𝟬𝟬𝟳. a tribute to george

Meredith

Chief of Surgery

"Do you really think the interns are trustworthy enough to put a patient's life in their hands?" Bailey asked me.

"Well, yes. But no. They did try to pull a Izzie. But they have excellent skills and talent and they'll become extraordinary surgeons one day." I backed the interns up.

"Name me one intern that you think will even be able to make it through the next five years without getting kicked out." Bailey challenged me.

"Olivia and Tatum. They show immense potential. Tatum's exactly like Christina. They've came so far. Olivia is just like Lexi. She has photographic memory too. Just because they made one mistake doesn't mean that they ruined their career." I recited.

"Fine. But if they make another mistake that's on you." Bailey pointed at me.

For once, I feel something. Not just numbness. It's good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose. I know that the interns have the drive to be great one day.

Olivia

End of hospital shift

"Watch out!" Someone shouted at me. I was crossing the road, home just a few steps away. That was the last thing I heard before I blacked out.

Meredith

Chief of Surgery

*Pager beeps*

I looked at my pager. Trauma incoming. I rushed out of Bailey's office with Bailey running right behind me.

E.R.

"Jane Doe. Knocked down by a bus." The paramedic said as we wheeled the Jane Doe in.

No, that's not Jane Doe.

"That's not Jane Doe. That's Olivia. What the hell happened." I was shocked by the familiar face I was looking at.

"I don't know. Someone dialled 911." The paramedic told me.

"She's knocked out cold." Another paramedic chirped in.

Olivia's face was red. She had bruises and cuts all over her. It's a mystery that she's out alive right now. A miracle in fact. At least she was recognisable, one off the luckier ones who weren't completely wrecked in a bus crash.

"Stay with me, Olivia." I whispered to her. The interns weren't paged and I think it was better off like that.

"Oh no. No. No. Her heart rates' dropping." Bailey shouted.

"Let's wheel her into trauma one and get a crash cart. Code blue." Bailey was on edge.

Trauma one

"Charge to 200. We don't have time!" Bailey instructed.

Her heart rate continued to drop, almost flatlining.

"Charge to 360. We can't lose her. Clear!" Bailey shouted again.

I couldn't believe what was happening. I rushed to do CPR. I couldn't let her go. One of the interns. One of our people. Another one of our people. I continued pumping her heart. Bailey's eyes were heartbreaking.

"Meredith." Bailey's words were so soft.

"Meredith." Her words hit every single part of me. How do I save a life? How.

"Meredith." Bailey repeated. That felt like the final blow. I shattered. I collapsed and fell to the ground. I couldn't do it. I couldn't let this happen again. It was like a nightmare that never ended.

"Meredith. I'm so sorry." Bailey whispered. Her words were hushed.

"Time of death..." I couldn't bare to hear it. I blacked out. Too.

Author's note.
happy holidays! this was unexpected, right? there's more to come and i hope you're enjoying this. i'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback on it! merry christmas to all of you :)

remember to vote and comment :)