Chapter 9.2

With a swift movement, he pulled a clean throwing knife from a pouch subtly built into his clothes. Its sharp blade caught the minimal light of the area before it soared through the air and at Vivian.

Dominic and Brienne both lunged forward to stop it, the blade clipping the faster vampire's finger as it shot past, but ultimately still reaching its target. The delicate-looking blade cut through Vivian's jacket and into her arm, digging a bloody wound into her flesh. The knife clattered to the ground behind her, but the damage was done.

She slapped her hand to her arm quickly, but blood seeped easily past it, dribbling between her fingers.

The newblood's head twisted upwards, his pupils narrowed into slits and eyes unblinking. His teeth clenched together, and fangs dug into his lips.

He wasn't the only one to take notice of the freshly spilled blood. Waves of thirsty growls and bared teeth rolled through the surrounding crowd. Previously still and silent bodies rose from their slumber, crouched forms peering at her from just beyond the shadows.

It wasn't kindness that held them back. No sense of humanity or generosity kept them rooted to the ground. Given the opportunity, Vivian was certain each and every one of them would have torn her to pieces – picked her apart until there was nothing left for the rats.

Dominic and Brienne gave them no such opportunity. The vampire faced the staircase they had entered by and most of the starving newbloods. His eyes flared with vibrant red anger; the threat of his power was amplified by the recent showcase of brutality from the other old generation vampire.

Brienne was by her side in an instant, nails transitioning to claws and veins pushed out against her skin by the flexing of her muscles. She stared at the Moriteri like he was a rabbit, ready to stalk him to the ends of the Earth for what he'd done. He snickered in response.

"Real luck is having the big bad wolf and a kin-killer to protect you," the Moriteri sneered. He looked down at the newblood at his feet and gave him a sturdy kick to the side, pushing him into action. The newblood rolled onto his hands and feet, poised to strike. His eyes never left Vivian.

"Don't do this," Vivian urged the newblood, taking a slow step backward. Her words fell on ears deafened by overpowering hunger. The gaping wound in his chest was mending quickly, but he didn't wait for it to fully close. Instead, he lunged, fingers outstretched for the bloodied woman.

Brienne's fist met his face with resounding satisfaction, the clenched hand sending the vampire flying backward and crashing into one of the concrete pillars that supported the roof. It shook and a layer of dust coated the area. The vampire was quick to return to his feet, joining the growing crowd of thirsty eyes that encircled the trio.

"We need to get to the train – it should be one of the human encampments," Vivian advised softly, her voice a low murmur that still seemed too loud for the situation. Brienne took careful steps backward, facing the sea of hunger in front of them while reaching a hand back to grab Vivian's own.

The newbloods were held back by the invisible barrier created by Dominic's presence, but that barrier seemed to be caving with every second that passed.

As the first newblood lunged again, Dominic jumped back, grabbing ahold of Vivian's shoulder. Distressed hisses and whispers sounded from the crowd of newbloods as the three vanished, but some were not so easily dissuaded. Dominic pulled the two women back even further, away from the spot Vivian's blood had dripped down and on to the ground.

Starving hands and tongues ravaged the blood-stained spot, eagerly searching for more. Delighted squeals echoed across salivating mouths as the three bolted for the train door, causing blood to splatter onto the ground.