DOUBLE X

Από xWIZDUMBx

Two years after witnessing her parents' murder, Deshia moves back into her home town of Arlington, Texas. Be... Περισσότερα

Preface: Snippet
Chapter 1: First For Everything
Chapter 2: Rarely Have I Ever
Chapter 3: On My Own
Chapter 4: Times After The Next
Chapter 5: Thoughts of Fears
Chapter 6: Lost Causes
Chapter 7: Comfortability
Chapter 8: The Opening Note
Chapter 9: Wild For The Streets
Chapter 10: Down For The Ride
Chapter 11: If Only You Knew
Chapter 12: No Playing It Safe
Chapter 13: Setting Boundaries
Chapter 14: All I Have
Chapter 15: The Compelling Story
Chapter 17: Mi Familia
Chapter 18: Trust Without A Doubt

Chapter 16: Sounds Crazy To Me

74 4 5
Από xWIZDUMBx

After Deshia came clean about her past, I decided to take her to a place my mind continually relapsed on.

An hour into our trip I figured it wouldn't hurt to stop for gas. Insisting that she should stay in the car, her pride took over and I loaned her my card so she could pay for gas.

Telling her I'd be back, I headed into the store skimming along the aisles for something to snack on.

Coming across the items Deshia asked for, I found something suitable enough for my cravings and headed back to the front.

Looking up from the register, my eyes connected with Deshia speaking to someone on the opposite side of the pump. Watching as he handed her something, she slipped it into her back pocket looking in the direction of the store.

"Sir?" I jumped facing forward. "You ready to pay or what?" The cashier smacked and I realized the customers before me had already left.

"Yeah." I shook off looking back in the direction of the pumps. Not seeing the car on the opposite side anymore, I refocused pulling out a few bills to pay for the items.

"Would you like a receipt?" The clerk extended.

"Nah, preciate it." I answered grabbing the bag and heading for the door.

Hearing the bell ring as I exited, I looked towards my vehicle seeing Deshia sitting back in the car. Tapping away at her phone, I got in handing over the bag.

"Thanks." She began to rummage through finding the lemonade she'd asked for. Still keeping my focus on her to grab her attention, she looked back up. "What?" She reached for her back pocket handing over my card. Without moving an inch and my expression remaining the same her eyes bucked. "What negro?"

"Ion know. You tell me?" My brow went up insinuating not to stall.

With a huff, she threw back some of her lemonade. "They're tracking me."

"All the way out here?"

"Hell yeah, gotta make sure my ass ain't running." Her voice began to echo. "Bad enough they're catching me with you." She added.

"What you don't wanna be seen with me now?" I said with an attitude as I put on my seatbelt.

"You know that's not what I meant." She rolled her eyes.

"I saw him give you something. What was it?" I began to put the car in drive.

"Information." She said as I merged into the open road again.

"So that's what we're doing?" I smacked.

"What?"

"One word responses." I cleared and she just shrugged looking out into the distance and the car ride fell silent.

I knew I was pushing yet again, but I needed to find out everything I could about Deshia and her past before I got Cory involved. I couldn't have him willing to protect her without him knowing there would be casualties.

Knowing that it was my turn to meet halfway I found some courage in the pit of my stomach to say the next thing weighing on my mind.

"My sister died in a car accident about a year ago." I managed to get her attention again.

"What was her name?" She mouthed just above a whisper.

"Mya." I smiled just a bit. It had been so long since I'd spoken her name out loud. "She'd finally convinced me to take her to the tracks that night. I knew my gut was telling me otherwise and I should've listened." I shook my head. "I'd told her to stay close and she did. We even ran a few races together. Probably one of the best nights I had just from her navigating me." My mind began to think back to the accident. Gripping the wheel, I held back the tears trying to escape from my eyes. "It was something about that last race that just wasn't right. I wasn't aware then, but I should've never let her get in the car with me." I began to feel guilty all over again.

"It's not your fault Sean." Deshia mouthed.

"I wish I could believe that." I shook. "I honestly wish I could." I ended with defeat. "She was so excited though. It had been the most I'd seen her smile since our pops left and I didn't wanna spoil her excitement." I summed up ready to continue on. "The last race had been against our rivals. They'd been getting under our skin all night so I threw in the towel and made a bet the shot caller couldn't refuse. The race had been dirty from the start." I shook again. "Nearly a few yards from the finish line, we were t-boned straight into a light pole. The last thing I remember is waking up in the hospital and my mother crying near my bedside. I asked countless times where Mya was and each time my mom sobbed even more. Once my doctor knew that I was awake the first thing I'd asked him about was her. It took him forever to tell me the truth which made me even angrier." I could feel myself getting tensed all over again as I relived those moments. With huge a breath, I calmed myself down ready to finish. "After numerous attempts of the doctors trying to bring her back, my sister died just as I had woken up." I ended not wanting to go into any further.

"Survivors guilt isn't easy Sean." Deshia said openly. "Take it from someone who knows." The thought of her parents came across my mind. "You're not suffering alone." Her soft hands circled around my own. "Trust me." She said with a smile letting my hand go freely.

With our thoughts occupying the silence yet again, I thought back to the night I'd came back to check on her. "You still haven't told me what happened."

"About?" She lingered as she made herself more comfortable.

"The night I dropped you off." I looked over seeing that she closed her eyes.

"Haven't we discussed enough already?" She pouted.

"The more we discuss now, the better we can understand each other. So what happened?" I said blatantly just as her eyes finally opened.

Giving her the look that I wasn't bulging she huffed turning completely towards me with her knees pulled into her chest and her head against the window.

"Big T has a thing for me." She mumbled.

"By thing?" I lingered needed her to clarify.

"Ever since he was recruited, Wes gave him the job to track my whereabouts. Whether it was for a job or a simple trip to the bathroom, I could never get as far as I did my first few times of running. One day T had gotten tired of my disappearances and made a deal with me." My mind began to wander to the worst as she continued. "He said he would no longer track my whereabouts as long as I gave him something in return." She laughed nonchalantly. "I was so naive back then." She shook her head looking out into the distance. "The amount of times I let him take advantage of me—" she paused for a bit. "All I know is he'd be dead by now if I really had my way." I looked over catching her closing her eyes again. "The night you dropped me off was the last night I'd decided not to be the victim. And as you can see he didn't like that." She smirked. "But he fucked up this time." She said confidently.

"How so?" I tried my hardest to hold back the anger hidden under my voice.

"He let his emotions get the best of him. Instead of thinking as a man of the cartel he acted out his own desires. It's the reason I'd gotten so close to taking him out." She conveyed. "My parents had always painted this picture of what love should look like. Their kind of love was a love I'd hoped to have one day. But after being used as a tool for so long, that fairytale died along with them." She summed.

Trying to hold back my vengeful thoughts, I gripped the steering wheel as tightly as I could without losing my concentration on the road. Deciding that I could only be there for Deshia in the way I would if my sister were still here, I settled on a statement that was less vindictive. "Does anyone else know?"

She slightly shifted as she shook her head. "No, just you." She ended as she folded her arms over her chest and turned her face into the head rest.

Knowing that that was the last thing I would get out of her, I turned up the radio's volume allowing the music to occupy my own thoughts.

Being closer to our destination, I made another glance over at Deshia making sure she was alright. She'd been periodically jumping in and out of her sleep and it kind of concerned me knowing that she was possibly having a nightmare.

After pulling the last of her energy to tell me the truth, I kinda felt guilty for forcing her to remember those experiences. It was bad enough she was making new ones, but she has yet to heal over the ones she most likely wants to forget.

"Where are we going that's so far?" She mumbled slightly scaring me from my thoughts.

"We're almost there. I promise." I smiled as she mumbled and mmhm.

"You know you jolt in your sleep." I began figuring she was now fully awake.

"It's to keep all the demons away." She said jokingly as she opened her eyes.

Not really finding her statement amusing, I relaxed understanding that this was her way of coping.

"It was a joke Sean." She playfully swatted my arm.

"You got a fucked up sense of humor."

She smacked her lips. "Booooo." She hollered and suddenly I found myself itching at a smile. Not because of the topic but because her sarcastic behavior was actually cute.

"I'm sorry you even have to go through all this."

"Would you quit with the sentiments." She flagged down. "I know you're sorry, everyone's sorry." She shrugged. "I appreciate your empathy, but it won't change anything that has happened." She said convincingly.

"Deshia I'm serious. Stop playing the tough card. You have people you can depend on. No matter how hard you try to deflect." I stated mostly as a warning.

"So what, you and Cory are setting up witness protection."

"If we have to." I felt her eyes dart in my direction.

"Oh you really are being serious." She reasoned.

"Hell yeah I'm being serious. You still thinking this shit a game. BM will not stop until he gets what he wants."

"What are you gonna say about the ambush?" She crossed her arms.

"Already taken care of." I cleared feeling her eyes still on me. Looking in her direction she was giving me the same expression I gave her earlier about one word responses. Not bulging she caved knowing I wasn't saying anything extra.

"Consider us even." She said with an attitude.

"All you need to think about is staying safe alright." I patted her leg.

"Sean you can't shield me forever."

"I know." I simply ended as I pulled into our location's parking lot.

Since watching Deshia race the other night, I constantly felt the need to get behind the wheel again. After my sister's death I'd stopped completely. Not out of fear, but because I couldn't get my head right. At times I've found myself trickling back into old habits, I figured if I got behind the wheel again I could get the answers I was looking for.

Though I had the crew, deep down I knew there was still something missing in my life. And somehow lately, I've been repeatedly reminded of simpler times; back when I stayed with my moms, before seriously hustling and my continuous acts of immaturity.

It was the childhood I naively missed out on.

Although, those thoughts led me back here. To the one place where I knew I could find answers. It was Arlington's famous race track-

"The Groves?" Deshia stole the words right outtah my head as she slammed the passenger door.

Her expression was filled with awh as we walked to back entrance of the arena.

How the hell did she know? My mind blatantly began to wonder.

As my eyes cut to hers I asked, "Whatchu know about The Groves?"

"What skilled racer doesn't know?" She said in a duh tone. "I practically own this place." She said sort of to herself.

"Whatchu mean?" She turned around beginning to walk backwards.

"If you don't know the history behind this place, then you shouldn't be allowed to race here." She smirked turning around to open the janky gate to enter.

Since it was so early in the day barely anyone was here. Checking my phone, I received several alerts from the crew checking in on my whereabouts. Catching a glimpse at one of the messages I understood I had a rude welcoming from coach when I got back.

Tucking my phone away, I concentrated on Deshia being mesmerized by the track.

Guessing that it had been a while since either of us had been back, we took personal moments to glance around at the arenas landscape.

I wasn't sure how long it had been, but everything still looked and felt the same. On both ends of the track, there were two concession stands built and a set of metal bleachers connected to the fences.

When Dre used to bring me here, the arena was crowded with people. There was never a weekend when The Groves was not busy. And now, it's mostly a ghost track. Only certain people such as Deshia and I still knew about this place. And as time went on, drifting became a thing of the past and with an increase in drugs infiltrating the city, there was new hype in earning fast cash.

As Deshia and I peered from behind a few bushes, we noticed a race was about to start. There were three cars lined up near the starting line and a few people on the dock cheering the drivers on.

Waiting until the light turned green, the cars took off making the loudest noise you could here about a mile back.

"How do you know about this place?" Deshia caught my attention.

"Ugh, I used to come up here when Dre and I first met." I began to reminisce back. "A few years later, we introduced the rest of the crew and it became our natural hang out spot."

"Mmhh." She nodded as the cars made their way closer to our area. With the bleachers vibrating and the gates beginning to shake, the cars drifted past making the race even more intriguing.

"God I miss this place!" Deshia called out as the wind gained control over her hair. "My dad and I practically lived here when I was a kid." She began to explain as we continued towards the entrance. "If he wasn't racing for money, sometimes he would sit me on his lap as he drove and let me take over the wheel for a few hours."

"I know he has hella tickets?" I joked.

"Actually he does." She smiled. "They're all wrapped up in a box at the shop if you wanna see em."

"Hell yeah, you got any-."

"Ayeee!" Someone hollered over. "Get y'all thieving asses over here!" The shot-caller yelled.

Smiling to myself because I knew who it was, Deshia and I headed over to the dock where everyone else was huddled up. Whenever I referred to my big bro down south, Dez was the person I was talking about.

Unlike the crew and I, Dez wasn't heavily into the whole underground shit. Due to being caught up in his early stages of life he found legal ways to earn his money. However, when it came down to researching off the grid weapons and information, he carried out a few deals for us that didn't involve BM.

He knew first hand how dangerous this lifestyle was. And with his guidance; considering other things BM involved his business with, I couldn't risk the crew and I's fingerprints getting on the wrong merchandise.

He was there for me whenever I needed time away from the crew and the never ending jobs. He had my back whenever I couldn't get myself together and always gave me advice when I needed it. Other than Cory being on my ass from time to time, Dez made sure I wasn't getting too caught up in the game.

Though I hadn't physically seen him since Mya's funeral, we'd always kept in contact over the phone.

Thinking we were apart of the group that was now leaving, he turned in our direction.

"Merc- I mean Deshia?" His whole demeanor changed with the addition of mines. Deshia's name wasn't the first thing I expected to come outtah his mouth.

How did they know each other?

With the roll of her eyes she folded her arms. "It's cool idiot he knows." She leaned up against a wooden piece beginning to pick at her fingers.

"Sean?" His eyes shifted from her to me as if he couldn't believe we were standing in front of him.

"The hell y'all doing here?" He asked shockingly.

"You saying it as if you not happy to see us." I said amusingly as we dabbed each other up.

"Nah." He shook trying to gather the rest of the safety equipment. "I'm just shocked." He smiled a bit. "Didn't expect to see familiar faces today." He said with honest as his eyes landed back on Deshia.

With my brow rising, I knew something was definitely up. Just from the way they stared at each other. The vibe was off.

"Am I missing something?" I broke the winded silence.

Deshia sighed rolling her eyes yet again.

"Man I used to change this girl's dirty ass diapers." Dez finally answered while playfully reeling Deshia into a hug. "Practically raised her and DeAndre lil badasses."

"Yeah by a couple of years." Deshia shoved him in his chest.

"Sooo, Uncle Rex made sure I kept y'all asses in line." He ruffled up her hair.

"And how well did that work out?" Deshia remarked pulling away from his hold.

"Same old smart ass I see." He chuckled.

"Same old playing in denial I see." She shook her head going over to the equipment shed. "I'll be out there, so don't need me." She hopped down from the dock in search of a vehicle.

"Alright bebita!" Dez called out and Deshia responded with her extended middle finger. Watching him snicker he turned back to me understanding my confused expression.

I didn't know one lick of Spanish.

"It's what our cousins used to call her. It means baby girl."

"Wait, y'all cousins?

"Yeah, man." He hit my arm. "My dad and her pops built this place from the ground up." I thought back to her statement from earlier. "She's the last outtah all of us." He glanced back in her direction. "And the only girl." He said with a yikes face.

"Damn." My eyes bolded. "Small world."

"Hell yeah." He nodded. "But don't pay her ass no mind." He threw his left hand on my neck guiding me to the nearest concession stand. "She still shook up about some shit." He brushed off.

"Like what?" I turned my head finally hearing Deshia's vehicle take off.

Catching Dez's sigh, he grabbed a bag of chips. "Man I haven't seen or talked to Deshia since her parents passing."

"So she's mad at you?" He threw a bag my way.

"Fuck yeah she mad at me!" His voice heightened. "I didn't show up to the funeral. It's going on three years now once December hits."

"Damn. Why didn't you show?" He walked to the fridge pulling out a soda. Making the gesture to see if I wanted one, I shook my head in response. "Man none of us did. Not even Dre." My brows quirked.

What kinda family shit was that?

"Why you didn't reach out?" I took a seat at one of the bar stools.

"Whatchu mean? I tried." He shrugged. "But think about it G, what do you say to someone who lost both their parents to the elitest cartel running in and out the southern belt.

"How about nothing. Being there is just enough." I shrugged thinking back to Mya's funeral. Anyone and everyone showed up, even her school teachers.

"Who the hell sticked something up your ass?" He said amusingly.

I smacked my lips ignoring his character. "Aye, you know first hand what that shit feels like."

"Yeah. But not showing up, man that's-"

"Fucked up, yeah I know." He concluded, obviously not wanting to hear what he has already telling himself. "The damage is already done."

"Yeah, I see." I nodded as my eyes caught sight of Deshia's rooftop on the far end of the track.

"So how the hell did y'all two meet?" He started up.

"Uhmmm." I smiled thinking back. "Let's just say she put me in my place and after that I got curious."

"Is that so?" He folded his arms across his chest as I nodded. "So whatchu really saying is, she beat yo ass and made you her slave." I laughed. "Yup that sounds about right." He fabricated.

"Nah man. More like I wouldn't leave her alone."

"Hmmph." He thought for a moment to himself as the sound of Deshia's engine roared even louder throughout the arena.

Damn, she was really punching it.

"Well lemme ask you a serious question then." Dez continued.

"Shoot." I playfully threw a few chips in my mouth.

"Why you choosing to put up with D anyway?" My brows rose for a moment.

"You talkin' bout her like she nun but trouble." I countered.

"Pshhh." He cut his eyes. "And you talkin' like you know otherwise." He defended, which I sort of took an offense to.

It didn't make sense how he could talk about his own family like that.

Shrugging off I rebutted, "Maybe cause I see what everyone else is blind to."

"Which is what!?" He laughed off. "You've known D for two seconds. I've known her, her entire life." He threw out his arms in a shrug. "Ain't nun changin' about how she moves and especially her attitude."

"Damn, all this time I've been taking advice from you and you ain't even as level-headed as I thought." I mocked.

"Look man lemme explain something to you, D ain't nun but a walking poster with a target on her back." I rubbed along my forehead.

"Ahh man not you too."

"Whatchu mean me too?" He spat.

I sighed a bit not really wanting to bad mouth Dre's name yet needing an excuse to dig up some needed information. "It's just the minute I say or ask Dre something about he and Deshia, he gets all defensive."

"Don'tchu think he might have a reason for that?" He simply brushed off.

"I'm pretty sure he does, and I ain't knocking the thought of it, but I'm confused because he was all chill until-" I paused for a second making a connection between Dre's abnormal behavior from then to now.

"Until what?" Dez caught on and his tending to the small responsibilities within the concession came to a halt.

"He got a phone call the same night Cory was shot." I started to reminisce. "His phone had rung like three times. Said he needed to take the call before we decided to head out. After a few minutes, he came back saying he had to leave. His whole demeanor had changed; letting us know he'd back in time to go to the tracks."

Getting up to grab a water bottle, Dez cleared his throat with a slight sniff and shrug of his shoulders.

"What?" I began to catch onto to his change in demeanor. He was being way too cool as if he knew something I didn't.

"It was me."

"It was you what?" I threw my head back taking a drink.

"Dre met up with me that night." My brows arched.

"Why?

"I needed him to help me take care of a business settlement."

"Business settlement, ain'tchu' out the business?"

"And ain'tchu wise enough not to ask questions you know yo ass goin get killed over?"

"The fuck does that mean G?" I stood up slightly getting frustrated. "Man you know how hard it is to keep the crew safe, let alone clean." I began to think of all the reckless shit they've done behind my back; which in fact contributed to the reasons why I needed to get out the game.

"Yeah I know, but some things are beyond your world."

"My world?" I cut him off. "Nigga you used to be apart of my world!"

"Aye man, watch yo tone!" He smacked his lips. "Remember who you talkin' to." I chilled out a bit as he ushered me back to the benches.

"Well come clean man." I reasoned. "I ain't tryna get mixed in with nothin' you got going on, I'm just tryna keep the crew together." I lied only for Deshia's sake. I couldn't have Dez knowing that I was getting involved. "One link missing and we all fall." I huffed making my outburst more believable.

"Fool I know that. What I'm tryna get you to understand is that for some people this is life or death. They have no other way out and will go to any length just to claim there freedom."

"And when you say people, you mean Deshia."

"I mean people like you. Like us." He got up pacing around the deck. "What? You think I got out by just walking away?" He shook his head. "Nah man, I hustled my way out and even then that wasn't enough." He sighed hysterically. "I killed people my whole childhood Sean. I killed sinister yet innocent people." He threw his hand up. "And now look at me, I'm out here taking care of the family business. Continuing the dream my tío and his brothers started in hopes to forget the sins of my past." He paused leaning back against the fence. "I despise you E. Ever since the day Dre brought you and Cory around. Cause you're conscious is clear; no blood on your hands but your own. Though you're choosing this life as if it's the only option you got left." His words were starting to sound a bit familiar.

"All y'all practice that same speech?" I said jokingly as I took a drink of my water.

"Can't practice what you already know to be true." He said all philosophical as he threw away his trash.

"Look my bad if I overstepped our boundaries G, but I can't risk knowing Deshia's in trouble and I ain't doing nun about it."

"And I get that. Hell, seeing how pressed you are about her makes me think otherwise about your intentions with her and I can respect it." He dabbed me up. "But trying to protect D doesn't bring Mya back. God rest her soul, but she's gone man." He walked back taking a seat next to me. "Don't let those last moments you had with her be your only memories engrained in your head. You know your sister's life was worth way more than that."

I nodded along understanding that whatever business Dez and Dre was protecting Deshia from was nothing I could truly understand at the moment. "In due time, you'll get some answers kat. But just know the longer you stick around Deshia, the more unpredictable she tends to be." My mind began to wander to our previous conversation back at her crib.

Even if all the things Dez said to me was true, I still needed to find out for myself. Which ideally made Deshia all the more special.

"What yo ass come here for anyway. I know you need something." He cut to the chase.

"I just wanted to see you." I shrugged.

"Bullshit." He shoved my shoulder. "The fuck is up?" He shifted his tone knowing it was time for me to plant the seed.

"Yesterday, one of our shipments was ambushed on the mountain. Think you can find out who did it?" I tried to sound as believable as possible. 

"Ohhh so you want me to do some digging." He rubbed his hands together.

"Some like that." I sniffed seeing Deshia making her way back from the track.

"I gotchu covered." I slapped some cash into his hands.
"Consider it done." He shoved it into his pockets.

"Aye Sean!!" My eyes directed below the docks where Deshia stood.

"Yeah?!" I stood up.

"Come on so I can smoke yo ass!"

"Haven't you burnt enough gas?!" I called out.

"Saved the last just for you!" She smirked throwing a set of keys my way.

Hearing Dez scoff, he patted my back getting up from the bench. "Have fun."

I smiled just before grabbing a helmet and gloves from the shed.

Seeing Dez's reaction as I made it to the dock, I took off my helmet. "What?"

"Beating D on her fathers' track." He shook his head. "You just brought yourself trouble."

"Yo, where the hell did you learn how to race like that!?" Deshia tried to catch her breath.

"Oh, you mean teach you a lesson?" I teased.

"Aye, you gotta race with me next weekend!" She spoke with excitement as Dez put up our equipment. "Chris is really going to lose his shit once he finds out I'm no longer his only competition."

"Haha thanks, but I stopped drifting a while ago." I caught Dez's head snap in our direction.

"Oh. Right. My bad." Deshia pouted as Dez handed us both bottles of water. Giving me the eyes to lighten up a bit I rolled them turning back to her.

"Nah it's cool. How bout I start you off with a few private lessons."

"Ugh you make it sound dirty." She scoffed throwing back her water.

"I mean it can be." I smirked. "Ouch!" Something hit the back of my head. With Deshia laughing, I turned to Dez picking up a half empty water bottle. "The fuck man?" I huffed rubbing where it ached.

"Don't make me have to beat yo ass." He warned.

"It was a joke bro." I pleaded.

"Yeah, whatever." He rolled his eyes and my attention turned back to Deshia. With a smirk still lingering on her face she shot me a wink heading in the opposite direction.

"Meetchu in the car." She shot up the deuces.

"Aye where's my hug!" Dez called out.

"Hug yourself negro!" She shot back.

"Well I guess we out then." I threw my hand out to Dez so he could dab me up.

"Ight kat. I'll check in witchu." I nodded in agreement as we bumped fists.

After making it back into the city, Sean and I decided to to stop at a local drive-in to pick up something to eat. It was later than I expected for us to make it back so I asked him to head to the shop so I can finish a few things on his car.

Not wasting any time at all, I headed straight to the back locker room to change into one of my dad's old jumpsuits and threw my previous clothes in a crate off to the side.

Subconsciously knowing that I'd been away for too long, I made a promise to myself not to make the same mistake again.

Thinking I could handle being away for a few days, I realized it took a toll on my spirit.

I mean fixing and detailing cars wasn't just a hobby for me, it was my safe haven. Hell, it's the only reason why I haven't gone crazy in the desolate yet not so desolate town.

It kept my mind busy.

Thanking the universe for slowly drawing me back within my element, I walked back into the garage area finding Sean throwing down on his double-decker.

"The shit must be good." I chuckled as I grabbed the rolling toolbox nearby.

"Hell yeah." He continued to munch. "You need to come eat yours before it gets cold." I realized my bag had been sitting in the same place I left it once I walked in.

"Yeah after I change out your carburetor."

"Deshia?" His eating came to a halt.

"Huh?" I sort of mumbled as I fished for the correct screwdriver in the pan.

"Deshia?" He grabbed my attention again which pulled me from the task at hand. "You barely even ate today so c'mon and stop playin." He grabbed my brown paper bag from behind and sat it on the table in front.

Not wanting him to feel some type of way, I dropped the tools in my hand and sat near him by the high drafting table. Wiping my hands off on a towel, I slapt on some hand sanitizer ready to dig in.

"Good ain't it?" Sean watched as I took a few bites. Giving him a nod, I continued to munch trying not to focus too much on what was really troubling my mind.

"Imma go change real quick." He took one last bite before wiping his mouth off with a napkin. "And when I come back all that betta be eaten, fries included." He pointed his index and middle fingers from his eyes to mine as an indication that he's watching me.

Smiling a bit, I waited till I heard the squeaky door close behind and jolted up from my seat.

If he thought I was really going to finish that, he was mistaken.

Turning on the shops stereo system, I slightly let up one of the garages to let some air circulate, and grabbed the box Sean's new carburetor had been delivered in.

Cleaning up the mess I made with dinner, I sat the box on top of the drafting table taking out it's sealed contents.

"Bro I swear you so fucking hardheaded." Sean shook his head as he walked back into the area.

"That's my middle name." I danced around as I took the carburetor out of it's sealed bubble wrap.

"Whatchu up to?" He sighed as he stood next to me.

"Well, I ordered you a new carburetor cause it was leaking from the throttle shaft. I need your fuel to air ratio to be proportionate for a better performance in the combustion chambers." He only stared me down with a smirk.

"What?" I smiled.

"You're such a nerd man." He shook his head as he went back to take a seat on the near stool.

"Don't mock me." I stuck out my tongue obviously unbothered by what he thought.

"It's cute." He threw his right leg over his thigh as he leaned back.

Ignoring his comment, I sorted the rest of the supplies and took out the last available pieces.

"What, no thank you." He grabbed hold of my wrist as I passed by.

Attempting to pull away, his grip became more secure as he pulled me in between his knees.

With him sitting upward to meet my level, he wrapped his arms around my waist so I couldn't get loose.

"So about that wink earlier?" I laughed turning my head in the other direction.

"It was just a joke."

"Seemed like more than a joke to me." He said with a low tone.

"Well maybe you shouldn't read into it so much." I tried to release myself from his hold as he began tickling me. "Okay Sean." I giggled.

"A lil squirmy there aren't we." He teased as I continued to laugh.

"Okay. Okay. You win." He finally stopped allowing me to catch my breath. With our eyes connecting for a bit everything seemed as if it slowed down for a moment. Knowing he was close to kissing me, he released his hold lifting up from the chair.

"I like you and you playing." He started to walk away though I latched onto his wrist.

"Trust me Sean I like you too. It's just—" My response was cut off as I caught a flicker of light turning in the distance. Taking me from our special moment, my instincts kicked in.

"Did the boys say they were meeting you here?" I asked frantically as I pulled down the open gate.

"What?" I caught Sean's confused expression as I pulled him into the shops' office.

"Did the crew say anything about coming to the shop?" I walked over to a wooden compartment my dad built a while ago that stored his concealed weapons.

"Nah. What's wrong?" I waved him down with a hush then pulled out a mere G-48 and screwed on its silencer.

"Hold that." I gave him the gun so I could open a small filing cabinet to the left of us.

Grabbing a smoke grenade, I turned off the lights and retrieved my gun from his hands.

"The fuck is up D?" Sean said lowly.

"Somebody's here." I whispered going over to the door and rolling out the unclipped grenade. After making a run with Wes, my anxiety was on high alert for any suspicion. I couldn't have them sneaking up on me especially when I'm with someone I cared about.

Quickly covering my nose and mouth, I left Sean in the connected rooms with my weapon high and ready to fire.

Having a clearer vision than the person who had been coughing over the music, I followed their noise, making sure not to trip on anything I'd left out in the open.

"Deshia stop playing games, you know my eyesight ain't that good no mo'." My uncle's voice caused me to quickly turn on the nearest light and clip my guns' safety.

"Unc?" I rubbed his back as he continued to cough. "Sean!" I called out as I sat my uncle on a stool.

"Everything good?" He walked out with his hands secured around one of my dad's recognizable pieces.

And just to think, I would've handled a situation like this without back up.

"Can you grab him a water please." He nodded and headed over to the fridge.

"Unc what are you doing here?" I paused the music from my phone as I sat on top of a bin.

"Well I came to surprise yo ass, but I see the jokes on me." He laughed as he lifted his head.

With Sean tapping me with the cold water, I got up handing it over to my Uncle. "I see nothing's changed." He was referring to the guns Sean and I were holding.

Sighing, I took the one from Sean's hands and set them both on a near table.

"Unfortunately no." I smiled giving him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Why is it that every time I come back from a trip, there's something new." I pulled away as he drunk some of his water.

"What you mean Unc?" I slightly laughed as I looked over to Sean.

"You're limping." He drew back some more of his water giving me a knowing look that sort of cut over to Sean.

Looking back and forth between the two, I caught Sean's imprinted dimples.

This nigga was really feeling himself. I naturally crossed my arms.

"I got stabbed thank you." I said with an attitude.

"Humph." He got up dusting off his pants. "First time I ever heard that one." He nodded jokingly and I nudged his shoulder.

Figuring I'd introduce the two of them I rolled my eyes at my uncles' stupidity. "Uncle Rob this is Sean, Sean this is one of my dad's brothers."

"Except I'm the cool one." He shook Sean's hand as I shook my head.

"Nice to meet you sir." Sean answered back.

"Where'd you find this one?" My uncle laughed. "In the school library." I smirked just a bit trying to hold back my own.

Due to Sean's expression, my uncle caught on and apologized. "You ain't gotta be formal with me son, I ain't her daddy." He shook his head as he looked around the shop to reminisce.

"Yeah, cause you got two of your own." I reminded since he liked to play forget.

"Shiddd." He spat. "We found them niggas out near a dumpster, your Auntie only picked them up so she wouldn't get no bad juju." He joked.

"He's just playing." I cleared for Sean. "Dez is his oldest."

"Oh that's headache numero uno." My uncle sighed loosening up his business tie. "What that nigga up to?"

"Still taking care of the track." I answered.

"Good, it'll keep his bullheaded ass in line." I nodded as I followed him around to Sean's Mustang.

"Who you working on this fa'?"

"This one." I pointed over to Sean who had been quietly following.

"Ohhhh, so he's studious and has great taste in cars." He nodded as he put his hands in his deep trouser pockets.

"Haha, yes sir." Sean crossed his arms.

"How much to take it off your hands once my favorite niece gets through with it?" He continued to look at the unfinished exterior.

"I am your only niece." I protested.

"Which is why you're my favorite." He kissed my forehead as Sean contemplated an answer.

Figuring I should help, I took a seat in my rolly-chair facing the both of them. "Sean wouldn't dare sell this baby to you."

"And why the hell not?" He layered his hands one over the other. "You know ya uncle good for it." He began to pout.

"Uhm maybe cause you're not gonna take care of it." I threw my feet on top of a few tires. "This car is meant for driving, not for show." I ended.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I stale faced him since he wanted to play dumb.

"You don't ever take care of yo shit!" I exclaimed.

"And you can never stay outtah trouble!" He fired back and I swatted his arm. "Watch the damn suit now." He threw out his arms to fix his watch.

Realizing that Sean had been laughing the whole time, I ended our going back and forth. "Even if Sean decided to sell you the car bout time I'm finished, it wouldn't work out because he's going to be too in love with it."

"Psshh. Let the man speak for himself." My uncle pulled out his handkerchief to wipe the back of his neck. "Name yo price for this piece of junk?"

"Why buy it if you just think it's junk?" I protested.

"Cause another man's trash is another man's treasure. Ya heard me." He laughed as he threw out his hand to dab Sean up.

"Alright Unc time for you to go!" I yelled throughout the shop as I patted his back.

"Well wait, hold up now." He stopped me from moving him.

"What?"

"I found this outside taped to your door." He pulled out a torn out piece of paper from his handkerchief pocket.

Kill or be killed.
-Kassanova

It read. Though I wasn't for sure who the hell Kassanova could've been.

"You haven't mixed yourself into any more shit lately,  have you?" I re-read the note again, yet still not seeing a symbol to go along with it.

"Nah." I looked up shaking my head as I caught Sean's concerning eyes.

"Alright, I'm trusting you." He eyed me down and I knew exactly what that look meant. "We have an agreement." He reminded.

"Yeah I can't seem to forget." I rolled my eyes.

I knew if my uncle caught me slipping again, he would be forced to call the authorities.

And it definitely was not the police.

"Be mindful of the shit you do Deshia." He pointed his finger at me. "The choices you make don't just affect you." His eyes ventured over to Sean a bit and I got the memo. "Well, I'm gone." He broke the silence while opening his arms to give me a hug. "I love you and I will be back for this car." He pointed over to Sean. "Be good." He paused walking over to him. "And do me a favor youngin, make sure her theivin' ass stay outtah trouble."

"Already gotchu covered." Sean ended their shake and my uncle exited the way he came.

Picking up the note he gave me, I began to think of anyone who would wanna play games with me.

Knowing Sean was not too far behind, I turned in his direction seeing the same concerning look.

"Now do you think this is a game?" I said just as he walked closer to look at the note.

"This would be a great time to consider my offer." He smirked.

"Which was?" I pretended not to remember.

"Witness protection of course." I pouted looking back at the note.

This wouldn't have been the first time I've received a death note, but that wasn't the point. Knowing that it had nothing to do with my past — the idea of it being Wes was unlikely. He never sends warnings twice in one week.

But what really bothered me was the simple fact that someone else was watching me. Possibly my every move if they knew to stick a note on my door after Sean and I had already been here.

If not a threat, whoever this Kassanova was, they were an ally.

Putting my attention back on the goofball before me I contemplated on the idea.

"C'mon it'll be fun." He pleaded. "We can watch movies and play dress up." He started to sound like one of them damn princesses. "Annnd you get to see me naked." He whispered and I laughed turning to meet his eyes.

With our previous moment replaying in my head, I leaned in grabbing hold of his face allowing our lips to connect.

"So is-that-a yes." He mouthed as we continued to kiss.

"Just shut-up fool." He laughed lifting me into the nearest chair.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

The Crying Games Από MsEracaJae

Εφηβική Φαντασία

22.6K 1.4K 46
WORKS #01 |Please note; these are works of fiction meaning all characters and events appearing in this story are made up. Any resemblance to real per...
Makin Moves Από Ari😂❤️

Γενικό Φαντασίας

11.9K 478 40
(If you haven't read Makin It Through this book 2 so you gon be mad confused) It has been six years since Tommy been locked up. The judge has let him...
24.2K 1K 47
As Twenty year Old Diamond Baker Enter A New World Of Work, Family, Friends, Adult Hood, And This Thing Called "Love". She Has To Manage To Keep Her...
122K 4.7K 31
Briana has always grew up in a good Christian home, had great parents, and loving siblings, but everything changed after the death of her father who...