s i x

TW: sexual assault. If this triggers you, please take note!

Ember

I RAP TWICE ON THE LARGE OAK DOOR. All the lights are out, I peer my head through the glass window beside the door looking for any activity. None to be seen from where I'm standing. I scowl and bang on the door this time, irritated that she didn't answer me.

The bitch can answer the gods damned door. I don't care how early it is. Reighla can drag her ass out of bed and open the door. I highly doubt she's sleeping though. Probably up all night planning my untimely demise.

"Ember, it's four in the morning, they're sleeping-"

The door swings open, Reighla is stood before me, she's in a grey tunic and black trousers. Her blood-red hair is pulled out of her face and rests on top of her head in a tight ponytail. Her amber coloured eyes narrow as she stares at me. Quicker than light, she grabs my ear and hauls me inside, her lips are pulled back in a snarl as she drags me through her massive hall. It looks the same, the grey walls, the light wood floors. I don't dare whimper in pain as she drags me through her home. She'd beat me even more if I cried out.

She practically throws me into her sitting room. I stumble into the white leather couch. My knees smashing into the wooden frames. They scream in pain as I land harshly on the floor. I go to stand but Reighla is in front of me gripping my throat, her long onyx nails sink in and I grunt in pain.

She's punishing me. I've been gone too long and I woke her up in the middle of the night. Maybe not one of my brightest ideas but I need her help.

I hear Royal and Shann thunder into the room, I catch their eyes, horror stretched on their faces. Royal springs forward but I stop him as I whisper through the Calling: Don't, you'll make things worse. He stops dead in his tracks and stares at me wide-eyed. Shann's hand is on his sword. He meets my gaze and he removes his hand. I silently thank him.

Reighla grips my jaw firmly in her hand, I clench my teeth. Fighting the pain coursing through my throat. She notes the movement and smiles down at me.

"Submissive as ever Ember. I'm glad you still haven't forgotten your place." I keep my lips shut and stare into her unyielding eyes. She nods her head in satisfaction. I damn her to hell. Bitch. Always so dramatic. Showing everyone else in the room who has the power. 

She releases her onyx nails from inside my neck. I fight the wince as she whips her nails out, drawing blood. Her free hand is still holding my jaw, she runs the pad of her thumb along my cheek. In a loving fashion. That's always been our relationship. She orders me around like her witchlings but then coddles me. As if I'm her prized possession. She always gets quite angry when I don't come by for a while. 

It's been a month.

Faune comes every other week to visit.

I try to put it off to the very last minute, it always results in a lashing.

Reighla inclines her head at the blood dripping down my throat, she clicks her tongue and smears a bit of it against my throat. "Heal yourself when you leave." She brings her thumb with my blood on it up to her lips and licks it clean. I force myself to be still, to be calm, even though my heart is thundering. Damn heart. She's putting on a show, if it was just me and her, she'd probably slap me and then be done with it. But Royal and Shann are here with me. Have I mentioned she's a bitch?

I catch Royal and Shann stiffen, they're as pale as snow. Royal breathes,  "Witch." 

Shut your mouth-