Don't Touch It

What surprised me, whether I'd admit it or not, was Kaori waited for me after school. At the end of class, while Naruto sulked and complained, she stood at the door. Her frame was still as the wind before a disaster, and she said nothing to make her presence known.

Naruto wasted time as he clumsily threw scattered items into his bookbag. He muttered on and on about irrelevant things that temporarily distracted me from my mission. It wasn't until he confidently slung his backpack over his shoulders did I finally notice the girl.

When I acknowledged her existence, she sighed and adjusted her yellow scarf. The impatient gleam burned in her eyes. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she was inherently frustrated from earlier.

It didn't take an idiot to figure it out either as Naruto greeted her with his usual optimistic manner, completely oblivious to her fuming mood. "Hi, Kaori-chan!"

Her eyes flickered over to the blonde, and she smiled. "Hey, Naruto."

"What are you doing after school?" he queried.

"Oh, Sasuke asked me to," she replied with an innocent tilt of her head.

Naruto blinked repeatedly, his eyes darting back and forth between me and the brunette. "He did?"

"Mhmm! I was a bit shocked, too."

"Wait, what? Why did you ask Kaori to stay after school?"

My lips pursued. He never knew when to stop asking questions. "It doesn't concern you."

In the corner of my eye, Kaori crossed her arms and glared at me. She made an audible sound of disapproval. She decided to answer for me and satisfy the dunce. "He just asked me to stay after school because he didn't know the directions to someplace, and he knew only I did."

"To someplace? What does that mean?"

"Oh, I don't know, ask him." Kaori grinned, seemingly benevolent. Her eyes said otherwise.

Still scowling at the girl, I uttered, "It doesn't matter, Naruto."

He pouted playfully. "Why do you always have to be so secretive? Aren't we friends?"

After a moment of awkward silence—and Naruto acting extremely shocked at my not responding—Kaori cleared her throat and glanced up at the time. "Anyway, we should get going. Sasuke wanted to know how to get to this place, uh... fairly quick."

"Oh, okay. I'll join you guys, then!" Naruto implied, beaming so brightly, it made Kaori wince.

"Do you want to? I'm sure—"

"No," I interrupted rather sternly.

"Aw, come on, Sasuke!" the blonde pestered. "Please, let me come!"

"Yeah, Sasuke. Why can't Naruto come along? There's no harm in that, right?"

My eyes narrowed. "There's no reason for him to come along."

"And why's that?" Kaori pressed.

"He has no business in interfering with us," I answered.

I wasn't sure whether the girl sealed her lips because she was speechless or disappointed. Knowing her the past four half-days, it was most likely the latter.

"Aw, come on, teme!" the blonde pursued. "Why can't I come with you?"

"Yeah, what's the harm?" the girl queried.

"You don't know Naruto like I do," I simply replied.

"What's that supposed to mean?" the blonde complained. "I promise I won't break anything!"