Chapter 25: The Surprise

One month later:

Joels 25th surprise party was in two days and I was freaking out.

Not only did I invite all of Joel's friends, I also may or may not have have accidentally invited my entire Abnormal Psychology class...

Joel's circle only consisted of his brother Kyle and his best friend Antonio "Toni", both of which I'd met on sepeart occasions and got along with well. When I brought up my plan to them, they reluctantly agreed after days of me begging, warning me multiple times that "Joel despises surprises" which I ignored.

He told me once that he'd never had a birthday party, and it about broke my heart in half, so I was throwing him a surprise party whether he liked it or not.

And he was going to love it.

"Wait what?!" I exclaimed, not believing what I was hearing.

"I'm sorry!" Callan apologized with puppy dog eyes. "But Julie asked me if she could bring her two besties and I didn't know hot to say no! Then her friends told their friends..." He winced but didn't finish.

I put my hand on my head, wondering why this was happening.

"Maybe it'll be okay." Sara chimed. "I mean it's not like he has many friends to invite to begin with."

"Sara!" Callan scolded, shooting her daggers.

"What?" She shrugged with an innocent look on her face.

I rolled my eyes at them.

Although harsh, Sara wasn't wrong. But Toni and Kyle both told me multiple times that their was a reason Joel's circle was small.

I sighed, all well, I'd deal with him if and when the time came.

"Okay, you're right." I agreed. "We just have to make sure that we don't invite anyone else."

"Pinky swear?" Callan asked.

"Pinky swear." Me and Sara agreed, all us linking our pinky's together in promise.

____________

The next day, Joel and I were cuddled up on his comfortable lush couch watching Family Guy, when I got a distressing text message.

My phone dings from the side table and Joel stretches to grab it for me.

"Thank you." I smiled and read the message on my Lock Screen once my Face ID registered.

"You're welcome, babygirl." He answered, although I barley heard him.

Callan: Hey! So Sara and I may or may not have accidentally invited a few more people... Also the bakery said the cake won't be ready until tomorrow because the baker has the rona :(

"I don't like this show." Joel informed after a particularly nasty Peter joke, reaching for the remote but I wasn't paying attention.

I inhale sharply and stand up, already FaceTiming the bestie group chat, attempting to rush away.

My arm was grasped before I could move, quickly reminding me of where I was.

"Kai what's wrong?" I heard Joel's concerned voice.

The FaceTime call connected but I hung up before anyone could say anything, swallowing before looking at him with innocence, plastering the most convincing smile I could muster.

"Oh just Cally, being Cally." I laughed awkwardly. "You know him..."

His eyes narrowed slightly, and he was about to say something until my phone starting ringing loudly.