What Was Never Lost

Lilith was worried sick.

Amity had never been late. Not even once. Not even when she was burning a fever, in which Lilith immediately forced her to get rest.

Amity just never was this late. 25 minutes was just absurd to her. And Lilith feared the worst might have happened.

'No,' she told herself. Amity was a strong girl. She was probably just held back at home. That made sense. Amity wouldn't be late unless something urgent had happened at home.

In that case it wouldn't hurt to go and pick her up.

She picked up her skirts and made her way to Blight Manor, calculating her steps and clutching her staff tightly. Trying to calm her nerves, she hummed to herself. Trying to soothe her jitters in some ways.

Amity was fine, she told herself. Nothing bad had happened to her. She was being overzealous.

Yet why couldn't she shake off the feeling that something was terribly wrong?

She sees the familiar grey and dark building and frowns. She never got why it looked so gloomy for a place so luxurious. Then again, the castle had always looked like that.

"Get yourself together Lilith. She's fine." she muttered as she made her way to the front door.

Knocking gracefully, she stood back with a neutral expression on her face. The door answered, by none other than Edric Blight.

"Oh! Hey Ms. Lilith. Are you here for Amity?"

She nodded, "Yes. Would it be alright if I came in?"

He shook his head and gestured to the inside of his home. Stepping in, she took in the sight before her. It's murky and lifeless, just like the castle. Despite the crowded number of residents. It's big, far too big. Lilith never liked the Manor, but it wasn't like she could do much about it.

She jumps when she hears something crash onto the floor upstairs. Edric shifts uncomfortably and reaches for a loose floorboard, like it was a daily occurrence. He picks it up just enough for her to make out both a bruise on his arm, and a first aid kit. He snaps his hand back when he realizes her presence.

"I wanted it to get into place, Ms. Lilith. No need to worry," he says, composed of all things.

A liar, but an impressive one, she must admit.

No one could out lie a liar, much like how no one could out con a con. Lilith had learned to bend the truth to her liking in her youth. It was a much needed skill when one's parents were not present much in your life. Though she could say that she avoided it when she could.

Just because one could did not mean they should.

"Alright," she answered simply. Not wishing to pry further.

Gripping at her staff, she waits for the boy to leave and is surprised to hear yelling.

"That's not true. There are people out there who actually care about me!"

Amity.

Not wasting another second, she got up and made her way to the steps. She could still hear the screaming, but could not make out their words.

"DON'T SPEAK OF THEM THAT WAY!" she hears Amity scream.

She speeds up her pace and turns towards the sound. Cursing the house's unfamiliar exterior.

"Your father had to come to me to get rid of you! You'd be nothing without me!"

Odalia's voice boils her blood and she forces herself to calm the murderous thoughts in her head.