𝟬𝟬𝟲. day after day

Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital - Shift two

Olivia

"I have an appendectomy scheduled at ten in OR three. Prep Mr. Holden for surgery. You can scrub in." Meredith told me. I was bursting with excitement. After what I just said, I'm surprised she didn't dismiss me.

Patient's room

"Good morning Mr. Holden. I'm Dr English, looks like you have an appendectomy scheduled at ten. Let's get you prepped." I read his charts. He seemed to be in his 50s, he had salt-and-pepper hair and wrinkles etched in his face like a walnut. Kind of amusing, really.

"Good morning Dr English. Are you new here? I haven't seen you around before." Mr. Holden asked.

"Oh, I'm just an intern, it's my second day here." I laughed it off. Was he looking down on me? Does he think that I'm not competent enough? Am I too young? A whirlwind of questions flew through my head.

"It's nice to see the younger generation actually do something." He's words were peculiar to me.

Checking through the long list of my mental check list on the thing I had to make sure I completed, Meredith walked in.

"Alright, are we ready?" Meredith asked me.

"Yes, we're set" I replied. I tried to act non-chalant but it was my first surgery, I think we all felt some kind of butterflies in our butterflies on our firsts.

Operation Room Three

"Scalpel." I watched in awe as Dr Grey made an incision. It was a simple procedure but it was my first time in an OR. This was much more amazing than standing in the gallery.

In an hour, Mr. Holden was back in his room recovery. Dr Grey allowed me to make a few cuts too. The high I felt in the operating room was ethereal.

Cafeteria - Lunch

"I made a cut in the operating room today. I need another one." I wish I could summon a scalpel into my hands right now.

"Grey favours the girls. Tatum and Olivia were the firsts of our batch to get to go in. This is unfair." Reagan whined.

"Maybe that was because you almost killed a man." Tatum replied. Reagan rolled his eyes at Tatum.

"What do you all want to specialise in?" Luca asked.

"Plastics. Definitely plastics." Parker was the first to reply.

"General." I felt committed to it after today.

"Cardiothoracics surgery. Dr Tatum Reyes, Head of Cardio. That has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" Tatum looked at me. I smiled back. She'll do well in it.

"Trauma. Quick on the feet, fast in my brains. I'm flash now." Reagan jokingly said.

"What do you want to specialise in?" I asked Luca.

"I haven't decided yet. Either Gynaecology or Paediatrics." Luca shrugged his shoulders.

"You like babies then." I teased him. He did seem like one big baby so he'll fit right in.

"Oh please." He kicked me under the table.

*Meredith pages me*

Elevator

"I cleared the surgery with Bailey. She said she'll allow all of you to continue participating in everything as long as an attending is there to supervise it but you're still on close watch for the next thirteen days. If you pull anything like that again, you'll be kicked out of the programme. She's made herself very clear and I will not be able to save you all if you land yourself in hot soup again." Meredith informed me as we made way to radiology.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." I was happy, elated, ecstatic, pleased, overjoyed and all the words to describe happiness. I was like a child on Christmas day.

"I'm sorry about my comment earlier. I didn't mean it, it just slipped." I apologised. I felt bad at the moment for Meredith, having lost so much already. The careless words I said was most probably like salt on an open wound. It's ironic that we're in a hospital too.

"It doesn't matter anymore now. It's fine." Meredith looked at me with eyes like a sad puppy. Was this just a trick to make me feel guilty?

Author's note.
hello! this chapter is short too but i'll try to put more work into my other upcoming chapters! this story is about to take a turn :) i'll leave you with this for today. stay safe!

remember to vote and comment :)