drawn some initial doodles of figures I couldn't recognise. Meanwhile, Ayane was sitting next to Daigo, and she alternated between shooting him some quick glances with a smile, and calmly sipping the cup of tea in her hand.

But the most troubling aspect was Yukiharu and Kozue staring each other off, as if they were about to start an argument at any moment. And eventually that was exactly what happened, complete with others butting in to support whoever they considered to be in the right.

Kozue: So, last night I proposed that we'd all spend time together holding a pool party so that we would think twice about listening to Monokuma.

Ayane: Yes you did.

Kozue: What do you guys think about it?

Yukiharu: ...The fuck are you talking about?

Kozue: The pool party!

Yukiharu: Are you kidding me, Kozue? Monokuma showed us footage of a girl being drowned in god knows where and you think a pool party's going to solve all of our problems?! Get a fucking grip!

Daigo: What's gotten into you, Yukiharu?! Weren't we meant to be heroes together-

Yukiharu: This isn't your problem, Daigo! The problem here is that we're supposed to take direct action against Monokuma, and she's instead got some hare-brained scheme that won't solve the problem at all!

Daigo: I know you want to stop him. We all want to stop the murdering. But Kozue's got the right idea! If we are friends, then-

Yukiharu: Don't you dare preach to me, Daigo!

Luka: But Daigo, Monokuma's scaring me now...

Daigo: Take no heed of him. Just think of him as some toy spouting nonsense.

Madoka: "Nonsense" that could get us all killed, suicidal blockhead.

Hirou: Settle down, everyone. Clearly this is spiralling out of control, and I don't want to see anybody dead because of this.

Umiko: I-I don't like this...

Hirou: Leave. Leave for your own safety.

Umiko: Thanks, Hirou. Back to my dorm, I guess.

Yukiharu: Monokuma is torturing a girl as we speak! We must act - NOW!

Masao: Fuyumura-kun, what you say rings true. Face the dilemma head-on instead of trying to avoid it. That was what she told me.

Yukiharu: Finally, someone who means sense here!

Ayane: It appears that the group has reached a consensus, Kozue. Your idea may seem reasonable on paper, but it appears that the rest of us consider it too idealistic to be put into place. Have I made myself clear?

Kozue: Yeah, I guess. But if anybody's still interested, then meet me at around the early evening, okay?

Yukiharu: Fuck that!

Yukiharu then stormed out of the mess hall in a huff. Most of us left with him: Umiko had already left to lock herself in her dorm room upon Hirou's urging, Madoka walked away "innocently" whistling, and Souta stumbled out of the door flipping through his sketchbook. I was the last to leave.

----

(Free Time Event #11: Kozue Sumiyoshi)

I wasn't really interested in what Kozue was planning to do in order to lift our spirits, but when she mentioned her senpai last time we talked, I just had to find out what became of her. Thankfully, she was easy to find; she had made a beeline to the swimming pool, as if she was scouting out the place.

Kozue: Oh, hey there Kaori! Fancy seeing you here. Are you interested in listening to what I have to say?

Kaori: Sure. Go ahead.

Kozue: Thanks a lot! You see, my plan for a little party was meant to unite us all. People didn't really take kindly towards it, but it would have solved the problem... I guess.

Kaori: Kozue, can I say something unrelated to the pool party?

Kozue: Oh?

Kaori: Last time we had a serious talk, you mentioned your senpai on the volleyball team.

Kozue: Well, um, well...

Kaori: (She appeared to be thinking heavily about what to say next.)

Kozue: Yeah! Just remembered! She was the one everyone looked up to!

Kaori: ...What happened to your senpai, again?

Kozue: (sigh) She had to untimely quit.

Kaori: Why?

Kozue: It was a normal game. We were facing off against another high school team, but... She landed a bit funny and broke her leg. It never quite healed back to the way it was. Obviously, she couldn't play volleyball with a broken leg, so... she had to quit.

Kaori: That's... how you became the star player on the volleyball team, am I right?

Kozue: Yeah. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty, knowing that she could have been the Ultimate Volleyball Player in my stead. But on the other hand... I feel a bit relieved that she's safe out there.

Kaori: Rather heavy thoughts, don't you think?

Kozue: Yep. Listen, j-just go, okay? I need some time.

Kaori: Right. Okay then. Bye.

Kozue: Bye. Talk to you later.

Kozue and I grew more closer.

----

(Free Time Event #12: Kaiji Kudo)

He had always struck me as a rather odd fellow, Kaiji Kudo. He appeared to have some rather severe self-esteem issues, often referring to himself as "worthless", but also a rather troubling feeling of resentment against us for apparently upstaging him. When I decided to confront him about these aspects, I found him in the second floor's library. He always appeared to have an affinity for that place.

Kaiji: Uh... hello there, Kaori. You appear to be glaring at me rather insistently... do you have any questions to ask me?

Kaori: Yes, I do.

Kaiji: Ask away at your own risk.

His words were a bit ominous in hindsight. I felt like I was walking on eggshells.

Kaori: Right then... Why do you feel so down in the dumps all the time?

Kaiji: I have to admit, I've got a severe jealousy complex. Every day, I have to hear about the exploits and triumphs of others, and I just die a little more inside.

Kaori: ...For real?

Kaiji: There's no way I'm going to compete with these kind of people! They're like gods walking among men! And here I am, a lowly little boy who's only claim to fame is that I'm a little bit smarter when it comes to crimefighting.

Kaori: And...?

Kaiji: And even then, here I never really get the chance to prove my worth! Everybody else always gets their time to shine first! Wonder why I feel so worthless and weak now, Kaori?! Knowing that I have such great talent, and always unable to actually practice it?!

Kaori: But Kaiji, you must be good at something. After all... why did you become the Ultimate Private Investigator again?

Kaiji: ...

Kaori: Kaiji. Everyone's good at something. Ultimate or not, they all have something that they can excel at.

Kaiji: What's the point you're trying to make here?

Kaori: Hope's Peak Academy must have recognised your potential. And that's why they gave you the title of Ultimate Private Investigator. Because, as I said earlier, everyone's good at something. You are no exception. Believe in yourself.

Kaiji: If it helps, it helps.

Kaori: I'm actually rather glad that I-

Kaiji: I have nothing else to say.

Kaori: Oh. Farewell, then.

Kaiji: Farewell to you as well... for now.

Kaiji and I grew a little closer.

----

Once all was said and done there, a strange feeling overwhelmed me, and I decided to investigate what was the cause. It eventually led me to enter one of the third floor's classrooms, where I came across Kozue and Masao. They appeared to be discussing a plan about what to do next - after all, Kozue's proposal of a pool party had crashed and burned that morning.

Kozue: Now, I've been thinking; not a lot of people want to hang out with each other. Like Yukiharu, for instance. He really went off on one against me, huh?

Masao: That is correct. And the problem is that we know Monokuma is guilty of numerous crimes against us.

Kozue: Y'know, I'm actually kinda getting sick of him myself. So here's a proposal. You were one of those not interested in the pool party, correct?

Masao: Indeed, Sumiyoshi-san.

Kozue: Then why not try to take him down? Give 'im a thrashing so hard he'll regret everything he's done to us!

Masao: That sounds appealing. But I would not hold back, if I was you. I intend to kill him.

Killing Monokuma. A valiant, but dangerous action. After all, the rules forbid any sort of violence against the headmaster - which Monokuma was. Nevertheless, I declined to call him out on it.

Kozue: For real?

Masao: For real. That way, I could make up for the mistake I made with Hanazawa-san.

Kozue: Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Masao: I shall do the deed in front of everyone else, so they can sleep soundly with the knowledge that the monster is dead. In fact, his demise could lead us to an exit out of here.

Kozue: Wait a second... an exit?! You're saying that Monokuma's death will allow us to get out of here? Well in that case, I'm all for it. Nail him, Masao! I believe in you!

Masao: Sumiyoshi-sama, please gather up our fellow students. You are the glue that holds us together.

Kozue: Okay then! Where do we meet up?

Masao: Find me on the third floor, okay?

Kozue: You've got it, Masao! And- oh, hey, Kaori! Fancy seeing you here.

Kaori: ...Should I help you out?

Kozue: I got on a few other people's bad side, and you seem pretty trustworthy, so... yeah!

And with that, Kozue and I ran off to tell the others about Masao's plan to get rid of Monokuma once and for all. Most were as cautiously optimistic as I was - they knew Masao didn't have high chances of victory, but if it meant the end of the Killing Game that had already killed 4 of us and could claim more victims, then so be it. Madoka was the only one to decline the invitation, and Ayane decided to stay behind so that she wouldn't cause any trouble.

----

Once me and Kozue had managed to convince almost everyone to meet up with Masao, we assembled in some nondescript hallway on the third floor. The red-haired tanned man, clad in his teal kendo uniform and armed with his wooden sword, stood in front of us, staring into the distance. Out of respect, we stood back and watched.

Souta: Hmm...? Masao?

Masao: Yes?

Souta: What are you waiting for?

Masao: Him. And us.

Souta: Ah, I see.

Luka: Hmm... It'll probably be a spectacular display of violence.

Hirou: Luka, did you really mean that?

Luka: Of robot pieces, Hirou. That's totally what I meant~

Hirou: ...Just don't creep us out further. He needs to concentrate.

As soon as Masao had confirmed that almost all of us were to witness him hopefully overwhelm and subdue Monokuma, he faced forward and yelled his quarry's name at the top of his voice.

Masao: Monokuma!

As if he had been summoned to him, the half-white, half-black bear appeared at the other end of the hallway.

Monokuma: Oh? You wanted me or something?

Masao: Today is the day.

Monokuma: Mmm, what do you mean by that?

Masao: You will answer for your crimes against us. Because of you, Ren Kurusu and Yura Ouka damned themselves, and I feel as though they wouldn't have done so if it weren't for your loathsome presence on this world. With my sword, Mugen Kojima and Haruhi Hanazawa will be avenged, and their untimely cut short lives will be vindicated. And even though I do not even know this woman's name, you have put her in grave danger for nothing other than sick satisfaction.

Monokuma: Just get to the point-

Masao: I find you guilty, Monokuma! And to bring forth justice, true justice, not the twisted form of justice you practice... YOU SHALL DIE!

As soon as the last word left his lips, Masao then charged towards Monokuma, his bokken extended outwards as if he was attempting to impale the miniature beast with it. But as soon as he reached Monokuma and raised his wooden sword overhead in an attempt to strike...

A spear appeared out of nowhere and jammed itself through Masao's torso.

His only acknowledgement of the wound was a short grunt of pain, and a little bit of blood out of his mouth. He continued to swing his bokken again and again at Monokuma, and with each futile attempt to kill the bear, another spear was summoned to impale him. More blood was trickling out of his mouth now, and his movement was becoming slower with each and every impalement.

Eventually, he collapsed onto his knees, his breathing ragged and heavy as he supported himself with his bokken. Masao mustered up the strength for one final swing of it towards Monokuma, but alas, it hit the ground instead, snapping in half as it made contact. After that, he weakly turned his head towards us, and uttered his final words.

Masao: Everyone... (cough) Live on... (cough) So that my death... won't be... gah... in vain.

With those words, he slumped over forward onto the floor, and a moment later he stopped breathing.

Masao Mifune, the Ultimate Kendo Team Captain, was dead.

----

Chapter 3: Best-Laid Schemes, Part III, End

11 Remain

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

51 13 13
Good day everyone! I, Monokuma, am back for another killing game! It's Christmas time and everyone's READY to get festive but why should I let that h...
2.3K 53 41
Getting accepted into Hope's Peak University is supposed to set you up as a success once you graduate, but has this changed? Maru Tsukiyama is a youn...
3.5K 163 34
Hope's Peak Academy is the school for Ultimates, students who are the best at what they do. That was before Hope's Peak was attacked by despair, and...
40.4K 1.2K 95
Kuro Baiorin finds herself trapped in a large grand Academy called 'The Nozomu Academy of The Skilled and Talented', along with 15 other people. Stu...