First Day at the Palace

Chapter 5

The dining room was buzzing with people. I was sat beside luckily Isabella and not so luckily Danielle. I was across from Ilena and that didn't really bother me. I liked around the room and scoped out the girls. Piper was wearing a dress with a plunging neckline, a slit cut in the skirt part and her face was caked with makeup. Alyssa was staring daggers at her and she was obviously jealous. Then there were girls like Riley who's outfit choices could be described as childish. Then the food came. Being a five a was used to very little plain meals. This was the exact opposite. It was flavorful, delicious and definitely not too small. "Isn't this good amazing," I raved to Isabella. "I know right," she replied with a mouthful. I laughed at that. "Gosh guys stop acting the five year olds, food is food," Danielle scolded. "Well Danielle it's different for fours and fives like Kathleen and I who don't get to eat like a spoiled two every night," Isabella retorted. She was officially the queen of comebacks. "You know that's a very un-ladylike thing for you to say Isabella," Danielle said in mock sweetness. "Thanks for pointing that out. Next time I'll try harder for you 'miss Danielle'," Isabella said in the same tone. Danielle just rolled her eyes and went back to eating. "You are amazing at that," I told Isabella. "I know," she joked.

The main course was amazing, but dessert was beyond. Laid in front of me was mini lava cakes with raspberry sauce drizzled on top and whip cream to go with it. The way I knew all of that was from performing at a twos birthday. I have had cake once. It was two days after New Years and my family made enough money to get a little treat. My dad came home with cake! It wasn't much, but cake is cake. It was a dry and a bit flavour less, but it was some of the best food I've ever had at home. This was a different story. I looked around the room to see if there was much conversation; but there was none. Even the royals seemed quiet. The one thing I did notice was how defined the castes were just by the way people eat. Chrassity was poised even chewing, but Taylor, the one six barely used any table manners, nor any while she ate. As much as I hated judging people by castes, but I knew she would be gone by tomorrow. I probably would too.

After dinner we were sent back too our rooms. My maids helped me get ready for bed and I thought I was on my own. Apparently I wasn't. "Please ladies it isn't necessary," I told them. "Mi-Kathleen it's part of our job." I bit my lip and considered it. No no I cringed at the thought. "Please girls I begged. I would never galled asleep with someone in my room!" They looked at each other then Rachel opened her mouth. "Okay, but we must ask Prince Ahren first." "Okay," I replied. 10 minutes later they came back with a guard. "As long as you have a guard outside your room we can leave you alone," Sophia told me. "Kathleen you are just like the queen," Rachel told me. "Goodnight Kathleen." "You too ladies. Thank you so much." I curtsied to the officer and went into my room. I read until the clock hit 12:00pm then fell asleep.