Something New, Something Sweet

Start from the beginning

But that was silly. She was too old for any of those anyway.

"I must be going now, but your lessons will begin on Monday. You will have them every odd day. I expect great things from you Ms. Blight."

Before she can say anything, her mother speaks for her. "She will not disappoint you."

She could never . Lilith wanted to say. But she keeps her mouth shut instead.

Amity watches her walk out the door without another word. She's excited for her lessons to start. She's going to be the apprentice of the Empress of the Boiling Isles. She's going to be the protege of Lilith freaking Clawthorne.

This is probably the best day of her life.

Surprisingly, her mother said nothing and dismissed her immediately. Amity was too distracted to wonder why and hurried into her room. She pulled out her diary, scribbling the details of what just happened. She couldn't help but feel giddy.

"Mittens, why does mom look like Beatrice came in uninvited?"

"And why do you look like you're going to burst out of happiness any second now?"

She could barely contain her excitement when she bellowed. "I'M GOING TO BE EMPRESS LILITH'S APPRENTICE!"

Edric and Emira looked at her in surprise, before immediately adopting matching grins on their faces.

"Great job Mittens!"

"Wow, going big shot so soon?"

Amity just grinned as the two brought her in for a hug, and for once, she didn't fight them. She let them embrace her and squeeze their faces into hers. She does, however, shove Emira away when she gives her a kiss on the cheek.

"Emira! Quit it!"

They just continued to trap her between the hugs. "No! We gotta make sure you don't forget us when you become Little Miss Perfect."

She groaned as they continued to laugh at her misery.

She couldn't wait until next Monday.

--x--

"I want you to aim at that tree over there. Don't be scared. If anything goes wrong, I'll be able to help you."

Amity's hand trembled as she drew a circle, the spell fell before it could be fulfilled. She huffed in frustration.

"It's alright Dear. Try again. This time, concentrate more on drawing the circle than aiming, alright?" Lilith asks patiently.

Amity nods and does as she's told. She pays more attention to drawing the circle than actually aiming. And it works. A little vine starts to grow from the circle and run towards the tree. It misses, only by an inch.

Amity lets out a frustrated growl and sinks into the floor below her. Hugging herself for comfort.

Lilith walked over to her and put a hand on her shoulder. Amity tensed at her touch, awaiting a painful slap or a snarky comment.

But it never came.

Instead, Lilith wiped the dirt off her face and offered her a small smile. Amity stays there, stunned. She quickly shakes her head and looks away. Hoping to avoid her mentor's gaze.

"Tell me what's bothering you Amity."

Amity hesitated for a second, not sure whether this was something worth sharing. Amity didn't talk about her life much. She was more focused on her studies, which Lilith admired. Yet there was a pestering thought in her mind that only drove her curiosity of the girl.