Interesting Opportunities

"Jackie!" I heard Dinah call.

It sounded like she was in the kitchen. I stared up at the dark ceiling. The sun hadn't even began to peak between the tall skyscrapers of Star City. I sighed. Old habits die hard. I turned on my side to press my face into my fluffy comforter, breathing its lavender smell. Dinah washed everything with the same detergent- something about the floral scent helping to relieve stress? So, all the fabric in the house held the comforting scent of lavender.

I had heard Dinah wake some time ago, but I didn't join her. Even if I couldn't fall asleep, it still felt nice to lay in the darkness and try to keep my mind empty. It helped me stay sane. I slid a hand under my pillow where it was met with the cool handle of a knife. The weapon offered some sort of protection and comfort, even though it wasn't nearly as effective as my gun.

I heard Dinah's footsteps coming down the hallway, and I closed my eyes just before she rapped twice on the door. She opened it and she leaned inside before declaring,

"If you're not out in five, I'll have you do another twenty pushups!" Dinah threatened.

I bit back a smile under my covers as she left, and closed the door with a soft click behind her. I had come to realize that Dinah really only followed through with half of her threats. Soon enough, I rolled out of bed to wash my face and dress into some loose exercise clothing.

Knowing that training would commence probably shortly after breakfast, I tied my sneakers and did my hair in a simple braid. I flicked off the bathroom light before heading to the kichen.

"Morning, sleepyhead." Dinah she greeted once I emerged from the hallway.

She wore leggings and a green tank-top, with her smooth blonde hair tied up in a sleek ponytail. The blender sat before her packed with mysterious leafy greens I didn't have time to identify. She pushed the button on the blender, and soon all of its contents were incorporated into a sloppy green liquid. I pretended to gag as she poured the mixture into a tall glass. Smirking, she asked,

"Want one?"

"I think I'll pass on the leaf-smoothie, thanks. I'll stick with my protein bars." I said as I eyed her breakfast.

I blindly pulled one from the pantry. In Dinah's apartment, it was the closest thing I'd ever come to a Poptart. Oh how I had grieved. I boosted myself onto the counter before tearing off the aluminum wrapping. Dinah apparently wasn't taking no for an answer. She poured a smaller amount into a second glass.

"It's full of nutrients. You'll need more than a protein bar for today." Dinah slid the glass over to me. I wrinkled my nose. "I put a banana in it this time." She told me, as if that would make it all better.

"Oh goody." I muttered sarcastically, swishing around the liquid in the glass. "You should be a car salesman."

"Drink up, we've got a long morning ahead of us." Dinah said, downing her drink.

I watched her in disbelief as she didn't even so much as flinch. I looked at my murky glass and summoned my courage. After all, if Dinah could do it, then I would make myself do it so she didn't have something else to tease me about.

Plugging my nose, I tossed back the cup. It tasted almost exactly as I predicted- like chemicals and dirt. It was awful. I managed to choke it down, setting the cup on the counter. I was preparing to be as casual as her, but it didn't go that way.

"Yummy." I coughed and wiped my mouth.

"I didn't try to tell you it wasn't." Dinah laughed.

I gave her a dry glare and quickly took a bite of my protein bar to attempt to wash away the green flavors in my mouth. Dinah rinsed the glasses and the pitcher in the sink before wiping her hands on a towel.