Chapter 13

Charlotte slowly walked to the stables, avoiding the staff's study windows. 

She arrived at the stables and sat on the hay bales. Timothy appeared moments later and noticed the newspaper in Charlotte's hands.

"What's that?" Timothy asked.

"Before that, I would like to know why we're here" Charlotte smiled.

"Oh, right!" Timothy nodded, before moving his hands to his front, revealing a beautiful rose hairclip. 

"Oh, Timothy, it's beautiful" Charlotte smiled. "But how did you get it?"

"Mother mailed me some money to get myself something nice for passing my exams" Timothy explained. "But I felt it should go to you instead"

"Oh, Tim..." Charlotte sighed. "You didn't have to"

"Well... I wanted to" Timothy smiled. "Happy birthday, Charlotte"

"Now, as promised, I shall show you what I have" Charlotte smiled. She unfolded the newspaper, revealing the headlines. 

Woman, believed to be a suffragette, has died after jumping in front of a fast moving horse and carriage. 

"Lottie, you're not thinking what I think you're thinking, are you?" Timothy asked.

"How else am I going to show everyone that women and girls are people not to mess and make fun of?" Charlotte asked. "All I have to do is go to London and take part... which is also the problem"

"Not if I can help" Timothy smiled. "Charlotte, I promise I'll get you to London before your next birthday"

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Tim" Charlotte sighed. "But thank you"

///

Nine days later...

"Father says he's been promoted," Hutchinson says to Jeremy Baines, "that means more money. Might end up in a better school"

"Ah, you should enjoy it sir" Charlotte said, not looking up from the pile of books she was sorting into colour order. "But from what I've heard, more money won't convince your father for you to change schools"

"Did anyone ask you to speak, Sullivan?" Hutchinson asked, his tone sounding dangerously low.

"No, sir" Charlotte said, not ashamed.

"Then hold your tongue" Hutchinson replied.

Charlotte zoned out until she heard Hutchinson say something to Timothy.

"Have you been reading my post?"

"What?" Tim said.

"It said Africa," Hutchinson exclaimed. "And I've just read the word myself"

Charlotte and Tim shared a quick glance, both of them expecting trouble from Hutchinson. The next second, Hutchinson was holding Tim against the wall.

"How did you know that?" Hutchinson said angrily. "Have you been spying on me?"

"No!" Tim replied quickly. "I just guessed"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hutchinson said, still holding Tim against the wall.

"I'm good at guessing, that's all" Tim replied. Hutchinson let go of Tim. Charlotte breathed a quiet sigh of relief; it could've ended worse.

"Sometimes I say things and they turn out to be correct. Just little things. Tiny things, I can't help it. It's just some sort of luck"

"It's true," Charlotte said suddenly. "The other day, Tim managed to figure out what my favourite animal was"

"Which was?" Hutchinson asked.

"A rabbit" Tim replied, to which Charlotte nodded. Secretly, both of them knew that Tim already knew Charlotte's favourite animal. Hutchinson seemed to buy the fib though.

"Well, never mind, you little toads" Baines said, putting his book down. "Who's for beer?"

"You've got beer?" Hutchinson asked, seeming quite pleased.

"No, but Baxter's hidden a secret supply in Blackdown Woods" Baines replied.

"Well what are you waiting for?" Hutchinson said just as Baines started to open the window and climb out. "Make sure the bursar's down the pub before you go past his window"

"Bottle for everyone, is it?" Baines asked.

"And none for the filth" Hutchinson said, obviously referring to Timothy and Charlotte. "And hurry back Baines, I'm parched"

///

Charlotte left about half an hour later. She couldn't stand Tim being all on his own with those ghastly boys, but she wasn't a headmistress. She was a servant, and she knew that she would stay as one until she went to London and became a suffragette.