Chapter Thirty-Four: Bdubs/Xisuma

Bdubs? *gasp*

dId hE sUrVivE???

Yes :)

Grian and Keralis?

Guess you'll have to read to find out!

WC: ~720

Enjoy!

Voices. 

That was all he could comprehend.

"What?!"

"I saw a flash!!"

"Is that..."

"OH MY GOD!"

"BDUBS!!! KERALIS!!!"

"How- what-"

"I can't believe it!!"

"Wait... is he..."

"Oh no."

Bdubs groaned as the world came into focus. He lay in a wooden room next to two other figures; Grian and Keralis. Neither were moving. 

A shard of worry seemed to impale him, but he was certain it was fine.

Oh my god this is Hermitcraft.

"Don't sit up, Bdubs," the voice was soft. Blinking more, he saw a figure kneeling by him and a couple more standing. 

"What do we do?" a different voice. 

Mumbo?

Bdubs tried to sit up again, only to be pressed down. 

"Let me up," Bdubs managed to mumble. "I'm fine." The cold arm on him pulled away, and Bdubs was finally able to sit up.

Iskall, standing frozen in the doorway.

Xisuma, by Keralis.

Mumbo, by Grian.

And Doc, sitting next to Bdubs.

Doc!

"W- what happened to you?" Bdubs breathed, staring at Doc. The creeper had robotic parts, a new sight to Bdubs. Doc winced, and Bdubs felt a flash of guilt at his expression. 

"Bdubs seems fine," Iskall interjected. "So we'll take Grian and Keralis to my house to get them healed up. Bdubs and Doc, we'll leave you to... catch up." Iskall winked at the last words, making Doc facepalm and Bdubs avert his gaze. They all left, leaving Doc and Bdubs alone.

Worry overtook him as he stared out the door, but it melted away as Doc wrapped his arms around Bdubs, pulling him into a firm hug. Bdubs melted into it, relieved to be here, in Doc's arms.

"I missed you so much," Bdubs mumbled. 

"And I missed you," Doc told him. "Oh god, Bdubs. The rest of the NHO is gone. But if you're alive, then maybe..." 

They're alive too.

I hope.

POV Shift: Xisuma

They're alive, Xisuma's brain sang. They're back, and you aren't a complete failure of an Admin, and now maybe Doc'll stop being so grumpy- no that'll never happen. BUT THEY'RE ALIVE!

It took all of Xisuma's willpower not to skip around, squeal, and hug everyone like a toddler.

Well, it was hard to be that happy when Keralis and Grian might be dead.

"Think they'll be okay?" Iskall asked, staring at the limp bodies. Xisuma pressed his lips together.

"I hope so," he murmured. "They're both still breathing, so that's a good sign."

"Will they wake up?" Iskall asked, sitting next to Xisuma on the bench beside the beds.

"I don't know," Xisuma admitted. "We should tell the rest of the server that Keralis and Bdubs are back. They'd-" Xisuma was cut off by Iskall typing something in his communicator.

"Told them," he said with a grin. "Their fault if they don't check the communicator."

"That's not the best way of communication," Xisuma muttered.

"You're smiling," Iskall pointed out. "So I'd say I'm in the clear."

"You're annoying," Xisuma pointed out lightheartedly. "So I'd say you should watch out."

"Hmm? Who's annoying?" the voice was a mumble. 

"Grian!" Iskall exclaimed, sounding relieved. "X, can you tell him what happened? I'm going to go grab our mopey spoon!" Iskall dashed out without another word.

Mopey spoon?

Oh, Mumbo.

Spoon, yes.

Mopey, no.

You do you, Iskall.

"What happened?" Grian groaned. 

"Good question," Xisuma replied. "Do you remember what you were doing before?"

"I was in the mindspace," Grian said slowly, seemingly trying to remember. "And then- oh! Bdubs and Keralis!" 

"Yes. It worked, whatever you did," Xisuma's gratitude leaked into his voice. "Thank you." Grian jolted up.

"Oh..." the smile vanished from his face when he noted the limp Keralis lying in the bed next to his.

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Xisuma mumbled. "I mean, you are."

"Yes, but he's not used to the force of magic," Grian pointed out softly.

"Neither was Bdubs," Xisuma told him. "And he woke up before you did."

"Has he come in contact with strong magic before?" Grian asked. 

"Yes," Xisuma replied, a memory coming to him. "The day he was taken."

"It's possible that's why," Grian offered. "But I think Keralis'll be fine." 

"You think?" Xisuma echoed, staring at his body.

"Well... I hope," Grian admitted. 

Xisuma sighed.

Hope it is, then.

Hope was all they had.

And Xisuma was not giving up on it.

I got deja vu writing those last few sentences. I wonder why...

Oh yeah, BECAUSE I'VE USED THEM BEFORE.

-Storm