π‘Ίπ’˜π’π’“π’… 𝑨𝒓𝒕 π‘Άπ’π’π’Šπ’οΏ½...

Par Guardian_Angel-21

In the year 2022, the VRMMO game "Sword Art Online" trapped 10,000 players in a death game. This is the story... Plus

Chapter 1: Disappointment
Chapter 2: Hidden Log Out
Chapter 3: God of War
Chapter 4: The Way of the Sword
Chapter 5: Swordswoman
Chapter 6: First Dungeon
Chapter 7: Party of 3
Chapter 8: Beater
Chapter 9: BlackSmith
Chapter 10: Act of Kindness
Chapter 11: Night Terrors
Chapter 12: The Fall and Rise of Guilds
Chapter 13: Black Cats
Chapter 14: No Place Like...
Chapter 15: The Trap Room
Chapter 16: Best Gift
Chapter 17: Christmas Renegade
Chapter 18: War and Lightning
Chapter 19: Murder in the Safe Zone
Chapter 21: PinkSmith
Chapter 22: Mission Failed
Chapter 23: Sword Dance of Slayer and Knight
Chapter 24: Giant Goblin
Chapter 25: Duel and Broken Souls
Chapter 26: Love Conquers All
Chapter 27: I Love You [πŸ‹]
Chapter 28: My Heart is Yours
Chapter 29: Edge of Hell's Abyss
Chapter 30: The End of the World
⦇[π•†πšŸπšŽπš›πšπš’πšπšŽ:β„™πš›πš˜πšπš˜πšŒπš˜πš•]⦈
Chapter 31: Another Lifetime
Chapter 32: ALfheim Online
Chapter 33: Goblin Slayer
Chapter 34: Monsters
Chapter 35: Prison Break
Chapter 36: Slay Them All
Chapter 37: Worthy
Chapter 38: A Warrior's Heart
Chapter 39: Memory Lane
Chapter 40: Reunion
Chapter 41: Peace
Untold Tales of Aincrad - 0
Untold Tales of Aincrad - 1
Untold Tales of Aincrad - 2

Chapter 20: Illusionary Avenger

2.5K 75 37
Par Guardian_Angel-21

(A/N): Hey guys, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it.

3rd Person POV

口ㄗモれ工れム

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- March 12, 2024 - 59th Floor - Marten -

The sun rose over the town of Marten, unlike its sister town Danca, Marten is a cloudy city that holds rainy weather while only releasing a light drizzle. After the night of revelation to the rapier-wielding swordswoman, the duo meets up with Yoruko at a restaurant near the church, where Kains was murdered.

The duo sat across the purple-haired girl, the restaurant was empty, with the three being the only ones there.

The girl seemed less depressed than the prior day, but the stress was still visible.

Asuna:....So, Yoruko. Have you ever heard the name Grimlock before?

The girl reacted as if she had seen a ghost, but disappeared as quickly as it came.

Yoruko: Yes. He was a member of the guild that Kains and I were once in.

Ares:.. We had the sword-spear was appraised by a friend, the creator of the sword-spear was Grimlock.

The girl gasped and covered her mouth in horror as her eyes widen.

Ares: Can you think of any reason why that would be?

Yoruko:....Yes, I can. I'm sorry I wasn't able to tell you yesterday. I wanted to forget. It's something I don't really want to remember. However, I'll tell you. What destroyed our guild... Our guild's name was Golden Apple.

Yoruko: Six months ago, a rare monster we defeated dropped a powerful ring that raised agility by 20. We were divided on whether to use it for the guild or sell it and split the earnings. But in the end, we put it by vote. The vote went 5-3 in favor of selling it. Our leader, Griselda, was going to stay overnight at a large town on the front lines, to give it to a broker. However, she never came back. Later, we learned that she'd died. I still don't know why.

Ares: Leaving a safe zone with a rare item like that is foolish, so that option is out of the table.

Asuna: And a sleep PK is still new, doubt anyone withheld information like that six months ago.

Ares: But it's not a coincidence she died, the killer must have known that she had the ring. So in other words..

Yoruko: One of the other seven members of Golden Apple... is the killer.

Asuna: The most suspicious ones would be those who opposed selling it. They must have attacked Griselda before the ring was sold.

Ares: Tell us about Grimlock.

Yoruko: He was Griselda's husband. Just within the game, naturally. Griselda-san was a powerful swordsman. Pretty, and smart. Grimlock was a kind man who was always smiling. They made a great couple, and they got along well. If he was the one responsible for yesterday's murder, he must be after the three who opposed selling the ring. Two of the three were myself and Kains.

Asuna: And the other?

Yoruko: A tank named Schmidt. I've heard he's on the front lines now, with the Holy Dragon Alliance.

Asuna: I remember him, he leads the Holy Dragon Alliance's defense forces. He's a big lance-user.

Ares: I've only seen him a few times while clearing bosses.

Yoruko: Could you let me talk to him? He probably hasn't heard about what occurred. And what happened to Kains could happen to him...

Asuna: I know someone at the Holy Dragon Alliance, we'll get in touch with him.

Ares: Our next move should be returning Yoruko to her inn. Don't leave the inn under any circumstance, understood?

He spoke in a tone as if he was ordering a child, to which she responded with a silent nod.

-TimeSkip-

The drizzle stopped leaving the streets slightly soaked and water dripped from roof tiles. The duo walked through allies between the homes.

Asuna: So how do you think the Kains was killed in the safe zone?

Ares:...I see three possibilities. First, it was a fair duel The second is through an exploit that combines known methods for death.

Asuna: Yeah, I can see that. And the third?

Ares:...On second thought, it will be impossible for the last one.

Asuna: What was it?

Ares: Using some skill or item we don't know about, which bypasses safe areas.

Asuna: Ah, I see why it's now impossible. The rules of SAO are equally fair for all players, so allowing a murder in a safe zone will be unfair.

Ares:...Exactly.

-TimeSkip-

The movement of a foot moving up and down continued restless in Yoruko's inn room. After arriving at the Holy Dragon Alliance base, they brought Schmitt back to Marten, near the church where the morning discussion took place.

A tank, or shield user in the front lines, Schmitt was a tall male with brown hair that pointed upward towards the back of his head. He wore his dragon alliance armor which made his appearance all the more bigger and intimidating. But his facial expression and physical movements made that disappear.

Currently, Schmitt sat in a seat in front of Yoruko who had her back towards the window and wore a small light blue coat. Asuna stood on the left side of the room while the beater took the other, leaning on a desk.

Schmitt: Is it true that Kains was killed with Grimlock's weapon?

He asked as his index finger rested on his chin. The purple-haired girl nodded at him sadly, as the sun began to lower giving the room a more sunset color.

Yoruko: There is no doubt.

He was visibly frightened about this and stood up quickly.

Schmitt: Why would Kains be killed after all this time?! Unless....Did he steal the ring? Was he the one who killed Griselda? Does Grimlock plan to kill the three of us who opposed selling the ring? Is he after you and me, too?!

He sat down and leaned on his hand, all of this information was too much and was stressing him out.

Yoruko: It could be another member, and Grimlock just made them the spear. Or perhaps it may be Griselda's revenge...

The wind started to take up, as the window behind the girl was open, moving the red curtains slightly. Her final words caught the attention of the tank.

Yoruko: Only a ghost could kill someone inside a safe zone.

This baffled the tank as he was lost for words. The duo turn to them, also surprised that this idea appeared out of nowhere.

Yoruko: I stayed awake all last night, thinking...

She stood up and had a crazed look on her face as her eyes widen.

Yoruko: In the end, all of us were the ones who killed her! When that ring dropped, we shouldn't have ever voted... We should've just done what she wanted!

She spoke as if she was possessed, but quickly calmed down and sat at the frame of the window.

Yoruko: Grimlock was the only one who said we should simply let Griselda decide. So he has the right to take revenge for Griselda on the rest of us.

She spoke softly, the unnerving thing was her froze-like face. The tank before her was shaking in fear and was visible trying to keep his cool.

Schmitt: You're kidding me. You're kidding me... After all this time, six whole months... Why now?

He said as he places his armored hands on his face, he quickly stood up and shouted at the purple-haired female player.

Schmitt: You're okay with this, Yoruko? You're okay with being killed like this?

He was about to move forward but was stopped by the other armored player. Before anyone could say or do anything, the sudden movement by the purple-haired player caught their attention. She slightly slumped to the right to reveal the dagger that was stabbed in her back.

She began to fall and slid out the window, the beater ran after her in an attempt to catch her but he was too late.

Ares: Yoruko!

He watched as her body hit the ground and exploded into crystals as the dagger that impaled her dropped to the floor below. He slammed his fist onto the window frame in frustration. He looked around to see where the dagger was thrown by, he sees a dark cloaked figure on a rooftop across the street.

Ares: Asuna, keep an eye on Schmitt!

He said as he climbed up the frame and jumped through the air to the other rooftop as the figure began to run away.

Asuna: Wait!

Her cries fell on deaf ears as the armored player continued to jump swiftly through rooftops. His opponent continued to run and jumped at the same speed. The beater may wear a whole set of armor that covered his body from head to toe, his strength and speed parameters were high enough to make it feel like normal clothing.

The black figure threw nail arrows at the beater in an attempt to slow him down, but they were deflected by his shield. The God of War was able to see that the culprit pulled out a teleportation crystal, if he lost him now then he was good as gone.

As a last-minute effort, he threw his southern-style throwing knife at the figure, only for the church bells to ring and have the figure disappear in a blue light.

He stopped running and let out a heavy sigh of frustration.

-TimeSkip-

The door opened to the inn room and the armored player walked through.

Asuna: What happen? Did you catch him?

Ares:....He got away with a teleport crystal. He could be anywhere now.

He saw that Schmitt was shaking with his hands on the side of his head as he looked to the floor.

Asuna: *Sigh* The system protects the inns. I was certain she'd be safe here.

Schmitt: That robe was Griselda's.

This made the two players turn to him.

Schmitt: She's come for revenge on us all! Only a ghost can PK in a safe zone.

He began to cry and laugh as he knew that the next victim will be him.

Ares: That was no ghost. Why would a ghost have to teleport away?... But I can't see how this could be possible.

The armored player tightens his fist as he held onto the dagger that killed Yoruko. The swordswoman looked at him, worried that he was beginning to blame himself.

-TimeSkip-

Outside the inn sat the beater and lightning flash players on a bench. The swordsman sat up straight and looked directly in front of him. He was being silent and motionless, this slightly worried his partner as she tried to start up a conversation.

Asuna:...So, do you think it could have really been Griselda's ghost?

Ares:....No.

Asuna:...Well, ghosts do exist in this game, like on floor 15.

Ares:...Those are mobs, they are programmed to be like that. People don't turn into ghosts in SAO....Besides, a murder like this would already be heard of.

Asuna: Oh, I see....So, what do we do now?

Ares:....We wait.

Asuna: For what exactly?

He remained quiet and the girl took the hint that he will reveal it to her later. She thought back to Yoruko, the poor girl was just another person like her. Stuck in a world she didn't choose to be in, just like everyone else. All these emotions made the girl realize that she hasn't eaten yet. She opened her menu and pulled out a packed lunch. She turns and hands it to the swordsman, who took it after a couple of seconds.

Ares: Thank you.

Asuna: You're welcome. Its durability is nearly at zero, so you should eat up before it disappears.

He removed a small chin piece from his mask and took a bite from the sandwich provided by the swordswoman.

Ares:...I see you have been practicing.

Asuna: Yes, I have. I've also been going to the library to pick up culinary books to strengthen my cooking skill. I also have-

Before she could say anymore, the swordsman let the wrapped sandwich fall to the ground. She looked in shock and confusion at the swordsman who only watched the sandwich turn into crystals and disappear. After a second he turned and looked at her as if he didn't do anything wrong.

Asuna:.......What was that for?!

She screamed, she had worked hard on finding the right ingredients to make the food takes like a meal from the real world, and to see it dropped on the floor on purpose made her angry. But since it was her crush that committed the act, she didn't act on impulse. If it was done by anyone else, for example, Kirito, she would have released he'll upon him.

Ares: Testing a theory.

Asuna:..What are you talking about?!

Ares:...Yoruko and Kains are alive.

Now she was confused. Was his helmet squeezing his head too hard?

Asuna: What are you talking about? And why did you do that?

Ares:.....You said its durability was almost at zero right?

Asuna: What of it?

Ares: The way it disappeared, almost looks like the effect when someone dies.

Asuna:....Go on.

Ares: The person we saw on the roof got away with a teleport crystal. If you combine the depletion of an item, like armor, and use a teleport crystal at the right time...

Asuna: Then it would appear like a player's death. Was that what you were waiting for?

Ares: Yes. I want need to know how they faked it so well.

Asuna: Wait... You knew they were alive? How?

Ares: We both friended Yoruko, her player ID is still active and we can track her.

Asuna: Since when have you known this? That they were lying about their death.

Ares: Since we met Yoruko. I studied her body language, she's a good actor, I'll give her that, but she was lying from the spot.

Asuna: But why would Yoruko and Kains fake their death?

Ares:....They had a hunch on who was the one that got Griselda killed. They were trying to trick the suspect using the story that Griselda's ghost was killing off the ones that voted to not sell the ring out of revenge. Once they were convincing enough, the suspect would admit to his crimes and that is when they would show themselves. An illusionary avenger.

Asuna: How did you-

Ares: I also studied criminology for half a year, but never thought it would useful here.

Asuna:... So what now.

Ares:.... Let's go eat dinner.

- TimeSkip - 19th Floor - Cross Hill -

On the foggy 19th floor, the Holy Dragon Alliance tank stood before a large dead tree, in between him and the tree was a tombstone that read Griselda's name.

He fell to his knees and bowed his head as tears ran down his face.

Schmitt: Griselda. The only way I can survive is with your forgiveness. I'm sorry... I'm so sorry! Forgive me, Griselda! I never imagined this would happen!

???: Really?

???: Really?

???: Really?

???: Really?

The voice echoed throughout the foggy forest as he looked around for the source of the female voice. He felt a presence behind him, when he turned around he saw a small brown-haired rabbit. He sighed in relief but when he turned back to face the tombstone, there stood a cloaked figure with the hood covering its face.

He covered his mouth with his hands to stop the scream from releasing.

???: Tell me Schmitt. What did you do to me, Schmitt? What did you do?

The figure pulled out a blade from underneath its cloak that appeared to be similar to the sword-spear. He quickly bowed his head until it touched the floor.

Schmitt: I... I only... The day we decided to sell the ring, a note and crystal just appeared in my belt pouch, and the note told me to...

???: Who told you? Who told you to?

He looks up to see another cloaked player hover near the first.

Schmitt: Grimlock? You're dead, too?

???: Who? Who gave you these orders?

Schmitt: I-I honestly don't know! The note just said to bind the crystal to the room where she was staying, so they could enter, and then to put the crystal in the guild's shared storage...

???: And?

Schmitt: That was all I did! I never meant to get her killed. Believe me... Please!

The fog began to slowly disappear and the tank continued to cry on his knees.

Yoruko: We recorded all of that, Schmitt.

He looks up to see Kains and Yoruko with their hoods removed.

Schmitt: R-Recorded? So that's how it is. You cared that much about Griselda.

Kains: You didn't hate her, either, did you?

Schmitt: O-Of course not... Believe me! True... The rare weapon I bought let me clear the Holy Dragon Alliance's entry requirements, but...

Before he could continue, a flash made him fall forward. Once lying on the floor, he sees a dagger impaled into his right shoulder. He tries to move but is unable to. He looks at his health bar to see a small lightning bolt icon.

Schmitt: Paralysis?

Johnny Black: One down!

A cloaked figure crotches in front of him, Yoruko and Kains try to intervene but see a blade pointed at them by a second figure. Schmitt looks up to see their icon yellow.

Schmitt: No way..

PoH: This is a big catch. A Holy Dragon Alliance leader.

Says the third figure that appears.

Schmitt: Laughing coffin, the murder guild.

PoH: Now then, what shall we play?

Johnny Black: Let's do that one thing, boss... The game where they kill each other, and only the winner survives!

PoH: Last time we did that, you killed the survivor anyway.

Johnny Black: Oh come on boss! You spoiled it! It's no fun if they know they are gonna die.

PoH: Anyway, let's get this show started.

He walks up to a lying Schmitt and raises his square-looking blade. Schmitt closes his eyes and waits for the impact as it begins to swing down.

The sound of a running horse stops the blade halfway. They turn to see a brown horse running towards them from behind Schmitt. It gets closer and just behind Schmitt, it gets onto its two back feet and neighs loudly. Riding the animal is the armored beater. He hops off and slaps the back of the horse, causing it to ride back in the direction it came. He turns to the group and walks up casually.

Ares: Don't worry you three, the assault team is on its way. These three won't last long.

He pulls out his blade and takes a fighting stance, looking dead in the eyes of the murderous leader. They both look at each other, mainly the cloaked figure trying to see any signs of a lie. After a couple of seconds, the leader snaps his fingers and pulls their blades back.

PoH: Come on...

They began to walk past the armored player who kept his blade out. Once they disappear into the fog, they let their guards down.

Ares: ...Nice to see you two alive.

Yoruko: I planned to apologize, once everything was over. But I can't expect you to believe me.

Schmitt: Ares. Thank you for saving me, but how did you know that those three would attack here?

Ares:... Call it a hunch. Kains, Yoruko, you asked Grimlock to make those two weapons.

Yoruko: At first, he didn't seem willing. He said he wanted to let Griselda rest in peace...

Kains: But when we begged him, he finally forged them for us.

Ares: I'm sorry, but the reason he opposed your plan wasn't for Griselda's sake. He thought of something flashier, like a PK in a safe zone, would attract sufficient attention for someone to take notice... I only realized it thirty minutes ago.

- Thirty Minutes Ago -

Back at Marten, Ares and Asuna sat at the restaurant they did the other day before Kains faked his death.

Asuna: We ended up falling for Yoruko's plot...

Ares:.... I don't mind. It was nice, having something distract you for a while.

Asuna:....Hey.

Ares: Yes?

Asuna: What would you have said when a super-rare item like that dropped between the two of us?

Ares:.....I don't know. In the beta, I was solo so I didn't have to worry about situations like that. But now, I guess whoever got the kill keeps it.

Asuna: Makes sense. In SAO, no one knows what drops for whom unless someone registers it. So if you want to avoid players hoarding, that's the only way. Also because of the system, marriage in this world has meaning. If you marry, your item storage is shared, right? Everything you might have hidden until then... Once you're married, you can't hide it anymore. Shared storage is quite a pragmatic system. But I think it's very romantic, as well.

She says as she slightly blushes, talking about marriage and directly in front of her crush makes her face heat up.

Ares: I see. Practical... Nothing left hidden... Common storage...

Asuna: Yeah, when you're married, you share common storage.

Ares: ...If your spouse dies, what happens to the items?

Asuna: If you are talking about Grimlock and Griselda, then all of the items go to the widow.

Ares: Which would mean the rare ring in Griselda's storage-

Asuna: -is in Grimlock's storage, not in the killer's.

Ares: The ring wasn't stolen. Grimlock has it in his storage.

- The Present -

Kain: Grimlock. He sent that memo? He killed Griselda?

Ares: No, he wouldn't get his hands dirty. Most likely sent a red player and finished the job.

Yoruko: N-No. If he were the murderer, then why would he have helped us?

Ares: You made a mistake.... You told him your whole plan. With you two out of the picture, the entire thing would disappear. He waited for you, all of you to gather, so he could eliminate any suspects.

Schmitt: So that's why the murder guild was here.

Ares: He also must have hired them to kill Griselda too.

So much information made the purple-haired girl began to fall only to get caught by her partner.

Yoruko: That's horrible...

Asuna: Found him.

They turn and see the chestnut-haired swordswoman walking with her rapier out, the tip of it behind a tall pale man with black hair, a large top hat, and black glasses.

Ares: Want more information, ask the man yourself.

Grimlock: It's been a long time, everyone.

Yoruko: Grimlock... Did you... Did you really... Why, Grimlock?

Grimlock:.....

Yoruko: Why did you need the money from the ring so badly that you had to kill Griselda, your own wife!?

Grimlock: Money? Did you say money?

His chuckle made the group slightly tense and uneasy.

Grimlock: It wasn't for the money. I had... I had to kill her... While she was still my wife. She was my wife in the real world, too.

This information shook the group as it wasn't stated before, also it was even more unnerving.

Grimlock: The ideal wife, the perfect wife... Pretty, submissive... We'd never had a single fight. But when we were both trapped in this world, she changed. Only one of us was overcome with fear from being trapped in a death game... Me. She looked so much happier, so much more alive than she had in the real world. I had to accept it... That the Yuuko I loved was gone. Thus... Thus, I decided to forever seal her within my memories here, in this world, where murder is legal... And who could blame me?

Ares:....*Whisper* Was that really the reason?

Grimlock: That's more than reason enough. Someday, you'll understand, detective. When you find love, you'll do anything to keep it.

The forest was quiet, the fog continued to move in the background as the only noise was the gentle wind.

The swordsman had his head hanging low. He raised his right arm to signal the swordswoman to move away. She reluctantly moved, trusting her partner. She moved away and sheathed her weapon.

He slowly moved towards the unarmed player and stopped when he was a foot away. A right hook brought everyone out of their shock.

This surprised the chestnut-haired girl as she had never seen the boy act without reason. She saw the scared look the other players wore. She watches as he gives him a right hook to the stomach, blowing out all the man's air.

The swordsman grabs him by the shoulders and throws him towards the tree, making him crash and land on his butt. The man was about to get back up but was stopped by a foot-stomping on his chest, making him unable to get up. He looks up to see the glowing red-eye from the player as he pulls out his blade and aims it at his face.

Asuna: Ares! Stop!

Ares: You know nothing about love! The love you have for a person never dies! You never loved her!

Asuna: Ares! Don't do this!

Ares: You killed her because you are Selfish! Merciless! Thoughtless! Possessive! Cowardly! And A Greedy Bastard! You are nothing more than a GOBLIN!

He raised his sword as the man's eyes widen in fear. The blade started to make its way but was stopped as the swordsman was shoved strongly. He rolled and quickly got back to his feet with his blade ready to attack.

He looks to see who shoved him, only to find his partner in battle with her rapier drawn at him.

Asuna: Ares, please stop!

Ares:.....Out of my way Asuna.

Asuna: Stop this Ares! You're better than this!

Ares: He needs to pay!

Asuna: He will, but not like this.

Ares: ....Last warning, move aside.

The girl was visibly shaking, why the hell was he acting this way? She didn't want to fight him, she'll do anything else but fight the person she loves. But she has no choice, the person behind her was a killer, but he didn't deserve this.

Taking one deep breath, she grabs her rapier with both hands and looks towards her partner, crush, best friend, and now opponent. She can hear him take a deep breath and look at her with his red eye.

He dashes at her and swings his blade, she counters but before she could make her own move, she has to counter again. The swordsman continues relentlessly, not giving his partner the opportunity to fight back, making her go on the defense. He doesn't want to hurt her too much, so he doesn't activate a sword skill.

She counters and counters and counters until she sees an opening. They both clash at the middle as their blades push one another.

Asuna: Ares please! Stop, I don't want to fight you!

Ares:......

He stays silent, the force on the push lessens, giving her a slight glimpse of hope. But that was stripped from her as she was bashed by the boy's shield. She stays on her feet but goes quite the distance. It will be a second before he charges back in the fight, so she'll take this chance to calm him down.

Asuna: Ares, stop fighting! I know why you're angry but-

Ares: SHUT UP!

She loses her cool at his outrage and he dashes back at her. Seeing no other choice, she begins to fight back. She begins to send multiple strikes so he is playing defense and hiding behind his shield. With his shield being smaller than most, she stabs the arm holding it. He swings with it, only to have it pushed out of his hands. Now she continues her bombardment of strikes making him block every single one.

As she strikes nonstop, she notices how he is moving back and slowing down. She swiftly changes her tactics and gets low, she leg sweeps both of his legs making him fall on his back. He raises his arm and was about to strike, only for his right hand to be sliced off by the swordswoman. If he was in the real world, he would be in excruciating pain, thankfully SAO doesn't allow you to feel pain.

A foot lands on his chest as the tip of the rapier is pointed directly at his face. The girl was panting heavily but continued to stay strong.

Asuna: Yield.

She said more like an order, less of an option. After a couple of seconds, the swordsman saw the look in her eyes, they were one's filled with pain. The pain of having to fight her best friend, her partner. He had caused her this pain. After a couple more seconds, his helmet falls back and he looks at the night sky above them.

Ares:....*Sigh* I yield.

The swordswoman takes a second but removes her blade from his face alongside her foot. The group that witnessed the battle off on the side releases a sigh of relief. Slowly, he sat back up and stood up with his remaining hand. He picks up his blade and returns it to its scabbard.

Asuna: ....*Whisper* Thank you.

Ares:.......

The swordsman turned around and began to walk away. He pulled out a teleport crystal and disappeared as the blue light engulfed him and vanished.

She lets out a sigh and wipes the tears that were building up at the side of her eyes. She turns back and sees Kains and Schmitt holding up Grimlock.

Kains: Asuna, we thank you for your help. You can leave him to us.

She nodded and they bowed to her as they turn and leave the hill. Once they are gone, she lets out a sigh. The events that passed were more stressful than she could have imagined. She was unsure of what to do now. The sun had begun to rise on this side of Aincrad and she took one last look at the tombstone to see a brown-haired woman in green armor smiling sorrowfully at her. The sun continued to rise and eventually, a ray hits her eye, causing her to lose focus. Once she turns back, the figure was gone as if it never existed. Left speechless, she stood there and took in the moment.

- TimeSkip - 4th Floor - Rovia -

The door to the house on the 4th floor opened and the swordswoman walked in. She closed the door behind her and turn to see her friend cooking dinner. He seemed focused and did not recognize her presence, or maybe he did, and wanted to avoid speaking to her. Nonetheless, he remained quiet and poured bowls of soup which he places on the table.

After removing her hood, she took her seat and said a quick "thank you" to her chef, who only responded with a nod. She noticed that his hand had grown back and was in full use. Limbs that are dismembered can grow back in a short periods of time, and faster in a safe zone.

They both eat in silence, not the comfortable silence they both are accustomed to, this was different. She wanted to tell him something, anything, but she couldn't find what to say. Thoughts began to pop in her head, even some she didn't desire. Words during the fight played in her head in a loop until it was engraved in her memory. As they finished, both continued to sit there in the uncomfortable and awkward silence until one spoke up.

Ares:... I'm sorry.

Asuna:....I know.

Ares:....I never wanted this to happen......To... show you that side of me.

She knew what he was speaking of, she clearly remembers the story Sasha told her about their first encounter. Now that she thinks about it, he was mostly enraged by goblins, before their fight, he had compared Grimlock to a goblin. Something clearly wasn't right about the boy's relationship with goblins. He kept secrets, she knew that. Last Christmas, he went on a suicide mission to get the revival item and he never explained why, could that be connected with this? Before she could think of more, he spoke up again.

Ares:...I lost my cool. I let myself be controlled by my emotions and that is unacceptable.

Asuna: It happens to everyone.

Ares: But I went too far....and I'm sorry. I'm sorry it had to go to the extend of us fighting.

Asuna:....I know.

She knew that he was sorry. She could tell by the sound of his voice. She can almost feel it.

Ares:.......I've been thinking.

Asuna: About?

She knows what's coming, she had thought about this before. She understands why he will say it and knows it's for the best. But she truly doesn't want to hear them. The words that will be the hardest for her to accept.

Ares:........I think we need some time apart.

And like a blade to the heart, she could feel the pain it brought. And she could feel it spread throughout her, like a poison. She's trying her hardest to keep the tears from building up at the side of her eyes.

Ares:.....Our partnership can never be the same, not after tonight.

Asuna:....I know.

Why? That was the question that was running through her head. Why her? Why now? She had just accepted the fact that she has feelings for the boy the day before. So why are they going to separate the next? Why was the universe always ripping her of her happiness? Why fall in love with him only for them to not be together? Why can't she finally be happy?

After a couple of seconds, the girl stood up from her seat as her eyes were covered due to her head hanging low. The boy himself had his head slightly lowered. The girl walked to the door and twisted the knob opening the door. She felt like saying something but her throat stopped her, as words were not necessary. She swipes her hand and the menu appears, after a few clicks, a notification appears. <<DISBAND PARTY?>>. After a few seconds, she clicked the <<YES>> button, and his health bar was removed from her screen.

All the emotions she felt for the boy and the current situation began to be released from her body. She felt too tired and knew it was a losing battle against her body. She tried her hardest to not make any noise so instead, she ran out of the house causing the door to slam shut. It was still dark on the 4th floor so she pulled up her hood and began to run without looking, she needed to get somewhere that was anywhere but their home.

The sound of the door slamming caused the boy to turn to it, knowing he had broken her heart. After a couple of seconds, he could no longer feel her presence with his detection skill, he knew that he was alone. He slowly raised his hands and began to unbuckle the straps on his helmet. Once they were completely loose, he slowly slipped it off his head letting his hair breathe freely. He placed the helmet onto the table and placed his hands on his lap. He hangs his head low, knowing he made an unrepairable mistake. His fist clenches strongly on his pants until his knuckles turn white and he begins to shake slightly.

He releases a roar of anger as he grabs ahold of the table and flips it forward. The bowls and his helmet fall onto the ground as the table crashes.

He grabs and throws the chair he sat on across the room and it broke into multiple pieces as it hit the wall. He kicks the coffee table into the nearby wall.

He lets out a frustrated and long rage-filled roar. He breathes heavily as he stands in the middle of his destroyed home.

Alone.

Meanwhile, the swordswoman had rented out an inn far from her previous home. She wept the entire way there and now sits on her bed with her face between her knees. All of her adventures she faces alongside him are flashing before her and it only increases the pain in her heart.

She felt many things, alone, sad, stupid, miserable, but mostly broken. She wiped away the tears, trying to stay strong. Now that she was alone, what will her next move be? Being a solo player on the frontlines was suicidal, she would have to fight as a group player.

Heathcliff: {Sound like you two have a good friendship, but not everything lasts forever. That is why I am giving you this offer. If you ever need to join a guild, our doors are always open and with your skills, you'll quickly raise through the ranks. You'll be able to leave whenever you want so it is not an obligation to stay. Think of this as a backup plan, if being a solo player has reached its limit.}

Asuna: {I appreciate the offer but I would like to decline for now.}

Heathcliff: {I understand, just remember that the offer is always on the table.}

Those words said to her by the commander of the Knights of the Blood Oath play in her head. If she was to get stronger, she would have to be a team player. She looks up from her knees and opens her menu, and scrolls down until she finds Heathcliff.

Asuna: *Thoughts* This is for the best.

She clicks on his tag, knowing that this will be a new chapter for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

乇几|

(A/N): Hey guys, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter. This so far is my longest chapter with 6000 words. More chapters coming soon so stay tuned.

Support my Kofi :)
ko-fi.com/guardian_angel21

Here's your chapterly meme

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

2.2K 28 40
This is a retelling of the "Fairy Dance Arc" from "Sword Art Online." Since the "Sword Art Online Progressive" movie is dropping this year, I though...
273 11 15
On November 6th, 2022, there has been a release of a huge Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game or "VRMMORPG" for short calle...
241 17 53
DKK this is an Sao parody this is basically not going to follow much other than just main character kirito Asuna and my character ARC it's going to b...
701 4 40
This is part two of my "Sword Art Online" fan fiction series and if you haven't read part 1 which is called "The Black Swordsman", then I highly reco...