His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms

68 2 0
By RaeySam

"An empty room is a story waiting to happen and you are the author."
-Charlotte Moss

⚜️

"The Prince?"

Dathan shook his head, "No. Not our Prince but from a neighboring kingdom."

Marie's brows raised in question, she opened her mouth but shut it back down immediately. It was not her business to pry on her employer.

"I believe we have been away from the fray for too long. You go fetch a hackney and I shall bid my family farewell." He said and tucked the paper inside his pocket. "I shall tell you more, soon."

"Your call boss." She replied and walked away.

"Marie.."

She turned. "Yes?"

He pocketed his hands and sighed, "You did great tonight. Thank you for getting the address for me."

"Sure. But if what you said was true, it may not be the real one, so tonight's mission was a failure."

"No. Well, maybe not entirely." He began to walk next to her, "We'll see if Carter can check the address tomorrow."

She smiled, "That driver of yours would be perfect for the job."

"Unfortunately, I have to agree."
***

Gaming room

"Should we join the others?" Asked Lucille.

Lydia stared at the mantel clock and noted that it was just ten past twelve. The dancing should be at its peak now.

"Perhaps a little dancing would lift you up." Her mother-in-law whispered. "The gaming tables are starting to bore me. What do you say, we find ourselves our own entertainment?"

"I am not certain about the dancing, Mama. People are still wagging their tongues at me. Mayhap, we can grab some sherry?"

Lucille's eyes lit up, "Ohh. Indeed. They have not served the ladies anything stronger than apple juice." She stood up and pulled Lydia from her seat. "Follow me."

They walked silently out the door and as expected, no one batted an eye. The tables were still filled with men eager to win some gold while the women gossiped. Not even Vincent or Damian noticed that their wives have left.

Back into the ballroom, the two ladies giggled at their escape. Their husbands have not seen them leave and it felt mischievous. Lucille led the way towards the second landing where endless corridors and hallways welcomed them.

"My god, this place is enormous." Lydia said. "I could get lost in here."

"Ahh, yes. My parents told me that Allerdale Hall used to be a castle but it burned down and only this part survived. The new Duchess was very rich and had helped repair most parts of the place."

They kept walking with no servants bumping into them. Lucille seemed to be familiar with the turns and not once had she hesitated where to go.

"The family library had bottles of brandy and other delicious liquors. We can stay there until the wee hours of the morning." Lucille said to her. "Or until they send for us."

"Mama, however will they find us here?"

"Oh shush. They will find us, nothing to fret about. Vincent and I had spent so much time here. The current Duke is a childhood friend of ours and our families had been acquaintances for so long." Lucille finally stopped outside a door, her hand holding the latch. "Come of think of it, I was supposed to be engaged to him instead of Vincent."

"Him?"

"Yes. The current Duke of Ackernetch. He was promised to me and we were supposed to be betrothed when I turn ten. He was two years older than I."

"What happened, Mama?"

"Well, he met his wife. And he insisted that they suit each other more than we did." Lucille smiled, "And I agreed. I'll introduce you to them and you'll understand."

"It sounds like an interesting story, Mama."

"Ohh, it was. I shall tell you more but now let us have some sherry."

They pulled the door open and continued giggling like little girls.
***

After leaving Marie at the garden, Dathan made his way back inside. The music had blasted loudly as he stepped into the ballroom. He wanted to cover his ears but he did not wished to catch anyone's attention.

Now that he had squirmed his way past the crowd, he began his search for his family. He knew his mother would not allow him to leave so soon and his brother may try to convince him to stay. But he didn't wish to. He only had one thing in mind and it did not concern them.

He reached the gaming room where he delivered his brother and sister-in-law. As soon as he opened the door he knew something was wrong. The gaming tables were left unattended and the players were forming a circle on the far end side of the room. His eyes searched for his parents but couldn't spot them. What was happening?

Dathan moved closer and being taller than most men, he could somehow see what was going on ahead. He saw two blonde heads and one brown with strips of gray. He tiptoed and almost doubled over because someone was pushing against him. Darn this crowd.

"What on earth is going on?" He asked one of the men.

One balding guy replied, "Someone threw a punch."

"So there's a fight?" He asked.

"Sort of."

"What do you mean?"

"Just watch." And they heard grunts and incoherent words from both men throwing punches.

"If I may." Dathan tried to squeeze himself past the insistent crowd and finally made progress. He made it to the front and saw the spectacle before him.

His father had taken off his coat, rolled up his sleeves while holding his arms up while sweat dampened his hair and shirt. A few paces from him was his brother, holding their father's coat with his lips pursed. He looked like he did would rather be somewhere else rather than witness whatever was happening.

"What's going on here?" He asked.

Heads turned to him, including his father and brother. But someone else answered him, "Do not interfere young man. This is between us."

Dathan turned towards the voice and recognized the Duke of Ackernetch. Like his father, he had discarded his coat and rolled up his sleeves. A young man stood behind him. The resemblance was obvious, his own son carried his coat and was made to watch his own father fight another man in a crowded room.

"Will someone please tell me what on earth is happening?" He turned to his brother, "Why is father fighting our host?"

Damian shrugged. "It was like this when he tossed his coat at me."

"Why haven't you done anything?" And why has no one tried to stop them? Was the party that boring? He wanted to scream at the guests but knew he couldn't cause a scene, other than the one his father had started.

"You stay quite, son." Vincent said. "And do not even try to stop me."

"Stop you from what—"

Vincent lunged and threw a punch. His opponent was caught off guard and got hit on the stomach. The crowd blanched but no one dared interfere. Duke Ackernetch spat blood and had fallen down his knees.

"I still got it." Vincent said in a victorious voice.

Dathan's jaw dropped. Did his father just punch another man? And won? He stared at Duke Ackernetch and back to his father. "What have you done?"

"Calm down, Dathan. Ben and I were just settling an old argument." Vincent replied, unbothered that he had drawn blood.

"Couldn't you have just settled it like normal civilized men? Must you hurt someone at their own house?"

"Dathan, that's enough." Damian stepped in. He handed his father a kerchief and looked at the guests. "Show's over ladies and gentlemen. If we may have the room please?"

The guests quickly stepped back and scurried off. The gaming tables were totally forgotten and even their drinks were discarded. After a few moments, they were alone.

Duke Ackernetch was getting back up but his knees seemed to buckle down. His son was built thinly with weak skinny arms and legs, could barely lift him up. They struggled to get off the floor but the carpet made them slip.

"Allow me." Dathan pulled the old man up with ease. He then helped him down a settee. It shrunk on his weight but it looked much better than the floor. "Grab your father some ice and perhaps a doctor, too." He said to the young Ackernetch.

The young man nodded and went off.

"Baah. I do not need a doctor."

"You may, my lord. You spat out blood." Dathan replied.

"As I should. I am human and I have blood inside me."

He was confused but he couldn't ask the Duke what he meant because he started coughing painfully. Dathan drew out his own kerchief and handed it to him. The coughing fit continued for some seconds. When their host had finally recovered, he said to Dathan, "Thank you."

He nodded and replied, "I believe my father owes you an apology."

"Me?" Vincent croaked, "Why? He started it."

"Now, now father. It would seem that it is much late to say that. After all, you did punch  Ackernetch in the gut." Damian said. "In front of the guests, if I may add."

"Baah. You boys are never on my side. I am your father, am I not?" But then he gave a half-smile, "Very well, my sincerest apologies Ben. For all its worth."

Duke Ackernetch laughed, "None sense, it is what you said. I started the brawl and look where it got me. I certainly deserve one hit." The said brawl started when he threw a punch at Vincent and missed. He then gestured for the twins to take a seat, which they did in a perfect rhythm. Though they sat the opposite directions, they moved like how shadows or reflections did. "They are most certainly yours, Vince. Two replicas that bear your unfriendly nature. But both good-looking and built just fine." Just then, his own son came back with a bag of ice. "While all I have is this fragile little man. I quite envy you."

"He'll grow into it." Vincent said, it was one thing to punch their host but to give honest remarks on his offspring would be another matter. "Some boys grow later than the others."

The young man gave a sad smile. He was probably ten and five. His face was pale, arms were long and thin while his legs appeared shapely, he seemed to strain standing for long periods of time.

"Well, he is well-mannered and smart. Hence, no problem for us. Which reminds me," he glanced at the twins, "you two were always the menace. There was not a day that a harmless incident occurred in your house." To this, the twins pursed their lips. There had been days when they had wrecked havoc upon the manor. Duke Ackernetch was teasing them and was doing a great job at it. "I always wonder how you and dear old Lucy had managed all these years."

"Lucy?" The twins chorused.

Vincent's face grimaced, "Do not call her that. No one calls her that anymore."

"That was because, I made up that pet name for her. And I, alone calls her that."

"And she is no longer the wee little girl you've used to play with. She is a grown-up woman who does not answer to pet names."

"Are you certain that she does not answer to it, anymore?" Duke Ackernetch asked in a challenging manner. "You do remember...we met first."

"I did not forget, Ben. Which is why I am certain of what she would or would not do."

"I beg your pardon, father. Who are you talking about?" Damian asked.

But they ignored him.

"She used to be fond me, eh? And I adored her, back. We were inseparable."

"You were young, of course she would be fond of you. You were the brother she never had and she, a sister you never had. But that is no longer the case. Her affections have been turned to someone else. And mind you, it has been that way for a very long time." Vincent replied.

"Should we put it to a test, then?"

"Who are you talking about?" This time, it was Dathan who asked. But like his brother, no one answered him.

"Is one punch not enough for you, old man?" Vincent asked.

"Who are you calling old?" Duke Ackernetch laughed, "I am merely two years older than you are, Vince."

"Two years is two years, Ben. You are old. Now, drop this none sense. You used to be the funny chap but these days, you simply irk me. Even if I would lunge for you again, our sons will never let it happen."

"Mine can step back, won't you Anthony?"

"If you say so, father."

"Stop." Dathan said to Anthony, "Stay where you are and you," he turned to Vincent, "no more fighting."

"You dare order your father?"

"I simply implore you to not do anything stupid."

Duke Ackernetch sniggered, "Perhaps you ought to listen to your son."

"Says the man who coughed up blood. And all I did was one punch! One!" Vincent exclaimed.

"I may just be warming up."

"Why you—"

"That's quite enough. Both of you." Damian said. "You've caused a scene and by the morrow, your faces will be the center of the gossip section. All for what? A lousy brawl?"

"If I had hit your father, it wouldn't be a lousy one. But he dodged just in time." Duke Ackernetch said.

"If you had not thrown that aimless punch, I wouldn't have fought back. All I did was return the favor." Vincent replied. "It was not my fault you do not know how to dodge. I cannot imagine you'd want me to let it slip."

"Perhaps, you ought to have done that, father. Now, everyone shall be talking about how you disrespected our host." Damian sighed. "Mayhap, we can settle this matter with words?"

"I believe your father would not want that. Settling arguments over fists is our way of living." Duke Ackernetch replied. "That is why, I came unto him."

"The very same reason that I reacted the way I did."

"Which was unnecessary! Or could you have done it some place else? Must it be here, in the gaming rooms? Brother, tell him. He listens to you, you are the sensible one." Dathan  said to his twin.

"I agree with him, father. We were guests in this party and you attacked our host. In the eyes of men it may look like a simple brawl but the others may not see it that way. Right now, the tongues are wagging outside that door. Whatever shall we tell mother?"

"And why were you even brawling in the first place?" Dathan interrupted.

"Just an old argument." Duke Ackernetch replied.

"Will you ever tell us?"

"Probably not."

Silence reigned for a moment. They could feel no one wanted to concede.

"Very well, seeing that there won't be any fist fights now, I shall be on my way."

"So soon brother?" Damian asked.

"Oh, let him be." Vincent said, unrolling his sleeves. "Your brother is not bound by the rules like you and I. He can do very well whatever it is he wants."

"No one can make it sound so degrading yet welcoming at the same time than you do, father." Dathan said. "Makes me want to raise a toast to you and your unbelievable ego."

"What?!" Vincent roared.

"Dathan, do not forget you talking to our father."

Dathan merely shrugged, "You ought to grace the dance floor with your wife at least with two dances. Now, if I may, I bid you all a good evening."

With that he left and closed the door silently.

"Perhaps, it is best to take our leave as well." Damian said.

"I quite agree." He put on his coat back and managed to straighten his cravat in place. "Now, where are the ladies?"
***

"Do you suppose we ought to return now?" Evangeline asked.

The mantle clock gazed at them both, reminding them of the limited time they have left. Soon, their mistresses would require for their services once more.

"A few more minutes won't hurt." Em replied, "We could be in trouble should they learn we have been out drinking."

Evangeline giggled, "I am certain my lady would sermon me till morning. I rarely have brandy."

"Here, have some water. That ought to cool you down. Or we could hope it would."

"I do feel quite...warm."

Em looked back at the windows, she opened them to get some breeze inside but there was none but occasional drafts.

"Can you walk?" Em asked her. "The garden should be cooler than here."

"Well, if we can make it back before they start looking for us, I suppose we could."

They tidied up and prepared to leave when they heard a knock. Both ladies stared at each other, who might it be?

"Let me." Em offered and went to the door.

The knocking came again and before Em could pull it open the door cracked and she saw the intruder peer inside.

"Em?"

"D-damian...uh, I mean...my lord." She glanced back and made sure Evangeline was out of earshot. She whispered back. "What brings you here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." He looked around but he seemed to be alone on that hallway. "I had not realized this room was occupied. Have I interrupted something?"

"No, you have not. We were just on our way out."

"We?" He tried to look inside but she blocked his view. "Are you with a man in there, Em?"

She gasped in horror, "Whyever would you think of that?"

"Who else would you be with at this hour? I assumed you have moved on after you left me. Well? Who is it this time?"

"I would rather not answer you seeing that you are not quite yourself. It seems that you have already judged me, I believe it is best you know nothing for now. So, would you please leave, my lord?"

But Damian wasn't dissuaded easily, the thought of Em being alone with another man had stirred jealousy in him. "Open the door, Em."

"No. I will not." She tried pushing it back but he held it with both hands. She struggled to keep it close but he was much stronger, the door was soon thrown wide open. Em had to step back least she fell down.

Damian strode inside the room and surveyed every nook and cranny. His eyes landed on a familiar figure.

"Why is Lydia's maid sleeping in here?"

"Sleeping...?" She followed her gaze and saw that Evangeline has settled down on the settee, eyes closed and her breathing slowing down.

"What happened?" He demanded.

"Calm down, my lord. She is merely asleep. Mayhap, she was tired." She cannot possibly tell him about their drinking session because he would ask why they did it. And what would he do if he learned he was partly the reason why?

"I've seen how hard Miss Pritchard worked, she would never be this tired." He replied, eyes suspicious.

"You say that because you have not seen what servants had to go through all day." She retorted back. "What would you know, my lord? All your life people have served you everything. You know nothing of their fatigue and daily sacrifices just to satisfy your needs."

Damian finally took his eyes off the room and gave her all his attention. It was both good and bad. Good because he may never find the empty bottle they have hidden beside the liquor collection by the shelves and bad because now, she was staring at his blue eyes and knew she was trapped.

"What is that supposed to mean, Em?"

"I...nothing, my lord. Forgive me for speaking so out of line." She summed up all courage and tore her eyes away from him. "I shall look after her, you may send for your carriage or mayhap a hackney to send her home."

"My carriage is at the ready."

"Splendid. Perhaps, if you could give us some room, I shall wake Miss Pritchard."

"You do that. I'll have Lydia escort her down." He walked out and closed the door.

Em let out a sigh of relief. That wasn't so bad. She faced him without feeling all jittery. Perhaps she was getting better.
***

Damian left Em and trudged down the corridor. He knew his way around here since he was a child, he and Dathan used to stay with the  Ackernetch family whenever they visit the city.

Now that the common room was cleared there was only one place his mother and wife may be.

The library door was closed but when he pressed his ears against it, he could hear his mother's voice and his wife's laughter. He was right after all.

He went in and ushered them down.
***

Em managed to wake Evangeline and got her standing up in her wobbly legs. Her cheeks weren't so flushed anymore but her eyes were cast down sleepily. Thankfully, Lydia swopped in and gathered her maid.

She and the new Duchess made no eye contact nor exchanged any words. It was as if she never existed. After they left, Em sat down and waited for a few more minutes before deciding to come down. Surely, her mistress should be ready to leave soon.

She fixed herself one last drink and found sherry in the collection. And there was a cold breeze coming into the room, soon the curtains were flapping against the wind. Em felt that she could finally take a breather. Then there was a knock on the door that stopped midway because it was soon pushed open.

"I was hoping I'd find you here."

"Mister Hans." She turned around and was surprised to see Gideon. "Whatever brings you here?"

"Well, I was worried about you. Where is that lady who you took off with?"

"She had to leave." Her eyes strayed on the half-opened door. The silence was comfortable but she knew they cannot be found here, together. "Perhaps, we ought to join the other guests? We are unchaperoned at the moment."

"Of course. May I escort you back to the ballroom?"

Gideon offered his arm and she gladly took it. They made it down the hallway without running into anyone. They just have to go on one more turn and they could go down the stairs but their path was blocked.

"Sir Gideon."

"Davensport?" He asked, his eyes recognized the man and smiled. "I'd be damned, Damian, I have not seen you in ages."

"And I, you." He returned the smile politely while his eyes followed Gideon's hand who held Em's. "I believe you two are acquainted?"

"Oh, well, yes. Your mother introduced us."

"My mother? Did she now?" He glanced at Em but she wouldn't meet his gaze.

"Indeed. She is your mother's companion. Most lovely and obedient little miss, she is. The Duchess is one lucky woman to have Emelia by her side. Which reminds me, I did see her awhile ago."

"Ah, yes. My mother, now Duchess Dowager, has decided to go home for the night. She sent me to find, Em."

"Is that so? Well, in that case, I shall bid you good night, Emelia." He clicked his heels and gave her hand a kiss.

Em curtsied, "Thank you for escorting me, Mister Hans."

"Always a pleasure. Now, off I go Davensport."

Once he was out of earshot, Damian pulled Em into an adjacent room. It was empty but had enough lighting.

"Mister Hans? What on earth is that?"

"He prefers the name."

Damian scoffed, "Of course he does. Gideon loves role playing then and even now. We all thought he'd end up in a theater one day but his father was a Count and he was his heir, so that can never happen. Do women tend to fall for men who had a sense of...I don't know...mischief?"

She turned away and stared at the open window. "Mister Hans had no mischief in mind. He simply do not wish to be addressed by his father's title. Yet. He is merely a humble man."

"The man is a bloody knight. Did you think he earned it by being humble? Yes, he may not want to acknowledge the title just yet—which is understandable, seeing that the current Count Mondiego is alive and well. But a made up name? Are you serious?" He shook his head in disbelief. "That person is a horrifying swordsman. He's sliced and diced people when necessary."

"Must we argue about his choice of living? Because I do not have all evening to do so. Or are you mad at me?"

"I am not mad at you." But you are so beautiful tonight, he wanted to add yet couldn't find the strength to do so.

"Then, at him?"

"No. I do not believe so."

"Then why have you brought me here? I have seen to Miss Pritchard. Are you not supposed to join them?" She spat back. "I mean, your wife gathered her maid and went away. Your carriage is waiting then?"

"We arrived in separate carriages."

"W-what?"

"It was her idea. And I preferred my privacy."

"I believe I did not ask about your married life decisions, my lord. Nor I am allowed to. If you are not mad at me or at anyone then let us end the conversation here. Perhaps you'd excuse me, I have to attend to your mother." She lifted her skirts and made her way towards the door.

He walked up to her until she was forced to step back. "You know you may speak freely to me, Em. I hate to see you shy away from me. I am only want to ask what is between you and Gideon?"

"There is nothing, my lord."

"I do not believe it."

"And you have every right to think so." She replied sarcastically. "But that is the truth. Now, if I may?"

Em made it past him but after three steps he spoke again, "I know what you intend to do, Em. You wish to use Gideon to make me jealous."

"Your audacity is amazingly unbelievable, my lord."

"Is it? I know Gideon's types, he preferred blondes. Gentries and such. Always have. So it does not make sense why he would be interested in you."

She scoffed and refused to face him, "Because I was just some poor little raven haired maid?"

"I didn't mean it that way...I only...its just..."

"Whatever your next words may be, my lord, I hope you find the right one you were looking for. I must bid you farewell." She hurried out of the room and never looked back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 6.6K 44
Completed ✨👸🏼 Born to the fairy elite, the royal line, next in line to take the crown, a queen to be announced on her next birthday, with her royal...
162K 4.6K 22
Seven years ago, Tristan Knight walked away from the love of his life, Serenity Harris, without a word or a backwards glance. No goodbye. No Dear Joh...
1.4K 115 20
"They think I am just some princess they can control. That they can just order me what to do and have it done! I'm not a servant." Princess Emmalyne...
113K 4.1K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...