𝟬𝟬𝟯. a long night

Locker room - Hour 20

"So, how's being a surgical intern going for all of you?" Reagan asked, such a rhetorical question. Everyone filed into the locker room, drained from all the labs and suturing.

"I've done absolutely nothing except for suturing and running labs for the past 20 hours. Try being in the pit all day." Tatum whined. Everyone's eyes were trying to stay open, there's still many more hours to go. At this point, caffeine was the only thing they got to drink.

"I'm done. This wasn't what I signed up for. Shouldn't it be more glorious than this. Shouldn't we be treated like surgical gods?" Parker relented.

*Everyone's pager beeps*

"This better be a good one. I'll do anything for a surgery." And with that, they were all on a run. Maybe Meredith and Bailey taught them something to say the least.

Hallway

"I need an intern for surgery. Who knows how to perform a Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy?" All hands shot up.

"Are all of you sure that you know how to perform one? I would prefer to have the patient alive after. It's such a simple procedure." The interns gawked at the sentence that just strung out but silently nodded their heads, no one daring to object Meredith.

"Alright, then, Luca you're up." Meredith announced, not even seeming to care about how much this meant to them. They were all taken aback. The first surgery was given to Luca? Of all people, Luca?

Meredith started to walk off but stopped short."Your past is behind. I absolutely do not care if you graduated top of your Havard class, you're all equals now. Interns. Family. Your skills are the same and make no difference to me. None of you will get to specialise until residency so move on." She turned around and faced the interns. "Reagan, prepare Mr. Anson for surgery. Rest of you, get some sleep while you can. You have a long night ahead. Luca, you're with me."

Locker room - hour 21

"Grey only took the boys with her tonight. Don't you think that's a little suspicious?" Tatum reckoned.

"Tay, she said sleep when you can, evidently not with attendings. Do you really think Grey would sleep with them?" Olivia stared at her friend.

"Whatever." Tatum rolled her eyes.

"I'm trying to get some sleep here please. I've been running labs all day. Can I never get some peace?" Parker laid on the bench. She had dark eye circles around her eyes, maybe everyone should actually get some sleep while they can.

"I'll leave you to your beauty sleep. I need food." Olivia stood up, getting ready to leave.

"I'll come with you, I need some fresh air." Tatum suggested, trailing behind her.

They pushed open the door and headed out.

Waiting room - Vending machine

"Where did you graduate?" Tatum asked when they arrived by the vending machines.

"Yale. What about you?" A snickers bar dropped down. "Want one?"

"No thanks. I'll get a sandwich." Tatum punched the numbers into the keypad on the grey vending machine. "UCLA. How old are you?"

"24. What's with the questions tonight?" Olivia replied in-between bites of the gooey melted chocolate bar.

"We haven't gotten to know each other since the ceremony. 24? Are you a science whiz, born genius or superstar parents?" Tatum's jaw dropped, shocked at the number.

"It's none of them, just photographic memory. That was what got me through med school. I skipped two grades too so that's how I ended up here. I've never met my biological parents." Olivia stated as if that was something you see everyday, leaving Tatum even more startled.

"Are you even human? I thought graduating from UCLA was an accomplishment, turns out you're a freaking superhero." Tatum gobbled down her sandwich.

"Oh, heavens, you're doing just fine. Photographic memory only gets you this far."

*Pager beeps 911*

Olivia and Tatum stuffed the last of their food into their mouths and broke into a run, speeding up the stairs.

Mr. Anson's room

Olivia pushed open the door, stunned by the sight. "What in the world happened here."

Tatum gaped at the dropping stats on the monitor and finally came to her senses, shouting, "He's going into V-Fib!"

"Where's Dr Grey?" Olivia questioned worriedly.

"I didn't page her! I paged you guys!" Reagan frantically exclaimed, a whole mess.

"We need a crash cart. Call a code blue." Olivia commanded, her voice clear.

"It'll ruin my career if I call a code now. It's too late. We'll have to do this ourselves." Reagan was in despair.

"You're putting his life at stake. Now." Olivia shouted at him.

Tatum rushed a crash cart over."Charge 200, clear!" Olivia shouted. To no avail, Mr Anson's stats continued dropping.

"I'm not losing another patient today." Olivia looked at Tatum in distress. "Charge to 300, clear!" She shouted again.

Mr Anson's heart rate started climbing up, stabilising. "Thank the heavens." They heaved a sigh of relief.

"You fool!" Olivia almost whacked Reagan out of anger.

Right at that moment, Meredith walked into the room.

"Why is there a crash cart next to him. Why is that in your hands." It wasn't a question. Meredith's face turned to infinite shades of maroon, her gaze bearing down on all of them.

Reagan's face turned pale. "He was crashing. We had to do it, Olivia saved him."

"Weren't you prepping him for surgery? Where did this come about? Why was a code not called? Why was I not paged?" Meredith's voice remained calm and unquavering which unnerved all of them.

No one dared to reply to their attending, everyone in the room stared into blank space. Seconds tick by and Meredith finally continued on, "No one wants to tell me how this happened? You'll answer to the chief."

"He went into V-Fib, Dr Grey. We really had to do this." Tatum spoke up, out of fear perhaps.

"You're all off the case. You can speak to chief instead." Meredith dismissed them with a wave of her hand.

The three interns looked around at each other, wide-eyed and shocked.

remember to vote and comment :)