t h i r t y - o n e

IT'S STRANGE. She has never been let out before-well, not in a very long time, that is. She is finally in control, over everything. She's excited, Ember has kept her locked away for so long. She wasn't even sure at the beginning if she knew how to act. But it wasn't too hard. She stored Ember away, put her in her pocket and is keeping her safe. Ember has gone through too much, it was about time She took over. Took control. It's amazing, she felt so free, but she doesn't feel completely released. Ember held Her back the tiniest bit. Holding onto that last bit of sanity. So She couldn't change. Couldn't switch, couldn't wear her true skin. Her back was sore, she could feel the membranous darkness pinching her spine. Begging to be let out. Her forehead pulsed too, that darkness wanting to be let out as well. But Ember was still holding on, holding Her back from what she could really do. And it was fine. She isn't angry, she's pleased to be allowed to take over. That was enough for her. It was Her job to protect Ember, to protect them. They are different pieces fitting together in the perfect puzzle, but there is another piece missing, a piece that is asleep. Kept asleep until the time is right. Until she is needed, and when she is . . . the world will crumble.

She's currently with her sister, the sister that sang to her darkness, her true sister. Faune is holding back too, enough to let the other second part of her take over, but not enough to let her free. They are still aware. She can feel Ember inside, curled up on the floor, Gatsby comforting her. The sight of Ember sad makes Her want to lash out, to kill everyone. She can't though. The ring is still forcing her magic down, but if Ember would just let all of Her out . . . she could take everyone out. She could grab all of Ember's loved ones and leave. She could protect everyone. But Ember wouldn't let her out. She's scared of Her. Scared of her darkness, her wickedness. If only Ember knew about the other part of her, the part asleep. She'd be even more scared.

Ember needs to accept them. Both parts. If she does, she'll conquer this disgusting world. But she fears what will happen to her. She fears that everyone will run from her. Shrink away from the darkness in her.

But she doesn't understand that there's a part of her that no one will ever fear. That light in her. She's sleeping. Dormant. Ember needs to learn how to wake her up, and once she does she'll be adored. People will bow at her feet, seek out her eyes just to gaze into them. To look at the brilliant night sky in them. The twinkling stars glistening in her bright orbs. She would take her rightful place and everyone would fall into place after her. Following her wherever she went.

Ember has always known about the darkness in her, because she has felt everyday since she can remember. But the light she has never felt, because she couldn't. She can't feel it. It's so far away it's like it doesn't even exist. It's the same for both twins. They can't feel that part of themselves. All they feel is the darkness.

"I hope the suite is to your liking," King Adrian says to Ember and Faune. They stare at him, their faces frozen and unmoving. He inclines his head. He doesn't know that they're gone. He doesn't know someone else has taken over. He thinks they're being quiet because he killed their friend. The man both girls loved fiercely.

She walks Ember into the middle of the room and straight to the couch, her sister does the same with Faune. Walking both girls like clockwork creatures. Made of gears and cogs.

They both sit down beside one another, staring blankly at the King. He stares at them curiously, tilting his head slightly.

Both twins' lips kick up in terrifying smiles, white teeth flashing.

The King's eyes widen, realization hitting him.

He hisses at them. "No, no, there shouldn't be anyway you're here right now. They said you didn't know how to-"

"Ah, you underestimate us," The voice purrs from Ember's lips. It's raspy and thick, it sounds old. She hasn't spoken in centuries, She's surprised her tongue knows how to articulate properly.

"You made a fatal mistake killing the boy," Her sister continues. "Did you really think we wouldn't notice? That we wouldn't avenge?"

The King's jaw hardens. "You can't avenge until you're in your true form. With your skin and name, Ember and Faune are unaware, they have no way of letting themselves go when they don't know you." He bites out.

She nods Ember's head. "True, very true, King," She agrees. "But they will know soon enough, they've always known. Deep down they know it, and once they utter our true names out loud. Once they realize . . . we will do more than just avenge the boy. We will avenge ourselves and them."

Her sister nods. "We will bide our time, and until then, we will make your life a nightmare, Your Majesty."

Fury and fear take over the King's features. "Carlisle!" He snaps.

The guard comes in, bowing at the waist. As he raises his eyes lock on Ember's, his brows furrow for a beat before his attention returns to his King.

"Escort the twins to the crypt." He snarls.

"Your Majesty?" Carlisle says, confusion thick on his tongue.

"Did I stutter?" The King rages. "Take them, now!"

Carlisle nods solemnly.

She stands so does Her sister. "We may not be able to hurt you now, but we will soon. Locking us there will not keep you safe."

"Oh, I'm not keeping you down there for my safety," The King chuckles, manically. "I'm keeping you there until my accomplices come, and finally finish what we started a very long time ago."

The King's eyes glow for a moment. Changing colours for a heart beat, but it's enough. She saw. Fury funnels through her. It's him. He's back and in a new form.

Carlisle walks over to the girls, grabbing them gently. They don't fight the man. They let him guide them through the long halls, down the dark staircases and into the catacombs underneath the castle.

Her heart rate picks up. She's down here again. The sleeping girl inside stirs, remembering this place as well. Remembering the pure torment.

Carlisle guides them in. The room is the same. Same ethereal and unworldly glow. The glow of magic. Old magic strong enough to hold them. Hold their very beings. The floors are pristine and the coffins look the same. Chills run down Her spine as she steps in, the memories flashing back through her. She stops at the familiar coffin. She stares at it angrily before turning back around to stare at the guard. Glaring into his soul. Hoping to burn him from the inside out. But she can't. Not in this form. With Ember's mortal body. Her sister is unable to do anything as well. A scowl is pulling her features downcast.

"I'm sorry," The guard apologizes. "If there was more I could do-"

Her sister waves him off. "It is your duty, we do not blame you for that, Desmond Carlisle."

The guard's eyes bulge. "How do you-"

She smiles. "I know more than you think." With a wave of her hand the guard is pushed back out the door and the crypt locks. Sealing them back inside once again. They spent many years here. They spent a century in those coffins. Those tight claustrophobic cages. And now they were locked in again, but they would get out. They'd make the twins learn their names and when they did . . . there would be nothing left of this castle. 

A/N: lmao have fun trying to decipher this chapter :p