4

I woke up to my phone alarm going off, blaring. I groaned and used my hand to search blindly for my phone. I then realized that my other hand was holding a book and looked down to see The Selection folded on my lap. 

I remembered reading last night vaguely. I gave up on the blind search for my phone and sat up to look for it with my eyes. I quickly located it between my pillows and turned the ringer off. I checked the time first, 6:50 am, good. Then I moved to notifications. I guess I was expecting maybe a text from Toby but what surprised me was an unknown number had texted me. 

I dismissed it without checking it and headed towards Ava's room. I open her door slightly to see her still asleep. I smiled and walked in quietly, kneeling down next to her.

"Morning A bear," I whispered while brushing through her hair with my fingers. Her eyelids fluttered softly before she frowned a bit.

She muttered a few things 

I couldn't catch but I rubbed her shoulder a bit before turning around and heading to her dresser. I pulled out her favourite Stitch jumper and some dark jeans. She started to stir awake and I threw them at the end of her bed. She knew that I picked out her clothes if I woke up first, it was our deal. Because if I woke up first then it meant we were on a tight schedule and needed to get ready fast. 

I moved to her headbands and chose a black one for her. I turned around to see her getting dressed. I added the black headband to her things before heading back to my room. I picked out a pair of jeans and a white top. I added a plaid grey and white shirt and tied it around my waist for when I got cold. I walked into the hallway to see Ava in the washroom already. I quickly put my hair up in a messy bun before Ava came and washed her hands next to me. 

I led her downstairs where mum was eating a bowl of cereal silently. I looked at her for a minute before turning to the kitchen and getting out the toaster. I prepared Ava a honey-covered toast and myself a peanut butter one along with a banana. 

While I ate I prepared our lunches and started to pack up snacks. Once I was done eating our lunchboxes were made. I looked at Ava again and giggled at how messy her face was. She had crumbs and honey all over her chin and cheeks, even a bit on her nose. I grabbed a wipe from a nearby packet and handed it to her before putting our lunchboxes into our bags. 

I came back into the kitchen and helped Ava back to the bathroom to brush our teeth. It was done quickly and while I waited for Ava to finish I heard the front door open and close, signalling that mum had left. 

Once we were done that I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch, we had 10 minutes to spare before school started. I opened my phone and saw the notification for the text message again. My brain was at odds, one part was curious about who could possibly have my number, while the other didn't want to know and have to talk with someone I didn't know. 

Curiosity got the best of me though and I opened the text message.

𝗨𝗻𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗻: 𝗛𝗲𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲, 𝗜'𝗺 𝗧𝗼𝗯𝘆'𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱. 𝗛𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝗯𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱.

My mouth was opened in shock as I stared at my phone. Why had Toby done that? I had told him not to! My head was spinning as I tried to think about why Toby would have done this to me. Then an entirely different topic occurred to me, how do I respond? Do I just leave it on seen? Would that be to mean? What if I just politely declined? But then Toby would know about it and get a bit mad.

I looked back at my phone and realized I zoned out. We were supposed to have left 2 minutes ago. I quickly turned to Ava.

"We got to go A bear," I told her as I rushed the both of us out the door. I looked at the front door and grabbed the car keys. Mum had a company car so I got the have the van to drive me and Ava to school. I quickly set Ava up in her booster seat and got into the driver's seat. Before I started to drive I quickly called Toby and put him on speakerphone.

He answered almost immediately. "Hey Bee!" He said cheerfully.

I groaned before saying. "I told you I didn't want you to get your friend to help me."

He was silent for a few seconds before saying. "Listen, Bee, I know you were planning on not talking to anyone and all that. But I'm worried about you, I know how you get in social situations and thought a friend could help you out a bit." He tried to explain. I just wanted to hit my head on the string wheel as I drove to the school. 

"Toby." I dragged his name out in a pleading manner. 

"Bee." He said sternly.

"Don't make me do this," I said with a pout.

"Don't worry he's a nice guy." He said. 

"Toby you don't understand. I can easily just wait for you to move in at the end of the month." I told him sadly. With all that was going on meeting new people was something that I wanted to avoid at all costs.

"Yes, you can I believe in you." He said cheerfully. I shook my head, not that he could see. 

"I'm close to school," I said, it wasn't a complete lie but I was about a minute or two away. 

"Okay bye, have a good first day." He said before adding quickly. "Talk to him."

He ended the call and I groaned before focusing back on the road. Ava was reading a picture book in the backseat as I pulled into the preschool next to the college. This was going to be a hard day.