The Falling Action

Camila Noceda is... fine.

She's doing fine.

Sure, no one would think she was fine if they found her in a deserted room crying her eyes out. But that was just an outlier in a sea of truth. She was fine.

Really, she's fine.

She's completely fine with her daughter choosing this life over her.

She's fine.

She knows she's fine, even as she weeps.

Camila pushes up her glasses, trying to force the air into her chest. Her breath shakes along with her hands, shivering from yet another sleepless night.

She's been told that the castle's interior is the safest place in all of the isles. That as long as they reside here, no one should be able to touch her or Luz. This is their sanctuary and safe haven.

Or, Luz's, to be more accurate.

Nothing about this was Camila's sanctuary.

Camila's always been more of a domestic woman, someone down to earth (is that how the saying goes?).

She groans, sulking onto the stupidly soft sofa.

This is a choice, Camila could easily step back into her home and sleep there. But the thought of Luz staying here all by herself maddened her.

This is a choice. An excruciating, awful choice.

"Hey."

Speak of the devil.

"Can I sit here?"

Edalyn Clawthorne is the most insufferable woman she's ever met. For the life of her, she cannot understand why her daughter loves her so much.

She knows she's supposed to be making an effort. Especially to the woman who's been taking care of her daughter for so long.

But... it didn't seem fair. And whoever this "Owl Lady" was, clearly wasn't the best role model to be looking up to. She was a criminal. Not to mention, in the first 2 days of knowing her, she had somehow managed to pickpocket just about every resident in the castle.

In fairness, Camila only wanted the best for her daughter. She's no saint either, she'd hardly even call herself a perfect mother. But she wasn't outright immoral.

Very few people even managed to get such a high bounty without doing something wrong.

Camila looked away, "I'm your guest, you can do what you want."

She invites her to her side anyway. A guilt welled up in her chest. It wasn't fair of her to do that, was it? Luz was trying, and... and she was so happy here! Seeing her mother and mentor fight must have been difficult. Especially when she felt guilty enough as it was.

Eda props herself next to her, shifting awkwardly in her seat.

"So, we suck."

"Excuse me?"

Eda smiles a painful grin, gold fang sticking out her lips. Camila can easily see the feathers stuck to her hand, once again reminding her of her more... animalistic traits.

"Well, seeing as we're both here sulking while Luz goes off to be with her new favorite person, I'd say we both kind of suck at this parenting thing."

Her eyes went wide, like she had caught herself. Blushing in embarrassment, she looked down at her feet. Seeing the more confident woman so flustered was odd to her.

"Sorry, I- I didn't mean it like that. You don't suck at this whole parenting thing. You've... done this a lot longer and you've been adjusting so well. I- that came out wrong. I'm sorry."