His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 44: Noble guests

59 3 0
By RaeySam

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days."

-Benjamin Franklin
⚜️

The Butterfly ball was known all over Westershire not only for its grand parties but also because it was hosted by the Duke and Duchess of Ackernetch, the season cannot start if they have not opened their doors just yet. Not to mention that they have the largest butterfly garden in the kingdom. And so, being invited into one was a privilege.

Allerdale Hall was alive with music and laughter. Guests have gathered everywhere, the ballroom, the refreshments table, gaming rooms and even on the dark areas of the garden.

Dathan mentally noted how each season was the same as the previous one, perhaps, a bit different in some ways but never for good. He noticed there were more unmarried ladies in attendance since he and his brother graced their presence such events. And that meant trouble for the eligible bachelors like him. His eyes were constantly moving from one corner to another, looking for a familiar face.

"You are looking anxious, Dathan. Is something the matter?"

He looked down at Em and flashed a smile, "Too many people, I think."

She laughed, "You and I are alike. I do not detest the dancing and talking but I would much prefer a quite escape."

"That we are, Em. But I feel it way too soon to be disappearing from my mother's judging eyes. She may be thinking of ways to torment because I am a bad influence on you."

Em bit back her smile because she caught Lucille's eyes, the Duchess did not look quite happy that she was dancing with her son. Mayhap she ought to have asked her permission first?

"That may not be the case, Dathan. But I agree, it is too early to leave the fray."

"Do you think we could talk somewhere else, Em? I can show you the butterflies out back."

Her heart raced but she tried not to show panic on her face. "Are you trying to lure me into a trap? Are you not supposed to be wary of causing a scandal?"

The dance was ending so Dathan leaned closer to her ear and whispered, "There won't be a scandal if you aren't caught. And yes, I may be trying to seduce you into my arms least one of these gentlemen steals you away."

Em paused, she pulled her hands away from him, her eyes told him that the dance has ended. She raised her chin, "I thought you wish to court me don't you think seduction would be cheating?"

Stupid Dathan. He told himself.
"I...I mean to do that, court you, I mean."

"Then do not tempt me into a dark corner. Because I will not be a willing victim." Not again, she whispered. She knew the attraction between them was too strong and she feared things would go farther this time. So she turned to leave but he caught up her and matched her pace. "You do not need to escort me back."

He lowered his voice while the people around them threw curious glances, "I must. My mother shall have my head if I leave you alone."

"You are being ridiculous."

"Mayhap. But I do not wish for anyone to pounce at you. That dress is screaming trouble."

Em's cheeks flushed, "This is a pretty dress, though it was cut quite lower than usual but it is nothing compared to the others."

"It is lovely, yes. So lovely that you have no idea what I wish to do with you right now."

She had nothing to retort back. So she allowed him to escort her towards Lucille.
***

Once she was back within Lucille's sights, Dathan went off making up excuses about an important matter to be discussed with some other lord in attendance. Em let him go, hoping he won't be thinking of another attempt to lure her away.

"...my son can be quite protective sometimes." Lucille said, "He may not show it but he acts like a good brother or father. He may not be the sweetest gentleman out there but he does care a lot. In his own ways."

Em did not grasp the entire sentence but she assumed that it was meant for her. "He is quite a gentleman tonight, my lady. There had been no jokes or incoherent subjects so far."

"Hmm...are we talking about the same son of mine, Rose? That does not sound like Dathan."

"Indeed. But he can behave if he wished to. He is very intelligent yet brutally honest at the same time." Which would explain why he was one to never beat around the bush, Dathan was someone who would speak his mind.

"I agree. But sometimes I wish he wasn't too intelligent and be like a regular man like the others." Lucille started walking around and Em trailed behind her. "It would be wonderful to see him stutter infront of a lady, just once, and not appear too aggressive. There may be a lot of women considering him as a husband but he would soon scare them away."

"But not all women like the idea of men spewing poetry all the time. Sweet words can be taught and learned, together with courtesy and gratitude as well. Some prefer honesty, too."

"So men who are bred to be gentle and kind are just what...too refined? Does it bore you to see such charade?"

"No, my lady. I only meant, some men can be a prince  charming one day and be a dragon the next. Its the pretense that discourages me. But Dathan is merely showing his true nature. At the end of the day, what matters is that we know their true colors."

Lucille waved at some acquaintances before turning back to her. "But it would be nice to see a man act like one, a prince charming I mean, wouldn't you agree?"

Em blinked. Could she imagine Dathan that way? She figured she could not and preferred not to. She knew how he was like and she accepted him just as he is. If he were to turn into something like a gentle, sweet thing, "It wouldn't be him."

Lucille smiled. "Yes, it won't be my Dathan."

They were quite after that as Vincent came with his friends. Her mistress' attention was turned elsewhere but she was not free to go—yet.

"Count Mondiego, you have not met my dear companion have you?" She heard Lucille say.

The blonde haired man with a slightly balding head turned to them. His gray eyes squinting against the candle light. "A friend of yours, Lucille?"

"Yes, I brought a sweet little thing with me." She pulled Em by the hand so she could come forward, "Meet Rose Roderick."

The count smiled at her and at that moment, he looked younger. "Pleasure to meet you, Miss Roderick." His wrinkled hands held hers before gently planting a kiss on the back of her palm. The lines on his face seemed to give her a glimpse of how he looked like before. And she couldn't shake the feeling how familiar he looked.

"Pleasure is mine, your grace." She curtsied.

"Ahhh, what a lovely young lady she is. I'm afraid she does not belong here."

Em's ears perked. What did the count mean? Vincent and Lucille were stunned as well.

"Whyever do you say that, count?" Vincent asked.

"Well, for starters, she is young and we are old. She ought to be introduced around the bachelors. Not with shriveled nobles like us, she should be out there."

One of Vincent's friend choked on his drink while the other disguised his laugh with a cough. Lucille merely sighed with relief. Count Mondiego's word was essential and it would seem that Em had passed his criteria. Soon, word would spread how she appealed to him.

"We have only just arrived and have no chance to introduce her around." Lucille said.

"Well, I suppose we can walk around with her and know the important ones. But a man of my age is hardly a thing to consider. Miss Roderick will be ignored if they think I am her suitor."

Another choked laughter sounded from the group and this time, Lucille was smiling. "You jest, your grace."

"When you're at my age, jests are merely snacks you eat every now and then. But I would suggest we put the young miss on the dance floor before any desperate Mama would think she is after my fortune."

Vincent's friend could no longer hold it in and burst out laughing. It was so contagious that they all did the same thing.

"I believe I can help you with that." Said a voice behind Em; cutting off their laughter; someone came upon their circle.

"Ahh, Gideon my boy, good of you to grace us with your presence." Said Count Mondiego.

"I would hate to miss this season for you, father."
***

Em carefully turned and saw Gideon's smiling face. His blonde hair, too pale to be golden, appeared grayish under the evening light. While his dark gray eyes mirrored that of the count's. And then it hit her.

He was a noble.

And he was Count Mondiego's son.

"A wonderful evening to you, my lords." He turned to Lucille, "My lady...And miss Roderick."

"You seem familiar, have we met before?"  Lucille asked.

Gideon's smile deepened, "I may have came across you at one time."

"This is my friend Lucille, Duchess now dowager from Hinley. And her husband Vincent." Pointed out the count. "These two other gents are my colleagues from court." Then gesturing towards his son, "And that over there is my son, Gideon Hanselworth. Also my heir."

Gideon gave them all a nod until their eyes landed back on Em. "No need for introductions, father. The lady and I are acquainted, quite recently."

"Well, it would seem that fortune is with us dear friends. My son can show her around and by the morrow, you can expect a line of morning callers knocking on your door." With that, the group has decided to find a gaming room. While Em was left in the hands of a knight.
***

Gideon, as a gentleman and true to his word, gave her a tour around Allerdale Hall. She had met some of his acquaintances and friends. He had not asked her to dance just yet but she could tell he would ask her soon.

After they rounded up a corner, Gideon said, "I hope my father has not bullied you. He can be upfront sometimes."

"No, he was wonderful."

The dancers paused near them, indicating that this set was ending. The musicians were just on their left side. Em noticed several ladies throwing her side glances, their lips moving but were hidden behind their gloved hands. Or mayhap the attention was on Gideon and not on her. She looked at him but he did not seem to notice.

"It would seem he wished for you to attract suitors." He said.

Em chuckled, "I do not understand why but yes, he sounded just like that."

Gideon shrugged, "It's the season, people flock here to find possible matches. He merely assumed you were looking for one."

"Well...I may be."

"In that case, will you  allow me to call you on soon? I did ask you the night prior."

"And you also said that you can wait." She reminded him.

"Hmm..I did, didn't I?"

The dance finally ended and most guests applauded. The ladies were taken back to their chaperones while the men hurried to their next dance partners.

"What say you we show these people how a dance ought to be?" Gideon asked.

"I am certain they would like to witness someone trip over their feet. What  do you have in mind?" Even if she asked she already knew. "Will I be the unfortunate partner in this plan?"

"If I have your permission, Miss Roderick." He said and offered his arm.

"I am not sure about this..." there was a much larger crowd here compared to dinner party she had attended. What if she tripped and those over painted ladies would laugh at her?

"That's fine. Life is full of uncertainties and that is why before you have a change of heart simply jump and never look back."

"I have a bad feeling about what is to happen."

"I call that excitement. Do not be too hard on yourself, Em. Let us dance and let me present you to the ton."

Em accepted his hand and they took their places. She smiled up to him and he gave her a curt nod. The music blasted and she was swept away in his arms,her skirts felt light against her legs and her hands fell comfortably on his shoulders.

"How many suitors would you like, lined up outside your doors?" He asked.

"Is there a limit?" She was curious after all. Do ladies entertain more than one?

"No, of course not. But how many can you handle?"

They switched partners and gave each other a challenging look. When they finally returned to their places Em said, "I am afraid that giving out a number would be impolite to society's standards."

"Big words from a country girl."

Em merely laughed which caused several heads to turn. In fact, she could feel the men around had started to notice them. Her.

"I may have been rather loud."

"None sense. I knew that you are bound to be the belle of the ball and curious glances are to be expected." Gideon said. "Of course there's the fact that you are in the arms of a knight. They ought to be curious."

"I must be so lucky to be in your presence, my lord."

"Can't argue with that but please drop the honorific. My father may be a count and I, a knight, but I never liked being addressed as a lord. Not yet, that is."

They slowed down near a group of wallflowers. The ladies' heads were bobbling up and down, drowned in their own world. But when they noticed Gideon, Em literally heard them gasp. He was so attractive that conversations would stop and she find it quite ridiculous. Ladies are supposed to behave at all times yet this group gawked at them openly. She stared at their direction and caught their eyes, then their faces changed. Gone were the large puppy eyes and dropped jaws and was then replaced with an angry look and tightly shut lips.

"Well, how does it feel to be introduced to the society?" Gideon asked, breaking her thoughts.

"It is overwhelming and scary at the same time. I would like to thank you for showing me off tonight, Mr. Hans."

He smiled at his made up name, "Pleasure is mine, Emelia. And please, do not mind those jealous ladies on the corner."

"You've seen them?"

"Unfortunately, yes. But I try not to notice them. The more they think I am unaware of their existence, the better. I hate to be the topic of gossip."

"But why would be they jealous?"

"Ahh, sweet innocent Emelia." Gideon looked down at her, "They are jealous of you."

"Me? What is there to be jealous about? Their dresses are way too fine than mine. I think you misjudged the look in their eyes."

"True. But a pretty dress is merely a pretty dress, anyone can wear it and still look awful. But you, you are wearing a used gown and you've no jewelry except this bracelet," he raised her hand and she saw the emerald stone gleamed under the light, "but you are more beautiful than them."

"Flattering, very flattering." She replied.

"Or would like me to say that they may just be jealous because you are dancing with me. Hmm?"

She smiled, "That sounds believable."

"Well, I do not wish to flatter myself. As a gentleman I should be giving the compliments not receive them."

"Says who?"

"Society, of course." Gideon stopped and gave her a bow, the dance had ended.

She curtsied in answer, "It would seem that I have much to learn."

"Yes. And it won't be easy, Em. Society can decide whether you are fit to be in the season and they can also decide to forever ban you from here." Gideon offered his arm to her which she accepted. "I'd gladly help you around but I may not be available all the time."

"You are so generous. But I believe I shall be fine." She felt good about her first night, if she could stay on the good side then she may just belong here. She won't be the scullery maid anymore, nor the shy companion that hovered behind Lucille's shadow.

"Have you thought about my question?"

"Which is?"

"If I can call on you."

Em pursed her lips. They were now in a far corner surrounded by strangers. She could not see her mistress or her husband, not even Dathan's shadow. What should she say? Can she make decisions on her own?

"I am making you uncomfortable, I must apologize." Gideon said.

"N-no, its not that. I simply feel that I must ask my sponsors first."

"Well, in that case, let us head to the gaming rooms. My father must be with them."

"Fine. But should we be—"

"....please welcome, the Duke and Duchess of Hinley." A servant had loudly announced.

Em stopped, Gideon did too. His head turned to her, curious why she had suddenly froze on her tracks.

"Em? Are you alright?"

She couldn't find her voice because her heart was beating so loud. Her breath stopped as well, as if the blood traveling in her body dried up. She closed her eyes and  tried to listen then noticed that the crowd had started to whisper around them.

"...that is Earl Josien's daughter, is she?"

"Yes. And that is man with her, a Davensport?"

The whispers continued. Em paled. Are they...no, it can't be...why would they be here?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 13K 60
"A single night can change the course of your entire life." . . . [Yandere Prince x Female Reader] Once upon a time, in the tiny kingdom of Vascini...
253 27 14
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...
159K 6.1K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...
5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...