Chapter 8: Note to self: Don't roll my eyes

We finished eating, making small talk every now and again.

I learned a few new things about him; he was majoring in business, he liked to read, he played golf, and he liked to exercise.

Hearing his hobbies made me realize pretty quickly that I needed to get a new one. All I did was read inappropriate novels and watch movies all day. It was a problem.

I let out a groan and held my stomach, pretty much stuffed. I ended up eating the majority of my pasta, mostly because every time I put my fork down, Joel would insist that I picked it right back up and continued eating. It was annoying but flattering at the same time, I liked that he cared if I ate or not.

My wine was also gone, although this time I didn't down it like juice, only drinking a few sips every now and again as we talked. Which I had to admit, was much better than drinking it all at once (like he told me).

"Would we like any boxes tonight?" The waitress politely asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

"No thank you Kaitlyn, just the check please." Joel said with a ghost of a smile.

"Right away." She answered with a head bow and scurried away.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her back.

Did she really just bow? Has she been doing that the entire time?!

"Why does she act like that?" I asked him, looking back at him confused.

"Act like what?" His head tilted, mirroring my expression.

Obedient. Submissive. Subservient.

I definitely wasn't saying any of that... And why did I feel like he knew what I was talking about already!?

"Like... You're royalty or something."

Before he could answer, Kaitlyn appeared with a small black folder with a receipt poking out of the top.

"Whenever you're ready, sir." She bowed again and walked away after setting the bill down on the table.

I gave him a pointed look.

"My parents run the restaurant." He responded as if it was nothing.

I stared at him dumbly for a second. "Wait- your parents-?" My eyes flew around the empty room, expecting them to suddenly appear out of nowhere.

"Yes princess." He smiled, amused. "Don't worry, they aren't here."

"I know-" I cleared my throat, face still on fire. "So, where are they?"

"They work from home mostly." He responded, getting his wallet out of his coat pocket.

I frowned.

"I can pay." I announced, taking off my glittery phone case to get my debt card out.

"Put that away." I heard him, which I ignored.

"I have to pay you back from yesterday anyways Joel." I tried to reason.

I thought back to yesterday when that stupid wheel clamp was on my tire, and the stupid lady that made me, or rather Joel, pay 80 dollars to take the stupid thing off.

Ugh, that day was just so... Stupid.

Geez, so much has happened since then.

"Put it away, princess. Now." He ordered again, voice a touch deeper now.

I paused at the tone (that had way too much power over me), and gave him another "are you serious right now" looks. I immediately looked away when I saw the same fatal expression as before, and did as told.