Chapter Ten: Stress

500 VIEWS POG

Thank you guys!

I'm so sorry this took so long, I was P R O C R A S T I N A T I N G

WC: ~770 (this really isn't fair, I make you wait a million years and then give you a short chapter? sue me)

Enjoy!

Stress sat up in bed with a groan. Pain burned throughout her entire body. Dying sent a fire in your veins, a flaring wildfire that destroyed everything in its path. An agony so bright that it made you want to rip out your own soul, just so that it would be over

"Stress!" 

Iskall?

The Swede came running into the ice mountain she had respawned in. He was closely followed by Xisuma and... Grian? 

"Are you okay?" Iskall asked, rushing to the bed. Stress didn't say anything though, her eyes were trained on Grian. His violet eyes met hers, and she could practically feel the emotion trapped in them. Worry. Fear. Pain?

The severity of the last one shocked the Brit. It was a year old pain, an ache that would never go away. However, it was also a bright light, blindingly sharp. Grian cleared his throat.

"I'll step outside," he mumbled, understanding that he was out of place, and slipped back into the snowy landscape.

"I'm fine," Stress said, answering Iskall's earlier question. But just based on Iskall and Xisuma's worried expressions and the obvious strain in her voice, Stress knew they didn't believe her. Dying this early season, where there was limited food and other resources that would help one dull the pain, was quite the problem. "Why are you two- erm, three- here?" Iskall and Xisuma exchanged a glance.

"Never mind that," Xisuma finally said. "It really isn't fair of us to ask." Stress raised an eyebrow.

"I don't mind," she told them, earning another exchanged glance.

"We really shouldn't ask you to heal someone else when you need healing yourself," Iskall mumbled. Stress jolted up from bed and stood on wobbly legs, ignoring the pain. "Hey, sit back down!" Iskall protested. 

"Who is it?" Stress asked Xisuma in her ever-helpful way, ignoring Iskall. 

"I'm with Iskall on this one," the Admin said firmly. "Sit." Stress sighed, and reluctantly sat at the edge of the bed. Pain flared up throughout all of her bones, but she ignored it. Stress had dealt with so much more than just some pain. 

"Can I at least ask why the Watcher came with you guys?" Stress said, a stab of venom behind the two words. Xisuma winced, and Iskall glanced away. Realization hit Stress like a truck.

"...He's the reason your here, isn't he?" Stress's voice was emotionless. Iskall sighed. 

"We know that you don't have the best history with Watchers," he tried. Stress leaped up again, fury in her normally happy eyes.

"Not the best?" she snapped. "Way to sugarcoat it, Iskall." A hand went to the back of Stress's neck. Stress rubbed the spot, almost self-consciously.

"He's not like the rest," Xisuma pointed out quietly. 

"How do you know?" Stress flared back. "We just met him." Xisuma winced. Stress knew she had just hit him right in his worries. The Admin wasn't stupid. He just wanted to believe the best. Stress did too. But this... this was too much. 

"I took a reading," Xisuma's voice was hushed, and the meaning behind the statement knocked Stress back a step. 

"You did what?" A new shock was in Stress's voice. A mix of horror and interest. A twist of respect and a lack thereof. 

Readings were a thing that only Admins could do. They scanned a player's morals and thought process, as well as the good and bad balance. However, they were forbidden, the reason being that when readings were taken, the read would be judged based on their potential, not their personality, which were, shockingly, two very different things. 

"His reasons and morals are amazing," Xisuma continued. "I trust him." Stress frowned. 

"I trust him too," Iskall mumbled. "He seems like a really great guy, reading or not." 

"I-" Stress trailed off, unsure of what to say.

Watchers were bad. That was just a fact. Ever since the incident, no Hermit had trusted Watchers. They corrupted your brain. They took you over. They invaded your brain and made you kill others. They tore apart servers. They killed to gain respect. Death was a joke to them. Death bowed down to them. 

And now Xisuma and Iskall want me to trust one. 

"Let me talk to him," The words were out, surprising even Stress herself. "Let me talk to him, I'll now if I can trust him then."

"Are you sure?" Xisuma asked. Stress nodded.

"Alone," she added. "Please?"

"Okay," Iskall told her, though it was obvious from his voice that he was reluctant. Him and Xisuma turned to leave, but right before they stepped out, Xisuma turned around and said,

"You'll like him. I promise."

That was short and it took forever and it ended on a cliffhanger??? Heck, I'm mad at myself. *epic sigh*

-Storm