GINGERSNAPS

By theginger412

Olivia Evans, who was given up at birth by her mother, Petunia, later finds out that she is a witch. Just whe... More

1. The Past meets The Future
2. Settling In
3. Lemonade
4. Flash
5. Captured Moments
6. Breaking Through
7. Scolded
8. Beaten Up
9. Petrified
10. Safe
11. Leaky Cauldron
13. Challenged
14. Slashed
15. Mischief Managed
16. Yearbook
17. Bring The Lion Out
18. The Cup
19. Moony
20. Contact
21. Toffee
22. Strawberry Ice Cream
23. The World Cup
24. Her Heart
25. Moody
26. The Tournament
27. Her Name
28. Her Wand
29. Her Dragon
30. The First Task
31. Her Flame
32. Love Potion
33. The Yule Ball
34. The Second Task
35. Birthdays
36. The Third Task
37. Graveyard
38. Her Friend
39. In Memory
40. Grimmauld Place
41. Pieces of Her
42. Inked
43. Lavender Tea
44. Uncle
45. Firewhiskey
46. Ministry of Magic
47. The Hearing
48. Treacle Tart
49. Evans
50. Her Boggart
51. Kings Cross
52. Bloody Mess
53. Skeleton
54. Playing with Fire
55. Last, First Match
56. Attacked
57. St. Mungos
58. Honey
59. P for Percy
60. Drooble's Best Blowing Gum
61. Her Letters and Feathers
62. Occlumency
63. Not Tonight
64. Cornish Pixies
65. Red Lace
66. Yellow Paint
67. Sacked
68. Changes and Captures
69. Style
70. Adventure's End
71. Blowing Kisses
72. Stunned
73. Evans
74. Her Death
75. Cracks In Their World
76. From The Ashes
77. Her Funeral
78. Her First
79. Broomsticks & Sunsets
80. The Return
81. Scars
82. Permission
83. Paints and Pranks
84. Red
85. Normal
86. Vials and Stakes
87. Blood Oath
88. Arm Sling
89. Trunk of Photos
90. Never Know
91. In This Life
92. Melted Metal

12. Respects

3.3K 95 4
By theginger412

The following morning everyone loaded up in the cars the ministry had sent. After arriving at Kings Cross, they paired off into groups to go through the barrier for the plateform. On the platform, they all hauled their trunks onto the train and came back to Mr and Mrs Weasley goodbye.

Mr Weasley pulled Harry aside when Mrs Weasley started passing out sandwiches to everyone. Olivia had noticed how strange Mr Weasley had been all morning, constantly looking around, so she couldn't help but notice when he took the boy aside. But before she could find out anything Molly had ushered them back onto the train. They waved their goodbyes as the train departed.

Olivia and the twins found a compartment with Lee, Cedric, and Jo. They had been enjoying a game of exploding snaps when the train came to a holt.

"We can't be there already." Lee said looking out the window. The lights on the train went dark and the temperature dropped.

Olivia sat between the twins, they scooped closer to her, each wrapping an arm around her. "Somethings not right." She pulled out her wand casting a Lumos charm. The dim light casted around the compartment and Olivia noticed that she could see her breath in cold. Someone came running into their cabin.

"Who's there?" Olivia asked, pointing her wand in the face of Draco Malfoy who looked like he was scared out of his mind. The light from her wand casted onto his face.

"Somethings out there!" He shrieked.

"Well get out of here, Malfoy!" Fred told him, pushing the boy out the door and closing it back. They stayed in the dark for a few minutes. When movement caught Olivias eye outside their door.

Slowly, a dark cloaked figured floated by the door window. Lee and Cedric shielded Jo, while the twins done the same to Olivia. The figure was reaching for the door handle when all of the sudden a bright light pushed it down the corridor of the train. The train lights flashed back on. And the temperature was starting to get warmer gradually.

"What was that thing?" Lee asked.

"It was a dementor. The last I heard Dumbledore was trying to fight back against having them at Hogwarts." Olivia shared

"I guess they're looking for Sirius Black on the train."Cedric said running a shaky hand through his curls.

The door slide open and the 6 of them were startled. "Sorry didn't mean to alarm anyone. Just checking around to make sure everyone is okay." Professor Lupin said from the doorway. Relaxing when seeing it was a teacher and the group let out sighs of relief.

"I think we're okay, just frightened a bit." George told the man.

Lupin looked around and recognized a familiar face, a face that was far too pale. "Miss Evans are you okay? You look awfully pale." He asked looking at the girl with worry.

Clutching each of the twins hands, she took a deep breath. And nodded her head, giving him a soft smile, the best she could. "Just got a little dizzy that's all. That thing got rather close to us. But I'm fine." She patted her pockets looking for the bar of chocolate she got from the trolley.

Olivia got it out and broke off a piece and popped it into her mouth. "I read that chocolate helps with the after effects of being around dementors, here everyone take a piece." She passed around the candy, finally she reach the teacher. "Professor Lupin, would you like a piece?"

"No thank you, it looks like you all are in good hands with Miss Evans here. I better go have a talk with the driver." He nodded to the group and closed the door behind him.

"How did you know that chocolate helps?" Jo asked

"Snape has loads of books at home about Defense against the Dark Arts, I got bored this summer and read probably half of the library he has." Olivia said while breaking off another piece to eat, handing it to Fred who held out his hand.

"How did you know his name? That new teacher." George asked.

Olivia rested her head on his shoulder, "I got to meet him this summer, Dumbledore brought me along when he interviewed him."

"I wonder how long he'll last as our teacher." Cedric generally stated to group.

Eventually the train arrived at Hogsmeade. A rumor that Harry Potter had fainted because of the dementors was circulating and confirmed when Mcgongall pulled him and Hermione to her office when everyone was entering the Great Hall.

Olivia, Cedric, and Jo sat at the Hufflepuff table sitting as close on the end nearest to the staff table. She wanted to be one the first people to welcome the new first years into her House. During the sorting, by Flitwick, Olivia stood and cheered for all the first years, but especially loud for the new puffs. At one point, Cedric and Jo snorted at how Olivia stood on her seat to cheer for a little puff who jumped off the stool and ran to join the table.

After all the first years we're at there new home tables, McGonagall came in with Harry and Hermione, the teacher took the empty seat at the staff table and the other two joined Ron. Dumbledore stood to speak. Like always he commanded a room with his larger than life personality and presence.

"Now that we are all properly welcomed!" Said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard giving a knowing look at Olivia, "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." he cleared his throat. "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express. Our school is presently plying host to some of the dementors guarding the school."

He continued, "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises - or even Invisibility Cloaks" Olivia shared a confused look with her friends and turned back to the old wizard, "It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and everyone of you to give them jo reason to harm you. I look to the prefects and our new Head Boy and Girl to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors."

Olivia could see across the room Percy puffing out his chest, she rolled her eyes, Dumbledore continued, "On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year." He said with a smile and his eyes sparkled.

"First, Professor Lupin, who was kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." Not many people clapped with enthusiasm, along with Olivia she noticed Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Ron clapping loudly with her.

Olivia also took noticed that Snape sitting at the staff table was staring at Lupin with a twisted thin sallow face. Dumbledore never told Olivia why Snape would be troubled by the news of Lupin working here. All she knew was that he wanted that position but was looked over time and time again.

"As for a second new appointment, well I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creature teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

Applause was loud and proud from the Gryffindor table, Olivia stood from her seat and cheered for the gentle giant. Hagrid was wiping his eyes with the tablecloth when Harry Ron and Hermione was the last to stop clapping.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," Dumbledore said, "Let the feast begin!"

The next morning Olivia yawned into her cup of tea, at the Gryffindor table next to Fred. George sat on the other side, filling his plate.

"Weasley, take these and give them to Potter, Granger, and your brother would you." McGonagall stopped and handed George a few timetables, with his own and Fred's.

Olivia picked the blueberries off her porridge and put them on Fred's, like she usually did in the morning. She was taking a spoonful bite when Harry and Ron sat on either side of George. Hermione sat next to Olivia. On the front of Hermiones issue of the Daily Prophet was yet another large picture of Sirius Black, like there had been for a month now.

"New third year course schedules" George said passing them over. "What's up with you Harry?"

"Malfoy," Ron said glaring at the Slytherin table.

George, Fred, and Olivia looked over to see Malfoy pretending to faint with terror.

"The little git." George said calmly, "He wasn't so cocky last night when the dementors were down at our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself," said Fred with a contemptuous glance at Malfoy.

"I wasn't too happy myself," said George. "They're horrible things, those dementors..."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" Said Fred

"You didn't pass out though did you?" Said Harry in a low voice.

"Forget it, Harry," said George bracingly, "Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember Fred? And he said it was the worst place he'd ever been, he came back all weak and shaking... they suck the happiness out of a place, dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there."

"Anyway, we'll see how happy Malfoy looks after our first quidditch match," said Fred. "Gryffindor versus Slytherin, first game of the season, remember?"

"I'm sure Ollie will be there with bells on, maybe we should start taking bets now if Hooch will throw her out or not?" George teased, Harry laughed looking like he felt somewhat better.

"I won't be getting kicked out, because McGonagall still makes me sit with her..." grumbled Olivia

Later that evening everyone had heard that Malfoy had provoked a hippogriff and was in the hospital wing injured.

Olivia felt terrible for Hagrid on his first day. He had talked to her all summer about his first lesson and how badly he wanted it to go well. Leave it to Malfoy to mess it up.

Olivia had double potions that evening before dinner. When the bell rang, Snape asked her to stay behind.

"Will you run these dittany vials to Madam Pomfrey, she was running low." He asked her.

"Sure thing, I was headed that way anyway." Olivia took the vials and set off for the hospital wing. Inside the infirmary she spotted the blond boy in a bed with a wrapped arm.

She walked over to the nurses desk, "Professor Snape asked me to give these to you, said that you was running low on Dittany, Madam Pomfrey."

"Oh thank you Olivia. Give Severus my thanks too will you?" The nurse took the vials from the girl and left to stock them in the back room, with the rest of the supplies.

Olivia looked and seen Malfoy was asleep. Pansy Parkinson was sitting next to his bed, noticing he had fallen asleep she got up and left the infirmary. Olivia walked over and took the girls vacant seat.

Malfoy laying on his side facing Olivia, peeked one eye open, "Is she gone?" He asked.

"She's gone." Olivia told him.

He blew a sigh of relief, and sat up with his arm in a sling, "I thought she'd never leave." He looked at Olivia with a confused look. "What you doing here?"

"Snape asked me to drop some stuff off for Madam Pomfrey. Thought I'd pay my respects to you." Olivia said in a sly voice, pretending to pick at her nails.

"Oh, that. Listen-"

"Just- don't say anything. Don't pretend to be nice to me when no one is around."

"Ollie-" sighed Draco.

"Save it. Listen, I appreciate your moment of kindness last year but that's all it was, a moment. You get a choice in every moment you have, Draco. And you... you choose to be the person you are." Olivia said with a shrug.

"You don't understand..."

"That's the thing, I do understand. I understand that the world isn't made up of good people and bad people. We have both light and dark in us, what matters is the power we choose to act on. And you- you make your own choices, Draco." Said Olivia. She stood from her seat and headed to the door. She turned around before she left, "And Draco.." he raised his low hanging head and looked at her, "help is always given to those who ask for it." Then she let the door close behind her.

Olivia headed to the Great Hall for dinner, in the corridor she passed the staff room with the door wide open. Inside she seen Professor Lupin struggling to close the wardrobe. Olivia rushed inside.

"Here let me help you Professor Lupin." She said pressing her back to the wardrobes door, using her full strength to keep it closed. Something was clearly wanting to get out.

Lupin took the opportunity to pick up his wand from a nearby table and casted a locking charm on the door and slumped into an arm chair.

Wiping his forehead, "Thank you Miss Evans, I wasn't sure how I was going to reach my wand if you hadn't stopped to help." said Lupin.

She stood up straight, her back still leaning against the wardrobe. "No thanks needed, and please call me Ollie. Professor, I have to ask, what is it you've got trapped in here?" Throwing a thumb behind her.

"Oh no I must not reveal that to you, considering it is for my 5th years class tomorrow morning. You'll have to just wait and find out." He said standing from his seat. "Now I do believe it's time for dinner, I assume that's where you was heading to?"

Olivia leaned off the door and headed to the door, Lupin followed her out, closing the door behind him. In a awkward silence the two walked down the corridor, until Lupin asked, "So, I heard through the grapevine that you're rather gifted in the arts?"

"Gifted is a strong word, but yes, I have a large interest in it. That's usually what I'm doing when I'm not wondering the corridor helping distressed teachers." Olivia joked, Lupin chuckled. She tried her best to keep up with his long strides, but her short height was struggling.

Finally, they reached the entrance to the Great Hall, "Enjoy your meal," Lupin told her heading to take his seat at the staff table.

"You too, Professor." Said Olivia, she watched him take his seat, and seen a few spots down that Snape was glaring at him and then turned his gaze to her. Olivia nodded at him and took her own seat next to George where he had already placed a bowl of stew in front of her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 6.5K 28
Athene Atkinson had never been one to step into the limelight. She was quite content to sit in her little bookshop in Diagon Alley day in and day out...
5.7M 152K 87
YOU MAKE MY HEART SHAKE, BEND, AND BREAK BUT I CAN'T TURN AWAY! aurora "rory" archer was a powerhouse. well, sort of. she was a fierce friend with a...
99K 2.3K 90
"Whatever memories and moments define who you are or who you want to be, this one was among his." _ The second Sarah McCauley stepped over the thresh...
879K 24K 42
Ruth is the youngest of the Ash triplets. Born only three minutes after her sisters, Ruth has always been the odd one out. She's been invisible all...