Chapter 11

Timothy lead Charlotte throughout the school, pointing out which classroom taught what and which study belonged to which teacher.

"Why are there no female teachers?" Charlotte asked.

"I think this school prefers only male teachers" Timothy replied.

Charlotte nodded. Except, she still didn't understand. Why only have women in the school for servants and carers for the sick and injured?

"Up those stairs is the dorms for the students here" Timothy said. "You may go up there maybe once or twice"

Charlotte was eventually lead to a study. On the door it said Mr Ridley in gold lettering. Timothy knocked on the door.

"Enter" a voice said.

The two preteens entered the room. A man with a small beard was sitting in the room.

"Mr Latimer" the man smiled. "How can I help you?"

"Sir, this is Charlotte Sullivan" Timothy said. Charlotte waved.

"Ah yes!" Mr Ridley smiled. "You're the girl that Matron mentioned to me. Lovely to meet you, Charlotte"

Mr Ridley shook Charlotte's hand.

"Mr Latimer, thank you for showing Miss Sullivan around" Mr Ridley said. "You may go"

Timothy looked at Charlotte one last time before leaving Mr Ridley's study, closing the door behind him.

"Well, Charlotte" Mr Ridley smiled. "Tell me about yourself"

Charlotte started from the beginning, or at least from what had been told and what she remembered. 

Mr Ridley listened, seeming to be very interested. He was quite shocked about how brave Charlotte's mother was to put Charlotte before herself.

"Charlotte.." Mr Ridley said when Charlotte finished. "I'd like to help you as much as I can. In the evenings, servants are given the last few hours of the day off before they go to bed. Would you interested in school work during those hours?"

Charlotte's face lit up, "Oh my, yes please Mr Ridley"

"Alright then" Mr Ridley smiled. "I'm also going to let you have Saturdays off, since I normally visit my mother during those days, so I won't be needing you"

"Thank you so much, Mr Ridley" Charlotte smiled, trying not to cry. "This is so generous of you"

///

And so Charlotte's new life in Farrigham School for Boys began. She would spend most of it delivering tea to teachers, scrubbing floors and taking private lessons with Mr Ridley.

Charlotte excelled in Maths and Physics. Biology and English was enough for Mr Ridley to call a pass. When it came to Chemistry, Charlotte would struggle. But she did well nevertheless.

Charlotte would spend her Saturdays with Tim. Sometimes they'd go to the park, go into town or wander the school grounds.

If Mr Ridley was in a good mood, he'd let them both borrow a bike that belonged to the school and the two of them would ride them up the hill and gaze at the view while eating their lunches.

Charlotte grew to like Tim, and she felt worried because of these feelings she had for Tim. What if he rejected her because of where she was in society?

Who could ever love a servant girl?