t w e n t y - o n e

One year earlier

"I MEANT TO ASK," Reighla said from the door to my suite. Her back pressed up against the door frame. Her arms are crossed over her chest. Her black onyx nails were draped across her bare forearms. Her face remained passive, but I could see the questions in her eyes and face. "How was exploring Kryler yesterday? I came home from my meeting and you were already asleep. We didn't get to go out for dinner." She finished with a pout. I could tell she was actually hurt by me not going out to dinner with her. I told her I would, she doesn't like empty promises. Deals broken. Shit. I hadn't even remembered dinner. I showered yesterday after coming back to the hotel and read for hours. I passed out halfway through my historical romance book.

Yesterday was exhausting. Mentally and physically. All I had wanted was a nice day out-exploring Kryler. But nope. Asshole one and two made sure of that. What was their problem? Why couldn't they just let me be? I didn't even get to go to the pastry shop Emile suggested. Ugh, Emile. I needed to apologize to him. I completely blew him off yesterday. He was so excited to talk to me and I completely ignored him. I'm such a bitch.

I'd talk to him today. I'd apologize.

I can't let those assholes put a dent in my plans. I wasn't going to hide from them all day. Well, yes I was, but I wasn't going to let it get the best of me. I was going to have a good day. To hell with the elves.

My eyes locked with Reighla's, I gave her a sad smile. "I'm sorry, I fell asleep reading. You wanna see what I bought?" I asked her. A smile spread across her lips as she pushed off the door frame and came to sit beside me on the bed. I sat up straight and crossed my legs, pulling the books over to me. I handed her the one about the history of Kryler. She took the book between her hands. The pads of her fingers ran across the soft, brown, leather book. I stared at her with contempt. Reighla and I both had a love for books. I used to read to her a lot when I was younger. She used to have me sit and read for hours. Usually, I'd read Mr. Blueberry's pies over and over again. She never objected to it. She sat and listened. I think she liked listening to me speak.

Reading has always been our . . . thing. The one thing I enjoyed doing with Reighla. Our relationship always seemed normal when we read or talked about books. It was nice. I saw her as a friend. An ally. Then she'd stare at me for too long and all those feelings disappeared and fear took its place. She never touched me. Not without my permission, at least. Which I can appreciate, but I know she's hanging on for dear life. Waiting for me to make a "move" on her. Waiting for me to initiate the Pairing. And I wasn't ready for that. I don't think I'd ever be ready for it.

Reighla inclined her head, her fingers etched across the cover. "What made you choose this?" She asked.

I shrugged, "History is fascinating." I told her. She looked up at me and smiled. "That it is."

She opened the book and flipped through the pages. I scooted closer to her and peered over her shoulder watching her skim through the pages. She leaned her back against my front. My chin dipped, resting on her shoulder. She began to read a random page. She read about Tennia. It just so happened to be a page about war. The war between Oshien and Tennia. Apparently it was a brutal battle. The Oshienians are known for being Water and Fire-Bound. Fire dragons chased and devoured Tennians. The dragons burned away their souls, whereas the Water-Bounds drowned everyone. Reighla read a quote that said from a witness-a mother and wife of two Tennian men fighting-that, "The Oshienians looked feralanimalistic, actually. They gave us elves a run for our money. Their dragon's roared and raced after us. Burning us alive and devouring our souls. My son was, unfortunately, on the receiving end of one of them. We thought that was it, but we were fools. That's when the Siren's came. They sang and took our brothers, our sons, our husbands. Mine was not strong enough to fight off her songs. The Siren's lured our men to them and drowned them with a single kiss. Onesoul suckingkiss. It was absolutely terrifying." A shiver ran down my spine. Reminded me to never get on Eden or Lokas's bad side. Sheesh.