22

jaemin's pov

"i'm home," i greeted as i closed the main door behind me.

i then made my way into the living room. the same scene unfolded before me again, where mom was just sitting on the couch, face as puffy as ever, with the same frame of picture in her hand.

"how are you, mom?" i asked, though i know there's little to no chance of my question getting an answer, "i'll make some food, okay?"

i then walked to the kitchen and took all of the ingredients i needed to make a hot soup for mom. i busied myself as i tried to quickly cook the soup so i can move on to finishing my works. as i turned around to serve the soup in a bowl, i was surprised with mom sitting on one of the chairs at the dining table.

"mom?" i called.

6 months since noona left. not once i've seen mom leave her seat in the living room, other than for her bedroom and bathroom for her shower.

she gave a weak smile as a response. but even that weak smile were capable of bringing tears to my eyes.

carrying the bowl of soup to her, i sat on the seat across her with tears still flooding both of my eyes.

"mom, thank you," i muttered. no words came as a response from mom, but her weak smile remained. "thank you for not giving up on yourself,"

she took the spoon from in between my fingers and went on to feed herself.

for 6 months, it felt like i was alone. noona passed away and it seemed like mom lost her purpose in life too. it always felt like there was no point in trying to continue life when my one and only light and hope was losing hope in herself too.

seeing her improve, even just a little bit made me feel like there is hope in life.

"jaemin," mom called with her voice cracking. it was my first time hearing her speak in months.

i hummed in response. once again tears starts flooding my eyes.

"i'm sorry," she said and a tear dropped down my cheek.

"no, mom. you don't have to say sorry," i replied.

"thank you,"

end of pov

jaemin arrived early in school the next day. the school wasn't quiet, given that most of the student council members arrived early for their preparation.

"you're here early," greeted donghyuck as he joined to walk along with the younger.

jaemin hummed and replied, "is it a big day for the student councils? seems like everyone is here,"

"yeah, it's the final day of their assessment. thank god it's ending soon, i'm tired of handling both student council as well as the tournament." donghyuck replied, in a whispering manner as he reached the end of his reply.

"right. the tournament is happening at the end of this week and that only means more intensive practices from now on." jaemin said.

"yes captain!" donghyuck teased, "you're a bit chatty today! in a good mood, i see?"

jaemin laughed as a response, "no comment, so i guess i'll see you around, haechan."