Survive The Apocalypse -- Car...

By shadowlady200

Aurora Rhee. She's got the smarts and determination from her father (Glenn), but the sassiness from her mothe... More

Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Cast 2
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Cast 3
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Sequel

Chapter 2

3.6K 68 21
By shadowlady200

===========================♛===========================

I sat eager to know what was happening. Was the boy gonna be alright? Could grandpa save him? I looked up from my seat to see two men walk out of the bedroom the young boy was in. The first man (with the Sherrif gear) sat down in one of our seats while the other leaned on the wall.

"He's stable for now," said the man who was leaning on the wall. He looked over at me, finally noticing me. However, he didn't say anything. The other man with the Sherrif outfit didn't notice me.  

"Lori has to be here, Shane. She has to know," The Sherrif said to the guy, Shane.

"Okay, I get that. I'm gonna handle it. But you've got to handle your end," Shane said carefully.

"My--My end?" The confused Sherrif asked.

"Your end is being here for you son. Even if he didn't need your blood to survive, there is no way I'd ever let you walk out the door. Man, I'd break your legs if you tried. You know that, right?" Shane asked sounding close to crying. The Sheriff looked down at his lap seeming to be in a daze. "If something happened to him and you weren't here. If--If he slipped away while you were gone, you would never forgive yourself for that. And neither would Lori, man."

"You're right," The man agreed with tears streaming down his face.

"When was I ever wrong?" Shane laughed slightly. 

"You know when you were in that hospital, the one you were never supposed to leave, man, you should have seen Lori. She was like...The strength of that woman, you can't imagine it. See that's what you've got to have now. I mean, Carl... He needs that from you. So you wire yourself tight, my friend." This pep talk was sweet. Shane held the unstable man tightly. "You've got the hard part. You just leave the rest to me, okay?"

"Alright," the man nodded.

"Alright," Shane repeated. The two men pulled apart when the door behind them opened. Everybody stood up waiting for the news from grandpa Hershel. 

"He's out of danger for the moment. But I need to remove those remaining fragments," grandpa explained. 

"How? You saw how he was," The man (whose name I had yet to learn) said. Is that what all the screaming was about? The boy, Carl, was getting fragments pulled out of him.

"I know, and that was the shallowest one. I need to go deeper to get the others," grandpa said.

"Oh man," Shane sighed. 

"There's more. His belly's distended, his pressure is dropping-" I put a hand over my mouth and tears gathered in my eyes like a pool. I felt mom pull me closer in an attempt to soothe me. "Which means there's internal bleeding. A fragment must have nicked one of the blood vessels. I have to open him up, find the bleeder and stitch it. And he can't move while I'm in there. I mean, at all. If he reacts the dame as before, I'll sever an artery and he'll be dead in minutes."

"Oh god," I gasped, leaning into mom.

"To even try this, I have to put him under. But if I do, he won't be able to breathe on his own. Same bad results." This was absolutely horrible. 

"What'll it take?" Croaked a teary eyes Sherrif. 

"You need a respirator. What else?" Otis stepped forward.

"The tube that goes with it, extra surgical supplies, drapes, sutures," grandpa Hershel said.

"If you had all that you could save him?" The Sherrif asked. I should really learn his name, but that was the least of my concern. Wow, this had been such a great birthday...

"If I had all that, I could try," Grandpa nodded.

"Nearest hospital went up in flames a month ago," Otis said. It was true, we saw the smoke for almost a week. "The high school.."

"That's what I was thinking. They set up a FEMA shelter there. They would have everything we need," Grandpa agreed.

"Place was overrun last time I saw it. You couldn't get near it. Maybe it's better now," Otis said sadly. I could tell he had no hope in his voice but it was still a thought. 

"I said, leave the rest to me. Is it too late to take that back?" Shane said with a small smirk. His lip tilted upwards but I knew he wasn't crazy happy. 

"I hate you going alone," The Sherrif said with a shake of his head.

"Come on. Doc, why don't you do me a list and draw me a map?" Shane suggested.

"You won't need a map. I'll take you there," Otis suddenly said.

"Otis!" I cried.

"It ain't but five miles," Otis argued.

"Otis, no," Patricia said sternly, appearing in the doorway.

"Honey, we don't have time for guesswork and I'm responsible. I ain't gonna sit here while this fella takes this on alone," Otis protested. 

"It's dangerous," I agreed with Patricia. I wanted my family together for my birthday, but I knew the young boy needs this stuff.

"I'll be alright, Aurora," Otis told me.

"Are you sure about this?" Shane asked. Mom rubbed my arm in an attempt to comfort me.

"Do you even know what any of the stuff he's talking about looks like?" Otis made a good point. 

"Come to think, no." Shane shook his head.

"I've been a volunteer E.M.T. I do. We can talk about this till next Sunday or we could just go do it real quick," Otis said, standing his ground.

"I'll take real quick," Shane said.

"I should thank you," The Sherrif said, red eyes and croaky voice. 

"Wait till that boy of yours is up and around. Then we'll talk. I'll gather some things," Otis said before walking away. I looked up at mom when she removed her arms around me.

"Where is she, you wife?" Mom stepped forward to talk to this man. 

"She's heading back to the highway, should just be a mile or two pst the church to the east," The Sheriff said.

"I'll prepare a horse and go find her," mom said.

"Mom..." I trailed off.

"I'll be alright, darling. It's just a quick run into the woods." Mom turned and smiled at me.

"Just... Be safe. I don't want to lose another parent on my birthday," I sighed. She nodded and walked off with a smile.

"Happy birthday," the Sherrif spoke. I looked up at him with innocent eyes.

"Thanks," I said shortly.

"Rick," the man nodded quietly. 

"Aurora," I said looking down at the ground. 

"Really nice dress," Shane said. 

"Thanks. My daddy got it for me," I nodded sadly. 

"You looked the same age as my son. How old are you turning?" The Sherrif, Rick, asked. 

"She's turning twelve today," Otis chimed in. He had a small bag in his arms. I followed the three, plus grandpa and Patricia, out the door and towards the small blue truck. I stayed on the porch while everybody else walked past me. I knew I looked real pretty standing on the porch, and I'd look even prettier with a smile but I couldn't force myself to smile. It was such a sad moment and I didn't have my mama's comfort. I watched Otis and Patricia hug sadly. A single tear slipped down my face when I watched them drive off.

"He'll be alright, I hope." Patricia patted my shoulder with tears in her eyes. I nodded and walked inside with her. Patricia walked past me and I sat down on the couch. Not really knowing what to do, I stared off into space. With no idea how long I had sat there, I didn't know the time. 

"Rori," I heard grandpa call my name. I snapped out of my trance and looked up at him. "Why don't come wait outside and finish your flower crown."

"Okay," I nodded standing up. I smooth out my dress before following grandpa Hershel outside.

===========================♛===========================

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 66 11
𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖 𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞, 𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙸 𝚖𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝, 𝚍𝚒𝚍 𝚗𝚘𝚝...
67.3K 1.1K 40
{FINISHED} The last thing Keeley Salazar could remember was her parents arguing in the car before they crashed. Now three years have passed and a lo...
68.9K 3.7K 24
In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a girl who happens to be hard...
323K 7.6K 117
Savannah born CJ Jefferson, 33 years of age when the dead rose and the living began to fall. Her father, a former corporal in the army, raised his 2...