Not Just a Bullet

I had realized that Kaori wasn't the sweet girl she appeared to be—or at least she didn't act like that with me. After our conversation ended, she continued to throw glares my way right when nobody would be looking.

It wasn't difficult to subside them as if they meant nothing, but knowing that she held some sort of grudge started to unnerve me little by little. I was almost tempted to send a glower right back at her. The thing is, if I did that, there was a chance I could ruin the deal and jeopardized my mission to save her from walking to the riverbank. It took a lot in me to stay neutral.

Naruto and Sakura pried into my business, instantly becoming detectives. They dug their noses deep to try and figure out what my conversation with Kaori had to do with anything. To be frank, they were more than surprised.

"Are you some sort of partner with Kaori?" Sakura asked first, a finger curled on her chin. "Is there some sort of project I'm unaware of?"

"She's not another fangirl, is she?" Naruto pleaded. Similar to me, he wasn't fond of the select females in the class that ogled over me.

"No," I answered.

"Did she do something to you?"

I stayed silent, focusing on something outside the window and onto the buildings in the distance. I tried my best to distract myself with the fluffy clouds, the cars rolling by, or the coloured leaves swirling in the breeze. Anything peaceful to contrast with the energy in Naruto and Sakura's questions.

Eventually, the two gave up on pestering me, but it didn't stop them from sparing me glances as some form of a message I needed to decipher. Even in the middle of class, Naruto whipped back to me with a demanding look in his eye. It was apparent he wanted to know, yet he still questioned nothing further. Oddball, that one was.

Sakura was a little more discrete in her way of communicating with me. Of course, after having fancied me for quite some time, she thought she mastered the ability to study me while I didn't realise. Although, that was false. Her gazes never went unnoticed.

I just chose to ignore it, just like I was doing right now.

Instead, I managed to catch Kaori's face distort in disgust whenever she turned to glance at me. As Naruto wasn't exactly the quietest in keeping conversations to himself, she voluntarily involved herself. She wasn't too happy with the way I was handling things.

One time, I caught her glaring at me head on to which I glared back. Her facial expressions were starting to annoy me. She glanced at the Uzumaki before shaking her head. She muttered something but I never picked up on what it was.

When class ended, I didn't wait another second as I bolted out of there. The sooner I could vanish from Naruto and Sakura's sight, the more time it would save me. The only thing I needed to worry about right now was keeping Kaori from walking down that path and ending this odd cycle so life could go back to normal. I didn't want to be burdened to another same day.

In the bay which was already filling up with students of all grades, I changed my shoes and manoeuvred my way out the door. A few daydreaming females and some of Naruto's good friends attempted to speak with me. I never stayed around long enough for them to finish a sentence.

I glanced back to see if I could find Naruto or Sakura. When I saw heads of pink and gold shuffle downward, I was forced to find a quick hiding spot. I found a place outside the school gate, down in between an alley of two cement walls. It was along the opposite way Naruto or Sakura had to go, so I shouldn't need to worry about them peaking around the corner. Still, I crouched within a shadow for safe measures.