Yet she couldn't help but dream of having the little girl in her arms again. Singing their song and dancing in the empty ballroom in the castle.

It was late december. All the trees had been decorated for Slithermas, twinkling lights curling around the branches. The Winter Solstice would begin soon, and the ball would be held later that week. Amity's giggles echoed in the big empty ballroom.

"Pretty pretty tree." she sing-songed as she approached the center of the massive room. Clinging onto a big ornament in fascination.

"Try not to break it my dear." Lilith said, approaching her 2 year old.

She was dressed in a thick felt dress that reached her knees, a Slithermas gift from her grandmama (rest her soul). The embroidery on the skirt is impressive. Grandmama had done her best, Lilith appreciated that. Even if she didn't always see eye to eye with her.

"Dance! Dance!" she cried as she grabbed hold of Lilith's hands. Handing her the green and gold music box.

Lilith sighed, she was tired. But alas she picked up the little box and turned it's knob. The familiar tune began to play and her daughter squealed in excitement.

"Sing!" she begged as she began to dance with her mother. Lilith laughed at her little girl, the fondness growing in her heart.

"On the wind

Cross the sea"

She spinned Amity and she laughed. Because that's what Amity always did. She laughed and smiled.

Hear this song and remember

Soon you'll be home with me.

The memory comes to a stop because there is no more to it. They had danced and gone to bed. The music no longer played and there were no more dances.

"Once upon a december..." she whispered to herself, drifting off to sleep.

She sleeps peacefully that night, because there is nothing more to dream about.

--x--

"Eda no."

"But-"

"We are not eating grass."

"But King already did it!"

"That's why he's lying on the floor feeling sick." Luz reasoned as she pointed at a groaning King.

Luz had come home from school with her friends (the gods had given her extra luck because she somehow managed to get Amity to join them), and here she was arguing over grass of all things with an elderly lady (she would never say that out loud).