Roots and Oxygen

By SianaghGallagher

Prince Sage, the man next in line to be king, offers to nurture a dying house plant back to life. He soon rea... More

Chapter 1 - Rotting Roots
Chapter 2 - Inconvenient Deaths
Chapter 3 - Ghosts and Wives
Chapter 4 - Conspicuous Plant
Chapter 5 - Improper Trials
Chapter 6 - Buttons of Exoticism
Chapter 7 - Counterfeit Tears
Chapter 8 - Valuable Grievances
Chapter 9 - Catastrophic Stumble
Chapter 10 - Offensive Compliments
Chapter 11 - Confidence and Waistcoats
Chapter 12 - Firing the Outspoken
Chapter 13 - Exposing Consultations
Chapter 14 - Greenthenor Secrets
Chapter 15 - Perplexing Pothos
Chapter 16 - Intruder's Misfortune
Chapter 17 - Invasive Desires
Chapter 18 - Shielding Leaves
Chapter 19 - Embracing Change
Chapter 20 - Broken Boundaries
Chapter 21 - Green Confessions
Chapter 22 - Indented Vinea
Chapter 23 - Epipremnum Aureum
Chapter 24 - Verdurous Pothos Legends
Chapter 25 - Hierarchy Climbing Plant
Chapter 26 - Blooming Quirks
Chapter 27 - Bizarre Normality
Chapter 28 - Amity
Chapter 29 - Queen's Spectre
Chapter 30 - Deceptions and Espionage
Chapter 31 - Roots and Brutes
Chapter 32 - Three-Sided Penny
Chapter 33 - Tension
Chapter 34 - Worth the Risk
Chapter 35 - Individual Liberty
Chapter 37 - Gold Over Gaiety
Chapter 38 - Caress the Curls
Chapter 39 - Together As One
Chapter 40 - Murphy's Law
Chapter 41 - Skeleton in the Closet
Chapter 42 - Poise, Grace, a Vengeful Face
Chapter 43 - Veiled Veracity
Chapter 44 - Precipitation
Chapter 45 - Anticipatory Anxiety
Chapter 46 - A Conscientious Companion
Chapter 47 - Discreet Encroachment
Chapter 48 - Vigilant Kindred
Chapter 49 - Telling Truths
Chapter 50 - Abscond
Chapter 51 - Blue-Sow Thistle Cottage
Chapter 52 - Amiable Local
Chapter 53 - Tranquil Touches
Chapter 54 - Divulge the Future King
Chapter 55 - Snow Serpents
Chapter 56 - Cognition
Chapter 57 - Rapid Torrent
Chapter 58 - Luculent Relations
Chapter 59 - Green
Chapter 60 - Insecure Confidence
Chapter 61 - Liars Lending Credence
Chapter 62 - Amende Honourable
Chapter 63 - Arduous Decisions
Chapter 64 - Coalition of Pride
Chapter 65 - Royal Probity
Chapter 66 - Augury
Chapter 67 - Whited Sepulchre
Chapter 68 - Dual Crown
Chapter 69 - Room of Truth
Chapter 70 - Semblance of Normality
Chapter 71 - Desolation
Chapter 72 - Candour Queen
Chapter 73 - Egotistic Prince
Chapter 74 - Duplicity
Chapter 75 - Reconciliation
Chapter 76 - Mend Fences
Chapter 77 - Genesis

Chapter 36 - Green Fingers

7.7K 751 272
By SianaghGallagher

Does he realise he's staring at me? Thought Taro, who was pinned to the right wall with two other guards. Sage, who sat among a cluster of chairs, had a sombre look in his eye. Even from across the room, Taro could see how the energy of the room drained him. Taro silently mouthed, are you okay?

Sage blinked and suddenly dropped his gaze, but that wasn't the last time Sage looked away after catching himself staring. Taro wondered what he was thinking, and whether anyone else had noticed Sage's glumness.

The night for him was long and dreary. Taro stood in the same place because Sage sat in the same seat, only talking to those who approached him. Then his mother sat next to him, shared a private whisper, and Sage eventually got up to fake smile and be more social.

Of course, Sage glanced his way whenever they faced each other.

Taro was once again fascinated by how he could find the strength. He would've watched Sage for longer, but another set of eyes were on him. Taro glanced to one of the ridiculously tall windows and connected eyes with the Queen.

She wore a magnificent off shoulder mint green dress. White lace travelled from the bottom of the dress up to her waist with an effortless ombre effect. Mint lace covered her arms and arrowed over the back of her hand. Her dress was the brightest and the biggest in the room. If it weren't for the golden tiara above her curls, just her presence told everyone that she was important.

Sage looked more like his father than his mother, but they shared the same dark skin and rich brown curls, and dark observant eyes. Her stare was particularly curious, but as quickly as her gaze had fallen on him, they were on someone else.

The event ended at midnight. Sage had to say goodbye to everyone before he could escape. Instead of going to bed, he wanted to go for a walk in the gardens. Taro could only imagine that his head was too busy to sleep after a night of talking. He too needed fresh air.

They walked in silence for a while. Sage walked ahead with hands linked behind his back. His fingers fidgeted which was a sign that he had a lot on his mind. Taro wanted to give him space, but he didn't want to seem distant.

Sage walked the furthest he could from the Palace and sat on a bench next to a small water fountain. The only sound around them was the noise of trickling water. Taro eyed the bushes; none of his kind slept in hearing distance, so he shared the bench.

Taro sat close enough for their legs to touch, which seemed to pull Sage out of his deep thoughts. "I think you're the only one who didn't stumble their way out of the building," Taro said.

"I think I was the only one not having a good time," Sage mumbled, looking around at the surrounding plants. "Are we alone?"

"Yes."

Sage slouched and unbuttoned his waistcoat. "I don't know how I managed to stay to the end. Everyone seemed to be so interested in my love life. Seeing you standing there after what we've talked about..." Sage sighed. "It just saddened me that I wasn't brave enough to say anything."

"It's not that you're not brave, you're just not ready for all the opinions from people who have no business involving themselves in your personal life." Taro nudged him. "One day I'm sure you can scream it from the roof, and I want to be there when you do."

Sage smiled weakly. "I can see now how ashamed I was of myself. I wish I could be more like you."

"Excuse me, I'm an original." Taro grinned and put his arm on the back of the bench. His fingers curled gently around Sage's arm. "You're Sagerian Greenthenor, god what a mouthful," Taro scoffed, and Sage chuckled. "You're your own person. You're just figuring things out in your own time. At least now you're seeing how closeted you were."

"I guess that's a start."

"Don't be so hard on yourself." Taro's fingers raised and circled Sage's shoulder. "One day at a time."

"One day at a time," Sage repeated. Taro's moving fingers were so calming, Sage closed his eyes. "Are you feeling okay after yesterday?"

"Yes, I feel great. I recover fast."

"Your shoulder's not sore anymore?"

"No."

Sage hesitated, then slowly rested his head against Taro's shoulder. He pursed his lips and didn't open his eyes. "This doesn't hurt?"

"No." Taro liked the tickling of Sage's curls against his neck. They sat like that until Sage's head drooped with tiredness. Taro closely followed him to the bedroom and got him ready for bed. Sage was asleep moments after his head touched the pillow, but Taro waited until he was sure Sage was deeply sleeping to leave the bedroom.

He didn't go far, only down the hallway to the nearest guard. "Stand outside Prince Sage's room tonight."

The guard stared with hard eyes. "What happened to you yesterday? I saw Prince Sage running down the corridor with you in a very compromised state."

Taro looked around and lowered his voice. "Someone pushed me to the floor."

The guard sharply inhaled. His green eyes darted around the corridor. "Who?"

"I don't know. I was hoping you would have seen someone coming up the stairs."

"I didn't. I'm too far from Prince Sage's room to hear or see anyone coming or leaving. But these stairs are the only ones anyone would use."

"Apart from the servant's stairs." They stared coldly at one another. "I think someone noticed me."

"Or prince Sage could've done it. You said he was an ally, I've heard the rumours, but how can you be sure?"

Taro curled his fingers to fists. "Prince Sage spent the entire day with me yesterday to make sure I recovered. He put a lot on the line by dropping everything to save my life."

"And how did you recover from a night with no soil?"

"Luck." Taro glanced around again. "Come on, I should go back."

The guard stood outside of Sage's doors, and Taro silently checked the room to make sure they were still alone. Instead of shifting and sleeping on the bedside table, he sat on the edge of the bed, frowning down at Sage sleeping.

He didn't want to worry him by telling Sage that someone snuck into his bedroom and tried to kill his houseplant. Taro had faced many challenges while living in a world where his kind were a myth. He was in constant danger of being exposed, and sometimes he liked teetering on the edge of disaster.

He ran a thumb over his green nails. A few guests had noticed them and stared at him oddly. Taro sighed. I'll have to be more careful, for Sage's sake.

The next day, Taro was wary of everyone in the servant's quarters. While ironing Sage's clothes, he watched everyone who entered the room. Most of them muttered a tired greeting or gave him a quick nod. His old roommate gave him a quick hello before dashing out to help collect the silverware for breakfast.

Taro hadn't given anyone an opportunity to think that he could turn into a plant, so who had noticed?

He returned to Sage with a cold shiver down his spine, but that soon melted away when he saw Sage sitting up in bed, rubbing his eyes. "Good morning."

Sage tumbled out of bed and greeted him with a yawn and a small wave, mumbling, "I really need a shower."

Taro waited right outside the bathroom door, so when Sage rushed out with a towel around his waist, they bumped into each other. "Watch where you're going," Taro joked.

"What are you doing standing in the doorway!" Sage said after almost losing grip of his towel.

"I can stand wherever I want." Taro stood in Sage's way when he tried to leave the bathroom.

"Well go and stand over there, so I can get out."

"No." Taro grinned when Sage's hazel eyes fell heavily into his. "Make me."

Sage looked hopelessly at the changing wall behind Taro. "Why are you being annoying?"

"Because I can."

"Move."

"No."

Sage tried again to get past him. Taro refused to budge until Sage laughed at his stubbornness and shoved him hard enough to get through. Taro followed him closely, pinching Sage's side until he turned and whacked his hands away. "Get my underwear," Sage ordered.

Taro did as he said and didn't pry. His heart burned strong when Sage stepped out in a pair of black boxers. Taro's eyes travelled his body enough times to make Sage blush and timidly wrap arms around himself.

"Don't be shy," Taro said, handing him a pair of dark green jeans that went nicely with a white shirt and a light grey knitted jumper. "I'm your Valet, and your personal guard, and your person of interest."

Taro's heart fluttered the way it always did when Sage faced away so he could smile in private. Sage had fallen asleep with his head on Taro's shoulder only seven hours ago, and now he was all shy and awkward again. Taro did find it cute, but he also wondered when Sage would break out of his reluctance and start getting what he wanted.

Taro knew Sage wanted him. The way Sage looked at him was clear enough, but whether his stares would lead to more than just a hand-squeeze and a shoulder to lean on, Taro was yet unsure. He hoped with all his might, but there was only so far that he could guide Sage, the rest was up to him.

Though Sage was progressing quickly; his shell was breaking away day by day.

"We should have a date," Taro suggested. "A secret one in here for us to properly get to know one another."

Sage seemed to like the idea of a date, but obviously avoided the word. "W-We could have lunch together," he stuttered. "I mean... I'll have a lunch you can... uh, drink water?" Sage smiled and pinched the bridge of his nose while Taro's heart swelled in his chest. "I keep forgetting you're a plant person. That still sounds so strange to say aloud." Sage finished dressing, but before they left the room for breakfast, he asked, "Why was there another guard outside my door this morning?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 176 8
After the crown prince turned twenty-five, the king and queen organized a ball in hopes of finding him a suitable bride. Yet, something strange occur...
19 4 4
Over in the world that thrived with magic and fantasies, a man that once a Florist was forced by his own curiosity to uncover a mystery of who he rea...
Royal Thief By Rai

General Fiction

7.3K 401 56
PREQUEL | BL Alone in his huge room, no people roaming in the dark alley, not enough good guards guarding their manor. Soon to be Duke, Lord Idris Ga...
105K 8.1K 33
Sage is what her mother calls a dreamer: she believes in magic, true love, and happy endings. Unfortunately for Sage, her mother is determined to c...