The Suit

The more I thought about it, the more I enjoyed the idea of owning a suit. The first time I'd suggested it, Dinah thought I was joking. But I wasn't. After all, how cool would it be to have a super cool, weaponized body suit? Call me a five year old, but this might actually be a possibility for me! Well, that is, if I could convince Dinah. And she was about as stubborn as a cement truck. I asked a second time, and she said no. But I wasn't about to give up yet.

I rinsed the bowl under the faucet before placing it onto a rack in the dishwasher. I surveyed my target. Dinah sat on the couch, scrolling through her phone. Her hair was still damp from the shower she'd taken after training. She was probably reading the news, I predicted.

All day during training, I tried to come up with as many reasons as I could to sway her. I even came up with a whole speech about it in the shower. When I got dressed again, I decided to load the rest of the dishes from this morning to get on her good side. I watched her as I slowly put away another dish before wiping my hands on a towel. Okay. I needed to be cool. Collected. Smart.

"Can I get a suit?" I blurted.

Nice one, Jackie. Dinah looked up from her phone, a smile twitched at her lips.

"You're not going to give up on this, are you?"

You'd think she'd no longer be surprised after this was the third time I had asked about it. Holding my hands out, I picked my way across stray blankets and pillows scattered across the floor of the living room.

"Don't shoot me down. I've got more evidence this time." I grinned, standing in front of her.

Dinah exhaled and tossed her phone onto the cushion next to her. I had seen that expression on her before as she spread her hands to indicate I had the floor. Ignoring that, I cleared my throat, picturing myself with a presentation board and one of those skinny metal pointers.

In addition to collecting evidence and doing dishes, I tried to suck up to her for the past few days too, like keeping up on my training, less complaining, or keeping my room tidy. I had a feeling she had known exactly what I was doing the whole time, but never mind that. I pulled the mental note cards I'd made in the shower and stood taller to tried to make myself seem all serious and determined.

"As the League's current Intergang Weapons Specialist-"

"Oh, so that's what you're calling yourself now?" Dinah smirked.

I wish I had the pointer stick so I could whap her knuckles.

"It's very rude to speak out during a presentation, you know." I glared at her.

Dinah held her hands up in surrender. Almost satisfied, I continued.

"As I was saying, my area of expertise is needed, correct?" I flourished the words in an exaggerated manner, probably more than necessary.

Dinah gave me an exasperated look like she knew what was coming, but I refused to let her attitude ruin my flare.

"My part of our deal is to help recover the shipment of weapons the Intergang released, correct? If these guys I'm going to be living with are going to be running reconnaissance missions, wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to do that?" I beamed at my logic.

"We've already gone through this. You will not be a field agent." Dinah glowered, daring me to refute her.

I rolled my eyes, unconcerned.

"I'm not suggesting I become a feild agent." I clarified. I wanted to add chill, but I wanted to keep her in a good mood. "On the other hand, you said it was up to me how much I wanted to reveal to the Team about myself, right?" I edged on, piling on as much reason as I could.