At the Boss's Beck and Call

By Sinaidkincaid16

She did not think he found her desirable. She was just his secretary. He did not think she'd want to go to... More

Synopsis
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14:
Epilogue

Chapter 9

638K 11.7K 2.5K
By Sinaidkincaid16

'Is that better?' Ross turned up the heart in the limo. He smiled charmingly at his secretary.

'Thank you,' she nodded. She was thawing out nicely. Her teeth had stopped chattering. 'Where are we going?'

Neither she nor he had made a reservation, unless he had been arrogant enough to do it before he'd even picked her up? And would she be appropriately dressed to walk into a restaurant with him? He only ever went to the classiest and most expensive restaurants.

'I sometimes visit Benito's, around the corner here, just off fifth,' he smiled. 'It's cosy and not too busy.'

Savannah knew it.  She and her buddies often ate out there. It was affordable. You could enter in jeans and sneakers. So no classy joint for her. She was just the secretary. Not like Ross and she were on a date or something.

'Would that be okay with you?' Ross enquired pleasantly.

'You forced me into the limo,' she narrowed her eyes at him. 'You would force me into the restaurant as well, so it's not like I have a choice.'

Ross laughed. 'Savannah, tonight is not the night to unsheathe your claws.'

She glared at him for a millisecond and as always, because he was the boss, she bit the bullet and made a point of turning away from him and looking out the limo.

Ross stole the opportunity to take in her beauty. She was beautiful, no doubt about it. Infact he would go so far as to say, Savannah was the most beautiful lady he'd ever laid eyes on, and he'd known a great many beautiful women. How he'd wished he'd not offered her the job in his employ, by now he would have taken her to bed and had his fill of her. But his instincts had told him she was the one to be his p.a. and he always obeyed his instincts before his flesh. That was why he was still alive today. On that very first day he'd interviewed Savannah, he'd looked straight into the depths of her mesmerizing hazel eyes and he'd known he would be able to trust her with his life. There were not many people Ross would entrust his life with, but his secretary was one of the few.

She was angry with him now, he could tell.  Her hands were clenched in a fist on her lap. The white of her knuckles in stark contrast to the burgundy tweed skirt.  Her legs were crossed at the ankles as she kept as far away from him as possible.

Savannah was startled when her mobile buzzed in her handbag.  She hauled it out suspecting it was Robert. His name on the screen confirmed it.

'Hey,' she smiled uncomfortably.

'There's this movie showing, where this leading guy is apparently almost as gorgeous as I am ...'

Savannah laughed. Then remembering her boss was listening, she schooled her expression.

'Interested?' Robert invited. She could tell he was smiling.

'Umm ... can I take a rain check?'

'That boss of yours over working you again?'

'I'm free tomorrow,' Savannah turned away as much as the seat allowed and smiled into the phone.

Robert kept her on the phone a few more minutes, before Savannah could say goodbye. When she dared to look up at Ross, she found the door opened. She had not even registered that the limo was stationary.

'Ready?' He smiled briefly. The smile she'd had on for Robert disappeared. She nodded. Ross exited and held out his hand to assist her. He was right, the restaurant was not too busy tonight, just enough patrons to create a comfortable ambience. Ross was personally greeted by the owner. Strange, they'd eaten there so many times, Savannah and her friends had never been personally welcomed by the owner.

He took them to a table at the far corner that lent some privacy. It seemed they needed it, for Ross was being ogled by every woman present. Savannah wished she could draw some comfort from the fact that she was dining with Ross, but how could she? He was not her lover or her date!

'I have the perfect wine for you tonight, Mr. Templeton,' the owner bragged.

'We'll certainly give it a try Nico,' Ross responded warmly. He left them to peruse the menu.

'Have I thwarted your plans for tonight,' Ross fished. He hoped he had, he did not want Morey anywhere near Savannah.  Ross clearly remembered all too well, seeing Savannah putting her arms invitingly around Morey the Sunday evening after Tatum's birthday bash.

'Why haven't you selected somebody from your black book to dine with you tonight?' She interrogated, preferring not to divulge that she'd much rather be having a cosy dinner with him than a movie with Robert.

"'Black book" Savannah?' He laughed. You've been working for me for close on two years, have you seen such a black book?'

No she hadn't. Luckily Savannah did not have to answer Ross, a waiter appeared to take their orders. After the waiter departed, Savannah pondered on her Casanova boss. He had had a bevy of women in the eighteen months since she'd been his secretary. So it's not like he was not able to click his fingers to have a striking beauty at his side. Little did Savannah know, tonight, Ross did have a most striking beauty at his side.

Savannah thoroughly enjoyed her dinner. She always did in Ross's company. He was an extremely knowledgeable gentleman, with lively conversation and good table manners.  He seemed to have a sense of humour too.  She was laughing, when she had silently told herself in the limo she was not going to talk to him.

Ross seemed to be in no hurry to leave.  Even after coffee, he was urging her to join him in a night cap. The restaurant was clearing out now, only a few patrons remained. He was waiting for her to respond. Savannah's eyes lifted to his. She should not have done that. She inhaled heavily. Now she really wanted him to kiss her.

'Yes?' he grinned lazily.

'Yes,' she murmured with a smile, then mentally smacked herself. She thought she was saying yes to being kissed, instead off,  to the nightcap. Savannah drew her eyes away before she embarrassed herself.

Ross signalled to the waiter. He was silently battling the demons that were urging him to throw caution to the wind and take Savannah back to his place. He was very near crumbling. He wanted her. He desperately wanted her in his arms so he could have his fill of her.

Savannah watched Ross from the corner of her eye. He was so good looking. He looked so ... good in a suit. And he had gorgeous slender fingers, made for caressing. If only...

Ross was suddenly preoccupied. He'd tossed down his nightcap in one swallow. The drink was pretty potent from the sip she'd taken, but the expression on his face did not change as he emptied his glass in one swallow.

'You ready to leave?' he asked abruptly.

'Yes,' she nodded, putting her unfinished drink back on the table. She collected her bag, whilst Ross settled the bill. 'Thank you,' she murmured. He merely nodded, not looking at her.

Ross seemed subdued on the way home. As they'd exited the restaurant, Savannah had offered to take a cab home and was met with a deathly glare. In the limo, Ross seemed to be in a world of his own. Savannah sensed he did not want conversation. Neither did she for that matter. Not that she could even think of a single topic of conversation. Her only dialogue with him revolved around work. So now what? She was looking forward to a bubble bath. She mentally planned her wardrobe for the next morning. Thank heavens finally they were at her door.

'Thank you for dinner,' she offered politely. She was talking to herself, for Ross was already out the limo, coming around to her side. 'You don't have to ... ,' she stumbled out. Ross gripped her by the elbows.

'Thank you ... ,' she mumbled again, suddenly having brain freeze.

'I had a lovely evening,' he smiled lazily walking with her.

'You can go ... You don't need to walk me to the door,' she blurted.

'What's the matter Savannah? The men in your life, short on chivalry?' Even as he threw the accusation, he knew very well he'd witnessed the opposite.

Savannah dared not look at him. She fumbled in her bag for her keys. She cringed silently for her hands were shaking. She tried to get the key in, but it wasn't connecting into the keyhole.

'Allow me,' he pulled the keys out of her hand, before she could deny him.

'I can manage ...'

'Relax Savannah,' his voice was a whisper. 'Did you enjoy the evening?' he had the key in, but deliberately had not opened it yet.

'Yes, thank you,' she was staring at the keyhole, waiting for the door to open.

'Savannah!'

'Yes,' she answered him, but did not meet his eyes.

Ross gently lifted his thumb to her chin.  Her eyes were darkened. Nervously, she licked her lip. Ross's head lowered towards her.

Oh God he's going to kiss me!

'It's about time you got home.'

'Robbie! 'What are you doing here?
Savannah jumped away from Ross.'

'Who the hell are you?' Ross growled. He was just about to kiss Savannah.  What the hell was I thinking? Thank heavens this loser interrupted us.

'How did you get in?' Savannah narrowed her eyes.

'You still leave a spare key under the pot plant,' he grinned.

Savannah shut her eyes.

'Savannah? Who the hell is this?'

'My brother ... Robbie.'

'Oh ! Am I interrupting something? '

'Shut up Robbie!' Savannah walked in and dumped her handbag on the counter. And I thought you were in Florida ... working!'

Ross studied the siblings. Whilst Savannah was the consummate professional, intelligent, confident, carried herself well. Her sibling was the total opposite. He had not shaved in a week it seems. His hair was unruly. His jeans needed a belt to hold it onto his hips. It looked like he'd been using the same shirt for the last three days.

Savannah glared at her brother. She so did not want Ross to be here, but with his arms curiously folded, it did not seem like he was leaving soon. Why hadn't he just driven off? Why had he stepped out the vehicle?

'Robbie?' Savannah drew out patiently. 'What happened to the job you had in Florida?'

The job he promised, was going to get him on his feet for the hundredth time. The job, she paid the air tickets, for him to get to. The job he promised was going to pay him so much money, he was going to pay his sister back for all the times of his adult life she'd been spoon feeding him. So incensed was Savannah, she'd forgotten Ross was just behind her.

As long as Savannah could remember, he'd never been able to keep a decent job. Every two months, he was in a new job. Their parents were retired, with not much savings to see them through each month. Savannah helped with their rent, groceries and medical bills as well. It was to Savannah also, that Robbie looked, every time he quit a job.

'The weather was lousy ... ,' Robbie mumbled. 'Not many members booked into the club ... we were sitting around not doing anything.'

'Couldn't you get another job in another club? I thought they're always looking for barmen there!'

Her brother is a barman! Unbelievable. The siblings were as different as chalk and cheese. What the hell was wrong with this loser?

'Sorry about your evening dude,' Robbie smiled wryly.

'My name is Ross.'

Savannah spun around, only now remembering he was behind her. 'Perhaps you should leave,' she murmured.

'Looks like a keeper, Savannah,' Robbie commented, eyeing Ross's fancy designer watch, expensive suit and just Ross's aura smacked of power and wealth.

'Robbie, this is ...'

'Ross Templeton,' Ross interrupted before Savannah could finish.

She narrowed her eyes at her boss curiously.
What the hell is Ross up to?

'Robbie Knight, as you now know,' Robbie extended his hand.

'How about some coffee?' Ross requested.

'I'll put the kettle on,' Robbie escaped to the kitchen.

'Please ... I'd like you to ... leave. I need to deal with Robbie.'

'Now I understand your frugality,' Ross murmured softly.

Savannah looked away. She did not want Ross dissecting her private life.

'And why you drive that ancient car ...'

'My car is in perfect working condition,' her chin rose defiantly.

'Are there other siblings you support?' Ross was annoyed with himself that he had not read about her family in her file.

'No ... it's just me ... and Robbie.'

'How old is he?' Ross demanded.

'Twenty two.'

'He needs a kick in the behind!'

She agreed with Ross one hundred percent, but he was family. What should she do, let him sleep on the street or Central Park?  Robbie had always been spoilt by their parents because he was younger. Responsibility was not in Robbie's lexicon.

'So he's an out of work barman?'

Savannah cringed. 'He has a diploma in the I.T field,' she quickly came to her brother's defence. 'He was retrenched two years ago ... and it's been difficult for him to get into the field again.'

'Bring him into the office tomorrow,' Ross offered. 'Let's see if we can use him.'

'No!'

'And why not?' Ross questioned.

Robbie will embarrass me. He will not do his job. You will think it a reflection of me.

'I'm sure he will find something soon,' she answered softly.

'He's an out of work barman! If there was anything to find, he would not be breaking into your apartment.'

Savannah shifted her eyes away from Ross. He did not have to be so harsh.
Yes Robbie is a pain in the butt, but he's my brother.

'Fine, 'I'll bring him in, in the morning. Now can you please leave?' She held the door opened.

Ross grinned. 'Good night Savannah,' he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

That was so unexpected. He'd never previously done that. Their relationship had always been non-physical! Savannah lifted her fingers to the spot he had kissed.

He almost kissed me outside. What would his lips feel like? If only ...

'The Lover Boy gone?'

'That's my boss,' Savannah glared at her sibling. 'And what are you doing here Robbie?'

'Your boss! He was scrunching the tea towel in his hand. 'Why is your boss bringing you home? And I thought he wanted coffee, I've made it already.'

'He does that occasionally ...when I'm late getting home,' Savannah turned away from Robbie.
Thank heavens Robbie did not see us outside.

'So why are you on my doorstep Robbie? Why aren't you finding another job?'

'It's why I came back to New York sis,' his eyes travelled everywhere except at Savannah.

'You're an adult now Robbie. When are you going to start behaving responsibly? You keep quitting your jobs!'

Robbie dashed back into the kitchen and returned with two coffee mugs. 'You might as well have one,' he offered her a cup and sipped from the other.

Savannah wrinkled her face at the unpleasant taste of the instant coffee. 'Mr. Templeton won't drink this,' she informed Robbie.

'Sorry,' he smirked. 'He seemed in a hurry, I thought instant would be quicker.'

Savannah forced herself to drink the foul tasting coffee. Why ever did she buy that awful brand? No doubt she was also spoilt with the aromatic filter coffee served in the office.

'Mr. Templeton would like to see you tomorrow morning. He said he'll see if there's something for you to do.'

'Really! Do you think he'll give me a job? I'll do anything sis, anything.'

'I don't know Robbie. He did not make any promises, but you better understand something, if he offers you a job, you must work hard and prove yourself worthy.'

'I will sis. I will,' he paused then questioned Savannah. 'So everything's very formal around the office then?'

'Yes,' Savannah narrowed her eyes. 'Very formal. Don't ever forget it.'

'Okay,' he mumbled, draining his coffee cup.

'Did you have dinner?'

'I grabbed a pie from the bakery around the corner,' he nodded.

'I'm going to bed Robbie. You can use the spare room for tonight.'

'Good night sis and thank you for letting me stay the night.'

'It's not like I had a choice, you helped yourself.'

He squirmed, shuffling his feet. 'I'll make it up to you. You'll see,' he promised.

The next morning Savannah was in two minds about Robbie working at her company. She did not want her brother embarrassing her and on the other hand, Robbie needed to work and earn a salary. She wondered what job Ross would offer Robbie and what about the rigorous security protocol she had been subjected to.  Savannah was so preoccupied, she had not heard the elevator opening.

'Where's Robbie?' Ross questioned without even a greeting.

'Morning. He's just in the gents.'

Ross nodded unsmilingly and marched into his office.

Did you have lemons for breakfast?

Why was he in such a foul mood? Maybe he changed his mind. Maybe he did not want to waste his time and money hiring Robbie. Savannah poured Ross his coffee and strode into his office.

'I don't think you should offer Robbie a job,' she placed his coffee on his well polished desk.

'Why?'

'Well ... if you offer him a job, then he will want to stay with me and ...'

'Going to cramp your style with your lover? Ross dished out before she could finish.

'Off course not! Her cheeks were inflamed. 'It's just  ... you don't know Robbie.'

'I think I got the picture last night,' Ross deliberately held her eyes. 'Besides, he need not stay with you.'

'Excuse me?' She gazed into his beautiful, clean shaven face. His military styled hair cut made him look ... adorably rough and rugged.

'If he gets hired,' Ross emphasised. 'He can stay at the club.'

Ross owned a three story building where his flight crew and other single people in his employ could stay if they preferred. It had all the recreational facilities young people enjoyed.

Savannah's eyes widened. It seemed Ross had already put a lot of thought into this. Why?

'Why would you do this for Robbie?'

He was in a three piece suit today. He looked gorgeous. His jacket draped over his shoulders perfectly. His trousers fitted his muscular thighs beautifully.

I'm doing it for you Savannah.

Ross drank from his coffee cup, deliberately taking his time.

'Robbie needs a job. There may be an opportunity in Logistics,' Ross smiled. 'You know how those deliveries are taking too long to reach its destination. 'Well, I want Robbie to beef up our tracking program. You said he's proficient in I.T. I want a live system that will show our clients exactly where their merchandise is at any given time. You think he can handle that?'

'Yes,' Savannah nodded. 'I think that will be simple enough for Robbie. We already have a tracking system. It just needs to be tweaked.'

'He will report to the Logistics Manager. Is this fair?' Ross scribbled an amount on a piece of paper.'

Savannah gasped. 'That's more than fair. You're very kind. Thank you.'

'Like every other employee, he will be on probation for three months. He will only get one chance Savannah.'

'Yes, I understand,' she nodded and silently hoped Robbie would pull his weight.

'Send Robbie straight to Logistics. I've already spoken to Jack Harper.'

Savannah stared at her boss. Just when did he speak to Jack? He'd only just walked in.

'Anything else?' Ross's eyes held a trace of amusement.

'No ... nothing else,' she high tailed out of his office.

'What did he say? Is he going to see me? Do I have a job? Can he help me?'

'You're going to see this gentleman,' Savannah handed Robbie a page with Jack's office number and telephone extension. 'I'm going to call a messenger to escort you.'

'Do you think I'll get it?' Robbie enquired eagerly.

Savannah did not bother informing Robbie that he already had a job or what the fantastic salary would be. She let him stew for a bit. Mr. Harper will interview you,' she smiled encouragingly.

'I'm taking you to dinner, if I get the job,' Robbie winked.

'You won't get paid in advance Robbie. You will only have a salary after working a month,' she cautioned.

'I know,' he frowned. 'I did save up some money from Florida,' he grinned. 'So I can treat my sister to a meal.'

'Then I look forward to it,' she smiled. 'Now I have work to do, you get going,' she instructed.

Savannah busied herself with her work, but her mind was on her moody boss? What was his problem today? Why is he in such a foul mood? His lover better come back from her modelling assignment. Savannah felt an attack in the pit of her stomach, an attack of jealousy so severe, she wanted to scream, stay where you are permanently.

'I got it Savannah. I got the job,' Robbie returned a few hours later and beamed excitedly. He had spent the morning learning the entire logistics channel of activities.

'Congratulations,' Savannah looked up from the letter she was typing. 'Don't screw this up Robbie.'

'I won't,' his cheeks reddened. 'Check this out,' he showed her his letter of appointment that stated his fantastic salary.

'Again,' Savannah sighed. 'Don't screw it up!'

Robbie sat down in the chair opposite her desk. 'I know you've done a lot for me sis and that you think mum and dad spoil me ...'

'They do,' she interrupted him ignoring the little voice that reminded her she was always without hesitation putting money into his bank account every time he called begging for cash from her, 'It's why you've never been responsible,' she added.

'From today, I'm going to become Mr. Responsible,' he stood up soberly.

'About time little brother.'

'I must get back to my desk,' he murmured softly. 'So we still on for dinner tonight, my treat,' he smiled boyishly.

'Sure,' she smiled. 'Let's make it an early one. I have a movie date.'

'Okay, oh, I have more good news,' Robbie grinned. 'There is a fancy club where I can stay and I don't need to pay rent,' he bragged.

'It's no five star hotel,' Savannah informed him. 'It just has a bedroom with a kitchenette and a bathroom.

Savannah went there from time to time to inspect the place with the building's maintenance manager on Ross's behalf.

Ross was walking out of his office to go to lunch. He looked at the siblings. Savannah was smiling at her brother. Guess he got his letter of appointment. Ross liked doing things that put a smile on his secretary's face. Last night after leaving Savannah's apartment, he returned to the office, just to look into the personnel's file, specifically the one for his secretary. She had two retired elderly parents. Ross' guess was she supported them financially too. No wonder she lived in that rundown apartment and drove that ... awful jalopy. He will make a plan to increase her salary. He'd known last night he was going to offer Robbie employment. He'd gotten Harper out of bed last night to accommodate Robbie in his department. He would do anything to help his secretary and last night she was distraught about her irresponsible brother who it seemed, judging from the frantic look on her face, was again out of work.

'Robbie,' Ross called from his doorway.

'Yes, Mr. Templeton,' Robbie spun around.

'You need a haircut and a shave. Savannah send him to my stylist!'

It was fine for Robbie to look like a hippie as a barman in Florida but in his company, Ross commanded a more formal dress code.
Savannah looked up. Again Ross was footing the bill for Robbie. Her boss really had a very generous heart. Why was he going out on a limb for Robbie? Not that she did not appreciate it. Hopefully this will be a turning point in Robbie's life. Savannah had been praying for the day Robbie would be able to stand on his own two feet. He was a man, he needed to, for heaven's sake.

'Yes,' she nodded and picked up the phone to inform Ross's hair stylist to slot Robbie into his diary for today.

'Robbie at five o' clock, I want a proposal on how you're going to improve our tracking. Don't be late.'

'Yes ... yes Mr. Templeton, but Robbie was talking to the closed door.  Ross was already striding to the elevator.

'Get going,' Savannah handed him the details for Ross's hairdresser. 'Don't be late coming back Robbie,' she warned.

Robbie nodded obediently and rushed out, using the public elevator.

It was Saturday evening. Savannah was spending the day in. She and Robert had had a pleasant evening at the movies the previous night. Savannah was relieved she did not need to invent a headache or a reason not to invite Robert in. He had to rush out of state on business and would only be returning the following Tuesday. She was secretly thrilled to have the time to herself.

Oh why the hell don't you just tell Robert, you're not interested? You really are pathetic Savannah!

'You were washing your hair!' Ross remarked seeing her hair wrapped in a towel.

'Is that a foreign concept to you?'

Even if he was her boss, couldn't she even shower in peace? She looked at him somewhat annoyed. She had had to run from her bathroom to answer the pounding on her front door. Savannah had thought it was Robbie making a nuisance of himself and now the irritated look was still plastered on her face. What did he want on a Saturday afternoon? There was nothing urgent as far as she was concerned.

'Why didn't you tell me? Ross demanded.

'Would you have believed me?' She tried to ignore how good he looked in figure hugging jeans and a Polo shirt that looked like it was knitted on his broad shoulders.

An odd expression she could not decipher creased his brow for a millisecond before it vanished. He had practically been knocking her door down, when she yelled from her bathroom that she was on her way.

'Do you like Chinese?'

He admired her casual attire. Her slender legs were wrapped in cream sweat pants. Her shapely body had a matching jacket on. Did she have anything on under the jacket?

'Excuse me?' Savannah starred at her boss dumbfounded.

Ross lifted the bag in his hand. 'I felt like Chinese,' he smiled so casually like they were in a relationship or something and she did not need to cook tonight. 'I did not feel like eating alone,' he brushed past Savannah uninvited.'

'What if I was out or had company?'

'But you're in and you don't have company,' his head swivelled back to her from the direction of her opened bedroom door, revealing she was alone.

Savannah's eyes narrowed.

You really are arrogant, impossible, annoying and ...welcome.

'Surely the extremely attractive Ross Templeton is not short on female company that he knocks, bangs more like it on his secretary's door, on a Saturday evening.'

He flushed darkly. 'Am I?' His voice turned soft, almost a husky whisper.

She turned away not answering.

This man drives me crazy...with desire.
Her eyes kept going to the flesh visible through his unbuttoned shirt.

'The network's down so I could not access my black book.'

Savannah threw her head back and laughed. Ross smiled. She was gorgeous and even more so when she laughed. What a beautiful sound. The smile disappeared of her face. Ross dragged oxygen into his lungs. Without taking his eyes of her, he placed the bag of food on the coffee table.

'I have to dry my hair, crockery is in there,' she escaped, pointing to her tiny kitchen.

What is going on? Why is he here? He and I had dinner two nights ago. Ross what are you doing in my very respectable and cramped apartment?

But nothing could stop the wild beating of her heart or the adrenalin pumping like crazy inside her chest. Savannah could not wait to join Ross in her lounge again. Thank heavens Robbie had alternative accommodation and Savannah made sure not to return the spare key to the previous hiding place. If ever she got stuck, she was going to have to call a lock smith. She rushed out now. Her hair was dried but not styled very neatly. She hadn't wasted time using a brush. She'd just used her fingers to comb through it until it was dry. Her hair was not untidy, she just looked...wanton.

He was waiting for her, relaxed on the settee, looking like the king of the jungle in her lounge. His arm was carelessly spread across the back rest of both the seats. He looked up when he saw her standing there indecisively. Ross smiled, patting the seat next to him.

'Food's getting warm.'

Self consciously, she put her hand to her long silky strands curled around her face. He liked the way her messed up hair tousled round her cheeks. Savannah decided to go for safety and took the single seater opposite Ross. His lips pursed into a grin. He said nothing, merely offering her a plate.

So he'd managed to find his way around my kitchen.

There were plates, knives, forks, glasses and the inexpensive wine from her refrigerator.

'We're having chicken,' he announced, 'and I noticed you had some wine chilling.'

'You may not like the wine. The girls were here earlier in the week. They left the wine here,' she babbled. Ross had very expensive tastes.

'I'm sure it will be just fine,' he smiled graciously.

They ate in silence. She was a bundle of nerves. She stole a glance at him on occasion. Ross seemed to be enjoying his meal. The stale wine seemed delicious. Ross had poured her two glasses already. She tried to think of something to say to break the deafening silence, but as usual around him, her brain clogged.

Ross tucked heartily into his chicken chow mein belying his reflective thoughts. He'd spent the whole day thinking about Savannah and by evening when she was still consuming his thoughts, he promptly drove to his favourite Chinese takeout restaurant, and arrived with dinner on her doorstep. He knew if he'd called or invited her out she would have declined, so he'd proverbially brought the mountain to Moses. He knew he was taking a risk. She could have been in Morey's arms. Thankfully the god's were in his favour.

There were many things he liked about his secretary, like the fact that she could eat in silence and allow his unbridled thoughts to run riot in technicolour. She had the most beautiful, glossy auburn hair. It fanned her soft, milk white complexion. Her hazel eyes were always expressive. Not brave enough to really glare at him, they always half rolled beautifully. Initially she had been irritated at him banging on her door, but now she was relaxed, calm, waiting for him to start talking about business. He laughed inwardly. The only business on his mind right now was her.

'Thank you, that was lovely,' she placed her empty plate carefully back on the table.

'The pleasure is all mine,' his voice, a seductive caress.

Their eyes collided. His aura of power was commanding. She felt the need to escape.

'I'll just take this into the kitchen,' she stood up.

'Leave it,' he commanded.

She sat down again.

'I have dessert,' he smiled. 'But you'll have to sit here,' he patted the seat next to him again. 'It's best eaten without attempting to break it up.'

'What is it?' she asked suspiciously, not believing him for a second.

'Heard of Orange Ricotta Pillows filled with Lillet Kumquat Compote?'

'You just made that up!'

'Nope,' he smiled, opening the container.

Savannah's eyes dipped into the box. It looked like a creamy ricotta filling stuffed in nutty crepes kind of a contraption. It looked absolutely delicious. It did look justifiably delicate enough that it should only be scooped out with a dessert spoon.  Nervously she took a seat next to Ross.

His head down attempting to scoop out a portion, she did not see the wicked gleam in his eyes. Of course they could quite easily have been reduced to smaller portions with something as mundane as a pizza slicer but she did not need to know that.

'There you go,' he handed her a teaspoon.

'Thank you,' Savannah carefully scooped a spoonful and lifted it to her mouth. The creamy ricotta was coming alive in her mouth. 'Very nice,' she repeatedly dabbed at her lips with the paper napkin. Savannah watched wide-eyed as Ross took a generous mouthful. She was entranced as his mouth did justice to the creamy delicacy.

'Tuck in,' he smiled, 'or I'm going to leave nothing for you.'

They took turns scooping up the smooth buttery dessert, until it was down to the very last piece. Savannah's spoon hovered half way to it.

'You have it,' she lowered her spoon.

'No you have it,' he laughed.

'No I insist you have it,' she leaned back against the settee.

'Okay we'll share,' he leaned over offering her the first bite from his spoon

'No... ,' it was forced through her parted lips.  Ross's spoon was practically inside her mouth.  He tricked her, making sure she finished everything on his spoon.

'Now there's nothing left for you,' she laughed.

Their eyes met. Ross stopped smiling, his eyes dissolved in a blaze of molten desire.

Her eyes dilated. Her breathing quickened. She looked away. Twin red spots on her cheeks added to her sexy appeal. Nervously she licked her lower lip. Ross leaned closer. Her eyes lifted to his dark lazy eyes...they were a deep violet.

His head lowered.

'No ... ' she whispered, not making any attempt to escape.

'Yes,' he countered.

His gaze raked over her, searing her to the bone. Evidence of her stark hunger betrayed her all too easily. Her eyes deepened to a sultry, smokey bronze. Her heart was hammering. Ross watched, a decadent smile etched on his face as she battled with herself.

His lips descended on her. The warmth of his mouth was intoxicating. His tender kiss was so sensuous. Savannah was excited, terrified, nervous, imploding with desire. A sensation, like a bolt of lightning shot through her.

'Savannah,' his voice became unraveled at the edges.

Her mouth lifted from his, gazing into his eyes. Her flashing eyes and lush mouth gave her away. He kissed her trembling lips again. A silent despairing groan locked in her throat. Their mouths met in an explosion of mutual need. Excitement washed through her. The flimsy barriers disintegrated, her body shivered with lust. She closed her eyes as a wave of ecstasy swept through her...she wanted him.

'Ross ...' Her fingers clawed, feeling the swell of male muscles beneath his shoulders.

His fingers splayed the flesh at her neck, her body tingled. She wanted to feel his masterful fingers lower...her breasts were taut with desire for his caress. 
The incessant screeching tone of the mobile was distraction enough for Savannah. 'It's yours,' she pushed Ross away.

Heaving breathlessly he hauled out his phone. He waited a few seconds before he answered with a calm that he was far from feeling.

'Darling I'm at the airport. Come and fetch me,' Raquel Barros purred into the mouthpiece.'

                                                                                      -end chapter nine-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 44.6K 14
Her attraction for him was so strong, she gifted him her innocence. She loved him enough and hoped after 14 months of being together, he would recip...
1.7K 6 6
There is no greater ally, nor greater enemy, than the one who knows you inside out; who takes their time to admire your strengths and manipulate your...
229 2 33
How could she turn down her boss when he was also the same man she loved for quite some time. She lived her life being late to work and making deli r...
1.1M 39.9K 22
One summer of fun changed everything for her. Hannah thought she found the one person who could make her laugh through her tears. He proved her wrong...