Chapter 28

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER...

(1933)

Charlotte smiled at the photo that Pearl had sent her a few days ago. It was of Pearl, her husband and their newborn son, who they had named Sam.

Dear Lottie,

Hope you are all doing well. Sam is only a week old, and I love him to bits. I hope to see you and the family this summer and meet Sam in person.

Take care of yourself, and tell Timothy I said hello.

Hugs and kisses,

Pearl xx

"Mum, have you seen my pencils?"

"In the pink box under your bed, Thomas," Charlotte replied, who put away the letter and quickly began cleaning up her daughter's dolls so they didn't get broken as Thomas ran into the room.

"But pink is for girls," Thomas groaned.

"If pink is for girls, then why are you wearing pink socks?" Charlotte asked her eleven-year-old son, a smirk on her face.

"They were the only ones I could find," Thomas replied.

"Well, I think your father would like to hear about that," Charlotte smiled. "He wears pink sometimes."

Thomas didn't reply, already crouching down on the table and beginning with his drawings.

"Mum, why were you and Dad looking at that blue box in the truck yesterday?" Thomas asked. "Abi and I saw you both."

"Well, when I was your age, your father and I went through a very exciting but scary night," Charlotte smiled. "When you and your sister are older, I'll explain it a bit more."

Thomas nodded before continuing with the drawings he was doing.

Meanwhile, outside in the barn, Timothy was busy feeding the chickens while his six-year-old daughter, Abigail was collecting the eggs and placing them in a basket.

"Daddy, why were you staring at that blue box yesterday?" Abigail asked as she grabbed the last egg.

"It's a long story, dear," Timothy replied. "I'll tell you about it when you're older."

"Okay, Daddy," Abigail nodded with a smile before continuing to feed the chickens.

Just then, everyone began to hear something. It sounded like a roaring sound. Charlotte very nearly dropped the dolls she was holding.

"Mum, what's that noise?" Thomas asked.

Charlotte didn't respond as she walked outside and to the area in between the barn and the house, with Thomas following her. Timothy emerged from the barn, carrying Abigail in his arms.