His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

Par RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... Plus

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 51: Presumed scandal

63 3 1
Par RaeySam

"There never was a scandalous tale without some foundation."

-Richard Brinsley Sheridan
⚜️

It would seem that since the beginning of the season the town's notorious gossip section had nothing in store for the patrons.

Yet.

Some would think it was too early for any scandal to emerge but the recent stories were too boring even for the wallflowers to read. Everyone was tiptoeing around the balls and the Mama's are being careful with their daughters. The writers knew they had to come up with some story to fend them off and keep the masses entertained.

The readers were hungry.

The story of the Duke of Ackernetch and his friend exchanging blows have been long forgotten. It would seem that no one was interested in men's fist fights.

So when the rich and famous yet private lord of the Montessor tower held a ball one night, people were beaming with excitement and hope.

The party was at its finest when the arrival of a royalty was announced, the trumpets were blown and the dance floor cleared. Everyone had stared at the massive doors, holding their breath to have a glance at an important guest.

"His majesty, Prince Ylsien of Kelmsleigh."

It was the second prince. The guests have began to murmur around. Why would royalty visit the tower? And whilst during the season? Did anyone knew of it?

What they saw was a rather young man who sported the royal purple ensemble that anyone could envy. He smiled at the guests while they bowed as he walked by. His entourage followed behind.

The host, Count Mondiego came up and bowed at the young prince.

"Your Highness, welcome to Montessor tower."

"Rise Count Mondiego. And I thank you for the warm welcome. I believe we have arrived just in time for the dancing."

"Indeed, your timing is most gallant, your Highness. Please, come right this way." Count Mondiego led him towards the high tables where only the highest of ranks were allowed to occupy. It was situated on an elevated structure so that when the prince sat down, he could still see the entire ballroom. It was the best seat in the house.

"Carry on." Ylsien said to the musicians.

They did and everyone went back to the dance floor and continued.

"I guess he could attend the season at his age. Its not like he's here for a wife anyways." Whispered a curious matron to her friend.

"Of course not, you silly. A prince can only marry a princess. His brother, the crown prince has been betrothed since birth to another royalty."

"But it does not answer the question why he is here." Commented another woman.

"One can only imagine. The royalties can do whatever they pleased and leave us all wondering." Replied another.

Evangeline watched as the whole spectacle unfold. She clenched her teeth. This was bad. Everyone was too distracted by the prince's arrival. She had to do something before the night ended. She stared at the group of matrons heavily gossiping on one corner. They would have to do.
***

Emelia was fumbling at her skirt. What if the plan won't work? She looked at Alexi who stood next to her, he looked calm and unbothered. Well, why would he be?

"Breathe, Em. I am here. We will make this work." He said.

"I am trying. I apologize if I cannot act as nonchalant as you do."

"You think I am not scared?"

"Why should you be? You're a bloody prince for gods sake." She replied.

"What are you implying, Em?"

"Nothing, I...I was out of line. I should be thanking you for doing this for me."

"Thank me once we succeed, Em."

"Alright. I will."

"Now sit tight."

"I am."

He sighed but said nothing. So she kept her mouth shut as well. They have been on this empty room while Evangeline was away. They had vacated the previous room where Stanley had currently occupied. Alexi promised he had his men watching Stanley and he also swore not to have him killed. Though the latter was forcibly and explicitly not what he wanted.

She prayed Evangeline would come in time because she wouldn't have any excuse to tell Lucille.

They suddenly heard footsteps outside the door and almost immediately, Alexi jumped right at her and had pushed her against the wall. She opened her mouth to speak but the intruder beat her to it. A squeak merely escaped her.

"Who goes there?" Asked the voice.

Em stiffened. But the room was dark and Alexi was right in front of her, he quickly moved and with his left arm shielding her figure, she was quite hidden on his back.

"Alexi? What is the meaning of this?"

He kept Emelia up against the wall while also keeping her face out of the intruder's view. He towered at her by a good one foot and the only light coming into the room was from the crack of the door. Alexi moved his faced caught Em's eyes and told her to stay put. He then carefully turned his head so see who had came upon them.

"Is that you...Davensport?" Alexi asked. The light was not enough to discern his features just yet.

"What?" Emelia whispered. "Which one?"

Alexi ignored her, "Would you mind closing the door and leave? I believe this does not concern you." Darn it. This was not the plan. His men should be guarding the door and not let anyone else in.

"Unfortunately, I am in need of a hiding place." He replied and closed the door. The room was dark once more. No one spoke until their eyes adjusted to darkness. "I will only stay for a spell, those gossipmongers are hounding me like crazy. Now pray tell, why would a prince such as yourself be in an empty room?"

Alexi tried to smile, "You caught me at a delicate situation, I'm afraid."

"Ohh..." his eyes caught a lighter clothing behind Alexi and with a few more blinks, he realized there was figure behind hiding behind the prince. Was that a woman? "Mayhap the lady can leave us men? I do have something to discuss anyways. We haven't had much time during the wedding."

"I'm afraid I cannot let her leave." Alexi replied.

"Whyever not?" He took one step closer and both Alexi and the figure behind him moved back, "Did you ruin her?" He whispered.

Em gasped but kept her place behind the prince. Alexi sighed, this was getting awkward. "I may have. Now, do you understand why she cannot leave?"

"You might as well let her leave. I will not tell a soul what I saw tonight. The hallway is empty, if she hurries back, she could flee back to the ballroom. Should anyone question our presence here we could always deny seeing her. It will be her word against ours and I am confident they shall not doubt us." He said nonchalantly and began to make his way towards the cabinet where the liquors were kept. With his back to them he continued, "If you cared for your reputation, you should not have followed a woman in an empty room."

"Watch your words." Alexi warned. "You do not know what happened here."

"I am merely stating facts." He finally found a lonely bourbon on the back of the shelf. Pouring himself a glass, the room grew quieter. "Or are you frustrated that I arrived while you were at it?"

"I shall pretend I did not hear that from you, Davensport. But you need to go. Now."

He could feel the anger from Alexi's voice but prince or not, he was not in the mood to go play fetch. His head was throbbing so painfully that if he were to face another gossiping mother, he'd explode. He would rather exchange banters with this man and escape both the crowd and his defiant wife.

"I shall not leave this room until you show me who that is."

"As I have said, this does not concern you. There is no need for you to know her." Alexi said. "Now, take your drink and leave."

Curiosity had began to gnaw at his pit. Why was Alexi so darn persistent in hiding her? Was she a lady of high status? Or mayhap, someone from a lower station? There was only one way to find out. He raised his hands and placed the glass down. "Fine. It would seem that you are in a foul mood anyways."

He walked away from the cabinet and looked as if he was turning away but on one quick motion Alexi was flipped away and Em was revealed to Damian. The latter's jaw dropped.

"E-Emelia?"

She looked away and refused to answer him.

"I believe you are interrupting us, Damian." Alexi said. "If you would be so kind—"

Damian did not let him finish the sentence and simply grabbed his cravat. "What have you done? You have no right to lay your hands on her!"

"Are you implying that I have forced her? My, my, Damian. How little you think of me. Might I remind you that Emelia is her own person and can very much make her own decisions?"

"There's no way on earth she would willingly come to you. Not unless you had something on her. She's a smart woman."

Alexi grabbed Damian's hands and ripped them off of him, "I am not a man who would stoop so low as to blackmail a woman. I am warning you, Duke, to watch your words."

"I shall watch my words if you can watch your hands. She is not your woman."

"Nor am I yours." Emelia snapped. Both men turned to her. "Now would you just go?" She asked Damian.

"Me? Why must I leave?"

"Because I willingly came in here with Alexi and you have no right to stop me." She almost screamed at his face. "You came in and ruined everything!"

"I ruined everything?! Rose," he grasped her shoulders, "what are you talking about? Did you...did he..." Damian couldn't finish his words because things were happening so fast. "What have you done?"

"Let her go." Alexi tried to pry his hands off from Em but he was not letting go.

"Answer me, Rose. Answer me. Why are you with him? Are you that insensitive to rub this in my face? That because you lost your feelings for me, you'd go for the first man you've landed your eyes on?" He kept shaking her.

"Enough!" She yelled and Damian finally let her go. "This is not about you, it was never about you. I do not have to explain anything to you."

"The hell you do! I..." he took a deep breath, "I loved you first. This man is nothing but a stranger to you. How did you even meet? I, at least, deserve some explanation here."

"You cannot keep intruding in my life and use that excuse." She took a deep breath and decided to just spit out the truth. "Nothing happened between Alexi and I. There, I said it. Now, would you please leave, Damian?"

He tried to reach for her again but Alexi was quick enough to block him. "I believe the lady asked you to leave."

"B-but.."

"...voices coming from here."

They all stopped as another presence sounded from the behind the door.

"Open it then, before those men come back." Said another voice. "She had to lure them away so we could pass through. Now hurry and open it."

Dear lord.

It may be a group of women coming right in. What should they do? Em looked at Alexi but he was staring at Damian who was as confused as they were.

"Scream." Alexi said.

"What?"

"Scream Em."

And scream she did. The door burst open and Alexi flung Damian off of her. There was a collective gasp from the intruding women. They all watched as Damian was thrown down the carpet and saw Alexi towered above him.

"That's the Duke!" Said a brunette who ran towards Damian's rescue. "Your grace, are you alright?"

"What in the heavens is happening here?" Asked a blonde lady. Her eyes threw curious glances between Alexi and Em. "Why is the Duke being attacked? Who are you people?!"

The rest of the group hovered over Damian and kept asking if he was hurt. While he just sat there, bewildered.

"Fret not madam. It would seem that the Duke has had too much to drink and had mistaken my good friend as his wife." Alexi said calmly. "I was merely rescuing her from a potential....ruin."

More gasps were heard.

"The Duke tried to seduce another woman?"

"Where is his wife anyways?"

"And who is she?"

"I thought there was something else here. That woman said so-"

"Silence!" Damian snapped. He touched his head and felt the pain coming back. What must he do to escape these people? "There has been a grave misunderstanding, that is all. I meant the lady no harm. I greatly apologize."

"See? He must have sobered up now that he remembers the events." Alexi commented.

The women murmured amongst themselves and had somehow helped Damian back to his feet. He whispered his gratitude and carefully shook their hands off him. Darn these married and widowed women. They find him cornered and they couldn't even keep their hands to themselves. He tried not to shiver from their touch.

He then raised his eyes and looked at Alexi, "I apologize for what I did. I shouldn't have drank too much."

Alexi smiled his public smile then took Em's hand. "My lady, he asks for your forgiveness."

The women hushed down and stared at her. All their eyes were curious who could cause such ruckus. But because the room was poorly lit they could barely make out her features.

Nonetheless, Em tried her best to look calm. "Apology accepted, your grace."

Damian nodded slowly, his spirit utterly defeated.

"Well now that is settled, I hope you could all forget what happened here." Alexi said. "After all, lovely ladies such as yourselves ought not to speak of such events."

Their eyes lit up by the word "lovely". Someone murmured how the room had gotten warmer and someone else was rambling how she would not tell a soul about everything. The others seemed to agree. They knew if anything were to leak outside they would face the Duke's wrath.

"I am glad we all agree." Alexi said and dragged Em out of the room.
***

Once out of earshot, Em and Alexi sprung into a run and quickly made their way towards the ballroom. They paused when they reached the hallway.

"That went better than expected." Alexi said while fixing his cravat.

"How is that better?"

"Well, for one, we saved you from Stanley and a possible scandal. The latter which we planned."

Em sighed, "I am forever indebted to you for saving me from that monster. But I hate that Damian got dragged into it."

"Would you prefer our plan had worked? For you to be compromised because of me?"

"Hush!" She looked around. Thankfully there was no one close by. "The plan was to appear as if I was about to be ruined. Not to be exactly ruined."

"Ah, of course. My bad, for a moment I had hoped you wished to shackle me down." Alexi smirked. "Thank goodness for Miss Pritchard bringing in those matrons."

"This is no laughing matter, Alexi. But yes, I ought to thank Evangeline for what she did. Mayhap I could send her flowers or buy something expensive."

"The worse has passed, Em. Try and breathe. You are safe now. Those ladies would never reveal anything, not directly perhaps. By tomorrow, that pervert shall never show his face to you or anyone in this kingdom."

She grabbed his arm, "You promised not to harm him."

"Correction, I promised not to murder him. Harm is a totally different thing."

"But Alexi-"

"Ahh, if it isn't Prince Ylsien I see up ahead." He interrupted her. "Have I told you we were good friends?" He linked Em's hand on his arm and guided her towards the table that the important guests have occupied. She gulped down her protests as he glided amongst the crowd. All the while, the dancers and pretty much every one else was eyeing them.

Em had no choice but to smile politely. She let Alexi drag her in front of the visiting royalty.

"A lovely evening, Prince Ylsien." Alexi bowed and Em abruptly did the same.

Ylsien's face lit up, "Marcus? Is that you my friend? Rise, rise both of you."

"It is, I. Long time no see."

"Ahh, isn't this just wonderful. Not only am I enjoying the ball, I also happen to meet you." He raised his glass. "The gods must be so generous tonight."

"Are they not always?" He replied.

Ylsien laughed and turned to Em, "And who might this lovely lady be?"

"This is a good friend of mine, Emelia Roderick." Alexi presented her.

"Pleased to meet you, your majesty."

"Pleasure is mine, Miss Roderick. However did my friend get so lucky and snatched you?" Ylsien jested. "He always gets the lovely ones. That is just unfair."

"You are most generous, your majesty. I do not believe I could compare myself to any of these ladies here. They are all so lovely and rich."

"Lovely and rich? Humph, point one to me right now. Because I haven't seen anyone just yet." Then he laughed loudly. Suddenly, the second prince appeared more manly instead of looking like a boy.

"Ylsien, I believe Emelia is very modest. Because she is not a lady, she thinks she is nothing next to them." Alexi joined in.

"I assure you this Miss Roderick, you are very much of a competition like the rest of them. If I were a lady, I'd be threatened to see you in the same ball. Specially in the arms of another prince."

Em's smile faltered. Ylsien just revealed what Alexi was. She looked around and like her, the others who were sharing the prince's table were shocked. Did he just said what they thought he said?

"Another prince?" Asked Count Mondiego.

"Well yes, my friend here is the crown prince of Habsburg, Alexi Marcus Fredericks."

The nearby guests began to talk amongst themselves. It would seem that no one had told them a visiting royalty was also in attendance. It was news!

Em wanted to melt right then and there. She never thought this much attention could be so suffocating.

Alexi noticed her discomfort and had excused themselves. He gave his friend a look and Ylsien caught on. Immediately, he engaged the guests into another conversation and veered their attention away from the departing couple.
***

"Dance with me."

"I don't think I can."

"One dance, Em. Or else they shall never leave you alone."  Alexi insisted.

"How can a dance fix that?"

"It won't. But it shall distract everyone from other things. Ylsien shall make up a story why I refused to be named, meanwhile, we need to put on an entertainment. We planned to give them a scandal, I don't see why we should stop now." He gave her his hand and she couldn't come up with an excuse to refuse. They went towards the center of the ballroom.

"This is getting out of hand, Alexi." Em whispered as she stood closer to him. "Now your secret is out. I feel bad."

"Calm down. We shall survive, Em. I can live with my disguise uncovered. Though I cannot deny I loved the freedom it gave me, no matter how temporary it was. But people are bound to know any time soon, I just did not expect it was this soon."

Em sighed as the music started, "I owe you so much. You saved me twice tonight."

"I always wanted to get revenge on Stanley so consider that a free labor from a friend."

"And what about that impromtu fight with Damian? Do I owe you on that one?"

"Hmm...since that was an alternative and it went well, no, better than expected, mayhap we could let it slip. We both benefited from it."

"I have benefited because my reputation was saved, in the most heroic way possible. We never have to fake a scandal. But what of you? What did you gain from that?"

Alexi was quite as they were moving faster on the dance floor but she could tell he was simply thinking. The dance has ended and Alexi walked her back towards Lucille but he hasn't said a thing.

The dowager was smiling at her, "Rose child. You look wonderful just now." Then her eyes darted towards Alexi, "Your majesty, it is wonderful to have stumbled upon you here."

He took Lucille's extended hand and planted a kiss, "I can say the same thing, my lady. Perhaps fate could not keep me away from Miss Roderick."

"I would like to believe as well. You two looked seemingly magnificent together. Were they not, dear husband?"

Vincent merely nodded. He must be wondering how his wife's companion met the foreign prince. Everyone knew how secretive Alexi could be.

"I hope I have not overstepped, my lady. Miss Roderick had been with me all this time, I know that most improper as she was without a chaperone. But we were within the sights of anyone, you can rest assured we have not been alone together." Alexi said.

"I agree..." Vincent croaked, "the season have just began and we do not wish to tarnish your name. Even if you had authority over those below you, Miss Roderick ought to have remembered her place as well. It is never proper to be with a gentleman for a long period of time. Her mistress had been worried sick where she was."

Em gulped down. How could she tell them where she was all this time? So much have happened and she terrified of Vincent.

"Ohh, Vincent. That is fine. I can live without Rose tailing my every move, how fragile do you think I am?" Lucille intervened. "I believe I gave her permission to entertain the names on her dance card, have I not, child?"

"Y-yes, my lady. You most certainly have."

"But still-"

"I take full responsibility, my lord." Alexi snapped. "Emelia was merely being polite and had greatly entertained me with her quick wit. It is something a lot of women lack. I believe we lost track of time as we were talking. So, please, forgive her."

Vincent was taken aback. This lowly servant had impressed the prince? Just who exactly was she?

"Of course we forgive her, your majesty." Lucille smiled at him. "But I must excuse ourselves now. It is quite time for us to head home."

"Ah, yes. It is rather late. I shall walk you out the door, my lady." And he offered his arm to Lucille.

"How gracious of you, your majesty." She replied and had linked her arms with his. "Rose, do fetch our wraps and meet us outside, hmm?"

"At once, my lady."

She curtsied at them and lifted her skirts. Curious eyes have followed her but no one dared to approach her much to her relief. Em found a servant and have asked for their wraps when she came upon Dathan.

"Dathan , where have you been? Do you know we are leaving soon?" She asked.

His blue-green eyes looked empty and cold. He also wore a forlorn look.

"I could you ask you the same, Em. Where were you since Gideon took you to dance?"

"Well, I...I had some fainting spell. I was resting on one of the upstairs room." She lied. Oh, how she hated lying specially to him.

Dathan pursed his lips and nodded. A servant came running and handed their wraps. He took his own and slipped it on without any help. After that, he turned and did not even offered Em to walk together. What on earth happened to him?

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

3.1K 132 20
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...
1.4K 115 20
"They think I am just some princess they can control. That they can just order me what to do and have it done! I'm not a servant." Princess Emmalyne...
1.9K 85 14
When Enid Jones a straight A student and a perfect Islamic daughter any parent would wish to have, won a scholarship to the prestigious Montrose Acad...
255 27 14
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...