Roots and Oxygen

By SianaghGallagher

Prince Sage, the man next in line to be king, offers to nurture a dying house plant back to life. He soon rea... More

Chapter 1 - Rotting Roots
Chapter 2 - Inconvenient Deaths
Chapter 3 - Ghosts and Wives
Chapter 4 - Conspicuous Plant
Chapter 5 - Improper Trials
Chapter 6 - Buttons of Exoticism
Chapter 7 - Counterfeit Tears
Chapter 8 - Valuable Grievances
Chapter 9 - Catastrophic Stumble
Chapter 10 - Offensive Compliments
Chapter 11 - Confidence and Waistcoats
Chapter 12 - Firing the Outspoken
Chapter 13 - Exposing Consultations
Chapter 14 - Greenthenor Secrets
Chapter 15 - Perplexing Pothos
Chapter 16 - Intruder's Misfortune
Chapter 17 - Invasive Desires
Chapter 18 - Shielding Leaves
Chapter 19 - Embracing Change
Chapter 20 - Broken Boundaries
Chapter 21 - Green Confessions
Chapter 22 - Indented Vinea
Chapter 23 - Epipremnum Aureum
Chapter 24 - Verdurous Pothos Legends
Chapter 25 - Hierarchy Climbing Plant
Chapter 26 - Blooming Quirks
Chapter 27 - Bizarre Normality
Chapter 28 - Amity
Chapter 29 - Queen's Spectre
Chapter 30 - Deceptions and Espionage
Chapter 31 - Roots and Brutes
Chapter 32 - Three-Sided Penny
Chapter 33 - Tension
Chapter 34 - Worth the Risk
Chapter 35 - Individual Liberty
Chapter 36 - Green Fingers
Chapter 37 - Gold Over Gaiety
Chapter 39 - Together As One
Chapter 40 - Murphy's Law
Chapter 41 - Skeleton in the Closet
Chapter 42 - Poise, Grace, a Vengeful Face
Chapter 43 - Veiled Veracity
Chapter 44 - Precipitation
Chapter 45 - Anticipatory Anxiety
Chapter 46 - A Conscientious Companion
Chapter 47 - Discreet Encroachment
Chapter 48 - Vigilant Kindred
Chapter 49 - Telling Truths
Chapter 50 - Abscond
Chapter 51 - Blue-Sow Thistle Cottage
Chapter 52 - Amiable Local
Chapter 53 - Tranquil Touches
Chapter 54 - Divulge the Future King
Chapter 55 - Snow Serpents
Chapter 56 - Cognition
Chapter 57 - Rapid Torrent
Chapter 58 - Luculent Relations
Chapter 59 - Green
Chapter 60 - Insecure Confidence
Chapter 61 - Liars Lending Credence
Chapter 62 - Amende Honourable
Chapter 63 - Arduous Decisions
Chapter 64 - Coalition of Pride
Chapter 65 - Royal Probity
Chapter 66 - Augury
Chapter 67 - Whited Sepulchre
Chapter 68 - Dual Crown
Chapter 69 - Room of Truth
Chapter 70 - Semblance of Normality
Chapter 71 - Desolation
Chapter 72 - Candour Queen
Chapter 73 - Egotistic Prince
Chapter 74 - Duplicity
Chapter 75 - Reconciliation
Chapter 76 - Mend Fences
Chapter 77 - Genesis

Chapter 38 - Caress the Curls

6.4K 712 152
By SianaghGallagher

On the day of the Wine and Vine event, Taro's new uniform was ready, but Sage had a gift to give him before he could change. "If it's too much then I can get you another one without engravings in it," Sage said, handing Taro a heavy box wrapped in green silk.

"What's this?" Taro asked, putting down Sage's tie.

"Just something you deserve." Sage pursed his lips and watched eagerly as Taro untied the ribbon. He stared at Taro's curious face as he tore open the box and carefully lifted out a purple plant pot, with an engraving on the front saying Greenthenor Guard in gold looping letters. "I know you hate the pot you're in now. And purple suits you better. I had the writing put on it, so you don't have to change your jumper all the time. It can be a part of your uniform when you're not at formal events. I have a purple blazer for you to wear when you are."

Taro looked up with big green eyes. Unable to find the right words, he pulled Sage into a very tight embrace.

"I just want to make your life easier," Sage continued, holding him just as tightly, and smiling at Taro's stunned expression, "the way that you're making mine easier." The hug was like opening a window to a cool breeze on a hot sticky day. The hug was like standing by a fire on a cold winter's night. The hug was like being held by a loved one after a week of having no time for each other. Sage melted into it. His fast heart was the only part of him that told Taro he was still nervous.

"This is really nice of you," Taro mumbled, pressing his face down onto Sage's shoulder. "When did you think of this?"

"When I put in the order for your new uniform."

"It's really thoughtful, you really didn't have to do that." Taro pulled away with a big earnest smile. "I guess I'm just always on your mind, huh?"

"Taro, you're my personal guard, you're my Valet, and you're my-" Sage tried not to chew too hard on his lip. Taro had winked at him yesterday in an empty corridor and Sage broke the skin. "Well, yes, it's kind of annoying how much I think about you, but that's because you're the first person I see when I wake up and the last... plant I see before going to bed."

Taro chuckled and said, "Good, I hope it stays that way."

Their morning routine consisted of more flirting than getting ready for the day. Sage started looking forwards to the rush of nerves clenching his heart when Taro's playful words overflowed the room. Sage's eyes dropped to his mouth, just to see his bright smile. "Let's repot you." Sage had a drawer next to his desk full of plant food and a watering can, and a bag of expensive soil that Taro liked. Simply staring at the cupboard reminded him that Taro was no ordinary person. He didn't drink anything other than water, he didn't eat anything, he slept at strange times throughout the day, his body changed depending on how long his vines were.

When Sage first met Taro, he wasn't as muscular as he was now. Taro had grown and bloomed and flourished as a person and as a human, all because Sage decided to nurture a dying house plant back to life. Taro also had more vine tattoos wrapping around his forearms, and they snaked from his fingers with such ease.

Sage's breath always paused. He wondered if he would ever get used to the transformation. But he was already used to having a Valet with an attitude that would never have made it into the building, let alone his bedroom.

He repotted Taro as quickly as he could and stood back to examine his new purple knitted jumper. In the middle of his chest read Greenthenor Guard in gold fancy letters. "It really suits you."

Taro looked down and traced the letters with his finger. "It does, doesn't it?" He turned to examine himself in the mirror. "Yes, this fits perfectly. Thank you, Sagerian."

Sage let the appearance of his full-name slide. He kind of liked the way it sounded with Taro's deep voice. He said it lower, as though he knew it would create some sort of reaction. "You're very welcome. Now let's go, I'm late for breakfast."

Being late for breakfast was the least of Sage's worries. From the moment he stepped from his room, he was assigned the role of following his mother around, getting ready for the big event. Her secretary, Finley Wainhouse, also followed them around to confirm everything was on schedule.

Then behind them was Taro Vinea. His purple jumper kept catching Sage's eye, and also his golden hair in the golden sun, and his green watchful eyes that were always glued to him, and- shut up Sage.

"So um," he said loudly, startling his mother. The corridor was long and tall and carried his voice far. "Is any family members not coming tonight?"

"No," Marigold said with a smile. She always dressed down on the day of an event, so she felt extra special in whatever grand outfit she had planned. Sage was reminded that she was a human as well as a Queen without jewels and gems to grace her exposed dark skin.

"Pity," another voice said. Sage raised a brow at his younger brother when he stopped by his side. "I could've done without uncle Brier and Granny Jasminda breathing down my neck."

"Couldn't we all," Sage muttered, which earnt him a stern stare from the Queen.

"They're coming, and you'll be happy about it, and you'll be thankful when they talk to you both." his mother pointed a finger at Oxley. "Got it?"

"Got it," he repeated glumly. "Anyway, why am I stuck doing nothing? Can't I help?"

"Yes," Sage said before his mother mentioned something about the future king needing to know the ins and outs of such a big event. "We need a special cocktail for tonight. The bartender wants to know what we decide by noon."

Oxley's eyes lit up like a fire gone wild. "I'm on it!" he yelled before spinning and running down the corridor.

"Sage," Marigold hissed.

"What? He wanted to help."

"Not the alcohol. Everyone will be drunk within the first hour if they're drinking an Oxley cocktail."

"Is that such a bad thing?" Sage didn't hear a no, and he saw the most subtle smirk the Queen would dare muster in public.

By the time he could escape to his room to get ready for the biggest event of the year, he was ready for bed with heavy limbs and tired stinging eyes. "I'll run myself a bath to wake up a bit. I have three hours to get ready, how long do you need to sleep?"

Taro slumped to the bathroom tiles. "Just an hour will do." Without needing to take his jumper off, he shifted to his plant form and his vines curled around the base of his new purple pot.

Sage took his time running a bath. When an hour was up, he was still in it when Taro returned to his human form, stretching and yawning.

"You've been in there a while," Taro commented. "And you've not washed your hair. Waiting for me to help?"

Sage clenched his jaw to contain those thoughts. "No, I'm just making the most of the time I have to relax." The bubbles he added were up to his chest, so Taro kneeling by the bath didn't feel as inappropriate as it looked. He stared at Taro's green nails and wondered what it would feel like to have his fingers running through his hair.

Sage's heart sped up. They had fallen asleep side by side, hugged, held hands, and shared numerous moments together that felt right, whether that was standing close enough for their shoulders to touch, both laughed at the same time, or shared a glance with the same lustful twinkle... they were inevitably growing closer.

Sage had the power to speed the process up. His heart thumped as he said, "Fine, wash my hair if you want." He tried to sound casual, but the nerves bubbled in his throat.

Taro didn't move straight away. "Really?" he asked with a scoff.

"Yes, really." Sage was better at keeping a neutral face, he had done it all his life.

Taro slowly got to his feet, watching Sage carefully as though he expected him to break out of character and tell him he was joking.

Sage tried to breathe normally as Taro stood behind him and dribbled shampoo onto his palm. He rubbed his hands together and slowly embedded his fingers into Sage's curls.

Taro was very gentle and very careful not to get his fingers stuck. Sage enjoyed the feeling so much, he closed his eyes and exhaled a soft breath instead of holding it in.

"You know, when that maid played a joke on me and said that I had to wash your hair, when I first started the Valet job, I actually thought about quitting," Taro admitted, getting Sage to lean his head back, so he could rinse off the bubbles. He peered down at him, and Sage pursed his lips. "Isn't it funny how we change?"

Sage thought that buttoning his shirt from the bottom was highly inappropriate, now he was letting Taro caress his curls because he enjoyed the feeling. He liked being close in any way; he had always longed for that excitement. "It worries me how fast I'm changing," he confessed.

Taro massaged conditioner into his hair. "You're just shaping into who you've always wanted to be. Change is natural."

It isn't when you're a Prince. Taro pulled his head further back and raised a brow at Sage's silence. "I'm just worried I'll outgrow the crown."

"Is that so bad?"

"You know it can be."

Taro rinsed Sage's hair. "Wouldn't it be cool if you were the first one to try and change the Monarchy? If you can't abide by their rules, then change them. If you really think that you can't get away from it all, then be a king on your terms."

"That's a child's dream, Taro. They'll push me out before I even have a chance."

"Well either way, good can come out of it. If they push you out then you can go off and live your life, if they don't, then you can shape that crown to fit your curls." Taro grabbed a towel and held it out for Sage. He looked away when Sage climbed out of the bath and wrapped it around his waist. "Anyway, stop worrying. We'll put some music on, make you look great for this event, get you a very strong alcoholic drink, and then throw you into the lions den."

Sage followed him into the bedroom. "I think I'll need more than just one alcoholic drink."

"Do you ever enjoy these events?"

"It's hard to truly enjoy it when you're performing the entire time. I watch what I say, how much I drink. I have to work the room, know everyone's name, talk to everyone at least once, and all the while the photographers we invite are watching me like hawks. I prefer family events, at least then I can relax a little."

"Sounds like a nightmare," Taro said while laying out Sage's clothes on the bed. He then clasped his hands together and smirked. "So, explain to me why the event is called Wine and Vine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 2 5
Prince Farris Lumenne only wanted to find out the secrets of the magical artifact he picked up during the only adventure his father, the King, let hi...
67.2K 3.1K 48
[GxG] Sage Miller, a young woman in her twenties didn't have the best life growing up. Her journey in life had its shares of downs and disappointment...
2.4K 60 36
For as long as time itself can remember, there are the classic stories. These stories always depict the valiant prince coming to save the beautiful d...
40 0 23
Sage lived in a world where everything was perfect even if things were not. He lived in a world were mistakes were ok and sometimes funny. Though thi...