𝟬𝟬𝟮. field trip to nowhere

E.R

"Incoming trauma!" Dr Bailey shouted as they arrived in the emergency room. "Grey, take trauma two."

The room was flooded with people rushing in all directions, everything was a chaos of activity.

"Tatum and Reagan, sutures. Luca, Parker, go run labs." Meredith hurried everyone, an attempt to break down the group of interns surrounding her like a wall — most probably trying to get the best opportunity, always eager to learn.

"What do I do?" Olivia noticed that she was the only one left, her name not being mentioned at all.

"Olivia, you're with me." Meredith was already walking into trauma two as she finished off her sentence, not bothering to look back to check if Olivia was even following her. "Why are you still standing there. Move." Meredith shouted to Olivia when she finally noticed.

Trauma Two

"What happened?" Meredith asked while pulling on white latex gloves — standard procedures.

"18 years old. Found unconscious along the highway. Heart rate stable. Blood pressure 80 over 60." Before the paramedic could finish, the patient's stats began dropping.

"He's crashing!" One of the nurses shouted.

"On my count. One. Two. Three." They hoisted him up from the stretcher.

There wasn't any visible damage that they could deal with as Meredith surveyed the patient lying on the hospital bed. Her skin had started to pale and there was no time to be wasted.

"We need to intubate. Olivia, do you know how to?" Meredith was already moving aside, making way for her new intern to perform a simple procedure but,
under such pressure, with a person's life at stake, there was no predictions to be made.

"I've never done it in real life but I've definitely studied about it." Olivia was taken aback. It was her very first hour on her very first day as an intern and she was already asked to intubate? Despite that, it was definitely an honour that other interns would be disappointed to hear about during lunch. Everybody wanted "the firsts" as an intern.

Meredith was already holding out the tube, motioning for Olivia to move over and get to work, fast. The patient's stats were definitely not getting any better, her heart rate was dropping and every second was precious. Maybe that was step one on saving a life.

Olivia took ahold of the equipments, willing her hands to stay still and not shake — giving away the one thing she was trying to hide, her fear. Her fear of  making a mistake and time was not on their hands right now so there was absolutely not space for silly mistakes.

"I can't find it. I can't do this." Olivia was panicking. Her cheeks started to flush, perhaps from the embarrassment of experienced staff standing in the room, watching an intern struggle with a task so simple, a task that should have already been done by now.

"Dr Grey, help!" Olivia scanned around the room, trying to find her attending.

Meredith cleared her throat and finally made a gesture for Olivia to move back. "Let go, now." Meredith shouted.

"Crash cart! Charge to 200, clear!" Meredith ordered.

"There still isn't a pulse." The nurse standing silently by their side the whole time said.

"Charge to 300, clear!" Meredith continued, insistent on trying again. To no avail, the monitor showed no signs of improvement. Everyone in the room stood still, no one making a move.

"Time of death, 11.42. AM" Eventually, Meredith called it.

Meredith pulled her gloves off and threw them into the disposal. Just as she pulled open the door, the smorgasbord of activity outside the trauma room seemed to finally come back to life, "Dr Grey?" Olivia  called out, clearly in shock.

Meredith showed no sign of sympathy whatsoever, as if whatever just happened was merely a dream. "You learn as you go. He wasn't going to make it. The hospital did our best to save him." Meredith walked away.

Cafeteria - Lunch

"How is it? Being Grey's favourite?"
"It's the first day and Grey has already picked you?No fair!"
"How was trauma? Definitely better than being stuck doing sutures all day huh?"
"Has Grey already given you the first surgery? Would bet on it."

Lunch was an absolute mess. Olivia was constantly being bombarded with questions by her group of interns. After all, it was just her first day.

*Olivia's and Tatum's pager beeps*

"Have fun." Reagan rolled his eyes sarcastically.

"Oh, bet we will." Tatum shoots back.

The Pit — E.R.

"You paged, Dr Grey?" Olivia asked as they arrived by Meredith's side.

"Yes, of course. There was a hit-and-run accident by 5th Avenue. There are many pedestrians injured, clearly." Olivia looked around the emergency room, just like Dr Grey mentioned, crimson red spilled through their eyes. "Get cozy as you'll be stuck in here for awhile. Get started with the suturing." Meredith instructed, gesturing to the already forming queue to get stitched up.

"We'll call your numbers once others are finished. Please, sit back down." Meredith waved a hand at the seats lining up the pristine white walls of the waiting area. The victims who were eager awaiting in the queue filed back to the seats. With that, Meredith left.

"She hates me. I've already been in the pit before lunch. Wasn't this a teaching hospital? I'm learning nothing by sitting here and doing sutures." Tatum whined to Olivia.

"Oh Tay, I almost forgot but I killed a man today! Within the first hour of my shift, I killed someone! My day's going as great as yours!" Olivia said sarcastically.

"That's still better than sitting here all day." Tatum rolled her eyes.

"Is it? Really, is it?" Olivia shot back at her.

"Chill Liv." Tatum scoffed.

"Sorry. I had to. Evidently I'm not having the best day." Olivia shook her head and sighed.

"This is literal a field trip to nowhere. We're not learning anything. I wonder how much Grey hates me." Tatum prattled on. Perhaps she was just jealous of Olivia getting to be the first intern to intubate.

"Speaking of Grey, have you noticed your eyes are the same colours as hers? They're absolutely ethereal." Tatum remarked, completely out of context.

"Are you suggesting something? I've been told that I have the same coloured eyes as my biological mother so that must have been where I got it from. Whoever she is, I'm pretty grateful for her to give me such beautiful eyes." Olivia found the sudden urge to see how her eyes really looked like.

"Just thought you should know." Tatum replied.

"You're straight right?" Olivia asked her.

"Yes. Why?" Tatum was taken aback by the question snd the sudden change of topic.

"Nothing. Just making sure you weren't into me." Olivia smiled at her sheepishly.

"God. Of course not." Tatum laughed it off.

remember to vote and comment :)