5: Rumour

Evan

"Oh, God," Claire says, leaning over her plate of fries from the cafeteria. The steam from her tea rises in tiny wisps, fading away as quickly as her sour expression does. "Go on, spill it. If it's bad news, I don't want to hear about it. My capacity for negativity has seriously reached its weekly limit."

From next to her, Jenny grins. She holds out her hand and pulls back the sleeve of her sweater to reveal a charm bracelet decorated with initials in the middle. J and S. "We got back together!"

Here we go again.

"Finally, some good news!" The eagerness in Claire's tone doesn't reach her expression. I know better than to believe Jenny doesn't annoy her as much as she annoys me.

Claire tears open her packet of ketchup and dips her fry into it. Her eyes blink at me in a secret message that is more obvious than she thinks it is.

"Congratulations," I say in my best monotone. She kicks me underneath the table. "When did that happen?"

"At the party. He picked me up because I drunk-texted him. It was sweet, though. He didn't have to do that." Jenny twirls a hand through her hair.

It's been two days since the party, and it's the only thing North High can talk about. Earlier this morning, Jenny crowed endlessly about the message she sent to the blog—Peter's blog—and refused to tell me until Claire called her on it. I want nothing to do with Jenny on principle, but especially not if she actually believes Sam's accusations of assault.

"Speaking of Sebastian, are you still going to the game with him?" Claire asks. She is more forgiving about the ordeal than I could pretend to be. I know she's trying to keep the peace, but sidestepping an argument with Jenny is kind of like standing on the train tracks and acting surprised when you have to jump out of the way. Sometimes I wish she would just give in and let it go.

Jenny nods. "You reminded me. I have tickets in my purse. I'm selling them for the student council." She rummages in her bag and produces a stack of bright pink papers that wave like neon signs. "Who's playing?"

"I am," Claire says, "so I don't need a ticket. Evan, what about you?"

"Sure, I can come. Coach probably doesn't want me playing, but I can watch." Even though I would rather not, I take my wallet out and hand Jenny the money for a ticket as she grins at me.

"Wait. Is Sebastian coming?" Claire asks. Her eyes are fixed on the wad of cash in my hand. "And what about you?"

"You don't have to—"

"It's fine, honestly! Evan, be chivalrous and let Jenny come."

I grit my teeth and let Jenny take the rest of my spare cash. She doesn't even blink, but she does quietly thank me.

"So, what about prom?" Claire asks once the silence grows too heavy.

"I know we had a plan, but... I'm not sure I want to miss it." Jenny stares past the cafeteria and out the window. "You know, my mom never went to prom when she was a senior in high school, and it's all she ever talks about. She regrets it, like, a lot. And I don't want to end up reminiscing about the good old days. Something about it just feels wrong."