1

A/n:

The first few chapters are some world-building. This is technically important because it explains some of the events that happen later on in the book and the main character's personality. My goal is 1000 words per chapter.

"When do you think you'll be starting school?" Toby asks through the phone that I have between my ear and shoulder. I almost shrug but remember he's not next to me. 

"Wednesday I think." I breathe out as I pick up a box from the trunk of the van. I check the tag and see it labelled 'Bree'. I walk towards our new house slowly. Making sure I locked the car doors before heading in.

It's a cute house with a very cozy look about it. It made from stone bricks and dark wood but the small garden out front and the shutters make it look like a cottage almost. I walk up the stone path and reach the door, bumming it open with my hip.

"How's Auntie Adelaide?" He questions after a little silence. I sigh before answering.

"Okay. She doesn't talk a lot though." I walk through the hallway and towards a staircase and the other side of the house. On my way, I passed or small kitchen, dining room for three and a living room. The living room was pretty big and consisted of two couches, an armchair and a tv. The stairs led upstairs and downstairs but I went up and towards my room.

"I wish we could move faster." He complained. He was moving in also but had more to pack.

Mum hadn't been the same since Dad died. She really was great before he died but she seems to be stuck in her head most of the time now and it's hard to get her to focus on things. Some things being her 16 and 4-year-old daughters. 

"That would be good for her." I agree, before adding. "And for me."

Toby chuckles before saying. "It'll be fine."

"No, it won'ttttt" I drag out as I reach my room. 

"Just because I'm not there doesn't mean everything will go wrong." He points out. 

"You know how I am. I'm the most anti-social person you've ever met. You also know my anxiety gets bad." I complain. I hear him sigh through the phone.

"You just have to call me when it gets bad." 

"I wish mum just let me do online school."

"You need a social life!" He exclaims. I roll my eyes, though he can't see. 

I'm now in my room and undoing the last box that I just brought in. I have an L-shaped room. The bed is in the bottom nook of the L shape and just fits so that it hits both walls. On the left side of the bed, there is a giant window overlooking the street and the view of the small river in front of it, perfect for reading next to.