𝟬𝟬𝟭. interns

"This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you." Dr Miranda Bailey spun around the Operating Room and quoted, an all too familiar line that has lived it's legacy. Many generations before them has heard this sentence every year, without fail.

"I'm pretty sure a person either has what it takes to play or they don't, there's no in-between. I think I'm pretty much screwed." Olivia English muttered under her breath, brows scrunched up tight, nervousness radiating off her. Unfortunately, she said that a tad bit too loud.

Bailey caught the words runged out and turned around. She glared at Olivia, her gaze staring unflinchingly into Olivia's eyes. "Is there something wrong...?" Trailing off at Olivia's name.

"Olivia. Olivia English." Olivia offered. Now, the entire room was staring at her.

"Well, Olivia." Bailey emphasised on her name, distaste dripping off her tongue. "Is there something you would like to add then?" An intern snickered at the back of the room.

"No, Dr Bailey." Olivia glanced around nervously.

Without skipping a beat, Bailey turned around and finally carried on. "There are five rules. Memorise them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you. That's not gonna change. Your first shift starts now and lasts 36 hours. You're grunts, nobodies, the bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, you write orders, you work every second night until you drop, and you don't complain."

"Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page with a run. A run, that's rule number two."

"These are the on-call rooms. Sleep when you can, where you can. Just absolutely not with any of the attendings, my point is extremely clear on that." The room burst into laughter at that. Dr Meredith Grey surveyed the new batch of interns.

"Rule number three. If I'm sleeping, do not wake me unless a patient's actually dying." Dr Bailey finished the sentence.

"Heavens, this will be absolute hell." Olivia let out a sigh, earning some death stares from others.

"The dying patient better not be dead when I get there, because not only will you have killed someone, you will have woken me for no good reason. Are we clear?" Meredith read through the rules ingrained in her mind, a daily skill by now. Without MAGIC, it's weird to hear Meredith speak like that, she's never been one to talk. Oh, she's changed.

"Am I talking to a wall...?" She looked at the dead silent interns. Meredith trailed off as her pager beeped.

"Rule number 5, when I move you move."

remember to vote and comment :)