One Broken Legacy

Por Charlie-Duke

The world is divided, the supernatural and humans. Alexis has to decide who she will be in this world as the... Más

Welcome Readers
Chapter 1: One down, infinity to go
Chapter 3: The New Kid and The Outcast
Chapter 4: Town and Terror
Chapter 5: The Stinking Club
Chapter 6: Ducking Out and Planning Ahead
Chapter 7: Night-Time Trips
Chapter 8: Old Flames at Night
Chapter 9: Introductions and Deductions
Chapter 10: Nightly Encounters
Chapter 11: The Station and Secrecy
Chapter 12: Falling Apart and Coming Together
Chapter 13: Dawn Discussions
Chapter 14: Atrocious Assembly
Chapter 15: Explanations and Confessions
Chapter 16: Follow-Ups and Advice
Chapter 17: The Witness in the Park
Chapter 18: Returning Home
Chapter 19: The Gathering
Chapter 20: Little Girl in the Library
Chapter 21: Home is not a Place
Chapter 22: New Beginnings and New Family
Chapter 23: Claims and Content
Chapter 24: Cassey and Kiri
Chapter 25: Mob Mentality
Chapter 26: Trips Down Memory Lane
Chapter 27: Rainy Nights
Chapter 28: Among the Cypress and Roses
Chapter 29: The Morning Everything Changed
Chapter 30: Burial
Chapter 31: Do you have a death wish?
Chapter 32: Coffee and Salt
Chapter 33: Recovery
Chapter 34: A Future for All
Chapter 35: My Garden on the Moon

Chapter 2: Come Hell or High School

63 7 2
Por Charlie-Duke

The school looked like a prison. The front gates of the estate reminded me of the jaws of a dragon. Thick, steel stakes with hedges between separated the upper-class houses from the grounds. Camera's replaced security, the devices mounted every few feet. Any sneaking out would have to be unconventional.

"There is an option for high schoolers to take classes at the university that shares the grounds, but I don't think that would be a good idea," my uncle said as we pulled into a parking spot. "You will stay in the high school dorms; the co-ed ones Nick will be in."

"Will my classes match his?"

"To the best of my ability, yes. You will shadow him as much as possible and I expect you to do your best."

"I will." My legs burned as we ascended the steps. The file found its way into my jacket, hidden away. "Where are we going?"

Paintings and awards hung on the walls, the school flag on display at every turn. It looked like a typical high school, but with an obvious shine of wealth.

"The principal wishes to meet you. We are operating under a potential exchange program with the Finnigan Educations Institute. You will be our representative, which will give you more freedom on campus. This also means you will have the eyes of the instructors on you."

"Is there anything I should know about the fake school? Anything they might ask?"

"Nothing. Keep answers short. If you're ever in doubt, pretend it's The Morill Academy. Superficial details only."

I grew up in an academic environment. The academy that shared the first floor of my home was like any school, but the courses were geared toward supernatural students. Twin Trees just had humans.

I tied my hair back as we finished the walk. I didn't look preppy with blue jeans and a spring jacket. Trying to appear presentable could go a long way.

Uncle Finn tapped on the glass, the sound ringing in the room beyond. Heels on hardwood followed and the door opened to reveal a breathtaking woman. Her auburn curls were wound perfectly, falling onto her checkered dress and making her appear taller.

"Mr. Smith, Mrs. Smith." The principal regarded us with narrowed eyes. "I'm pleased to see you. Come in."

Lavish in its decoration, the room was filled with novels and textbooks perpendicular to a large desk. Rich brown walls produced a warm atmosphere, and I could see myself curling up in one of the overly large chairs with a book and box of chocolates.

"I'm Mrs. Harris, the principal of Twin Trees High School." She gave us each a firm handshake before sitting down and gesturing for us to do the same. "Have you had a chance to look around the campus?"

"I looked around before bringing my niece. Your school appears to be a fine establishment and I look forward to a future partnership," Uncle Finn laid it on thick and Mrs. Harris ate it up.

"I'm pleased to hear that," she cooed. "Not to rush either of you, but we do have some paperwork to fill out if Mrs. Smith wants to attend class tomorrow."

From the desk, she drew out a stack of papers. Unlike the small packets on her desk, these contracts were lofty.

"I noticed you had rather strict terms regarding creatures other than human. Could you explain them to me and my niece?"

Mrs. Harris had the decency to look anxious. Some humans could sense there was something powerful about my uncle. Mrs. Harris seemed to be one of them.

"A large percentage of our parents and faculty are uncomfortable with the thought of their children attending school with a Coth. To make them feel more secure, we ask all supernatural students to identify themselves."

I stifled a frown. This was nothing new. Their rules were similar to the laws that permitted discrimination based on species.

"I don't see why we can't handle that before I leave, right Alexandra?" I wrinkled my nose. Alexandra had to be the worst alias I'd ever used.

"Yes, Uncle. I wouldn't want to miss a day of class." My voice was coated with sugar, earning me a look from him.

The principle beamed, sliding the contracts across the table.

"Feel free to complete the paperwork while I call for Mrs. Lawrence. She's one of our principal students. She'll show you to your room and will give you the tour tomorrow. I'll give you some time with your uncle so you can say goodbye."

She left us alone, her heel clicks chipper despite the late hour. There must be a large stash of coffee in her office, one that I might have to make use of if the cafeteria didn't provide it.

Uncle Finn passed me the student contract, leaving me to sign my section of the terms and conditions. There was a large, bold section that laid out the usual rules: all supernatural creatures must identify themselves or face expulsion and any supernatural creatures found acting in ways that the average human does not or using unfair advantages as a result of their species will face the school board for punishment.

I signed the paper with no thought. There was no Alexandra Smith. And even if there was, I would be gone before they realized their mistake.

No one should respect a law that doesn't respect them.

"I'm sure she'll be back soon, so I'll make this quick." Uncle spoke, and I tossed the signed contract on the desk, ready for the lecture I knew by heart. "Make sure to keep contact with me, keep your head down, keep your secret, and stay safe."

"Make your family proud," I added with a smile. "I know, Uncle. I will, you'll see. I can do this."

"I know, but I still worry about you."

"Thank you, but I've got this." I attempted to wrap my arms around him, but his position made it awkward. "If everything is going well, I'll try to go to The Gatherings."

"You don't need to, but I would like to see you there." Uncle stood, a formidable figure towering over me. "I'll walk you to the door."

Mrs. Harris knocked on the door when we were halfway there, opening it to reveal a wiry girl. Her eyes followed me from under glasses, lips turning down with every step.

"Mrs. Smith, this is Cassey Lawrence." Mrs. Harris gave Cassey a nudge forward. The girl's heels dug into the carpet.

"It's nice to meet you." My handshake was returned quickly, her manicured hand unsteady. "Do you like the school?"

Cassey nodded, but her eyes immediately went to Mrs. Harris. The girl didn't like me. There were reasons, but none so immediate.

"Why don't you show Alexandra to her room?" Mrs. Harris seemed to notice the tension, but she kept her positive smile plastered on her face. "She must be tired after her trip and you both have school tomorrow."

I was tired, indescribably so. After the last few days, I wanted nothing more than to collapse in a safe room and let my body recuperate.

"Of course, Mrs. Harris," Cassey regarded me with wary eyes before turning and gesturing for me to follow. "Let's go."

"Goodbye, Uncle," I hugged him one more time. Clinging to him always. "I'll see you soon."

"Good luck, Lexi. Everything will work out, I promise." With those words, he turned from me. He hated long or tearful goodbyes, which made them easier.

It made being left easier.

Lockers hugged the walls of wide hallways like soldiers charged with keeping the students inside.

I hated public schools. They wanted students to get good grades in unnecessary classes. My education taught me skills essential for my job as a Morill: science, history, and language. In my spare time, I pursued personal interests and it served me well. I could read dead languages that Uncle himself had taught me and my wide grasp of politics put me in an ideal position for the next family head. If there was any competition.

"How many kids go here? There have to be at least six hundred."

"How many go to your school?" Rather than answer my question, she hissed one of her own. Her blond hair covered her face, but I could almost feel the hostility. It seeped into the hall.

"About two hundred. It's very selective." My dig seemed to work. Cassey's pace sped up, her hands clenched.

Childish satisfaction faded. I grabbed her arm and her muscles tense, "What is your problem with me? I don't think I've done anything to you, so why are you so cold?"

"Sybil." The word from the stationary girl brought chills. I let her arm drop and took a step back, crossing my arms. It was always a good barrier.

"You think I'm a witch?" The question hissed like Cassey's had but for an entirely different reason.

"Well, aren't you? You can't hide it." Cassey turned around, tapping her temple. "Everyone will know."

There was enough known to the general public surrounding Coth traits: vampire pupils, shifters stretch marks that encased their body, and a witch's eyes. They were the only thing we couldn't hide which is why we had guarded these secrets so closely. Nevertheless, they were exposed overtime.

"I'm not a witch. If that's what you're pissed about, not that it would matter if I was."

Cassey leered at me and turned away. She muttered something under her breath, and it didn't take a genius to understand that it was something unpleasant.

I met people like her before: sheltered and misinformed. It went one of two ways; they avoided me, or they tried to harass me. Luckily, I rarely interacted with them. This time was no different. At the least, it would be bearable.

"Here's your room," Cassey said, handing me the key and walking down the hall. "You should be able to find your way to class tomorrow."

I was glad when she stalked off. If she didn't want to lead me around, it suited me. I could ask others. If she left me alone, we'd get along fine.

The room was smaller than I had expected for a snobby place for rich kids; enough space for a quilted twin bed, a desk pushed under the window, and a small couch. It would work.

A loose screen and a ladder that conveniently folded down from the window for fire escapes provided an easy out. Uncle was right, this would be a rather simple mission. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1K 184 36
Someone is planning the death of a missing sorceress. And she can't figure out who's trying to help and who's trying to hurt her. Hopefully she can f...
303K 9.7K 22
A mate, Alexis had always wanted hers. She thought that he would be the kindest person she had ever met. Then she finds her mate and he turns out to...
82 3 18
Tired of all her sufferings, she's a girl who escaped her pack to start over and hopefully find her mate. will she be able to do it? ...
880K 16.1K 66
(FIRST BOOK) Skylar always tries to think that all is as normal as it seems. But there's so much more to it than normal. She have just lost her pare...