=Chapter Nine=

Tugging at his thick black hair, Fengmian tied it into a ponytail. Mianmian sneaked into their quarters trying his best not to wake either of the sleeping beauties. He slowly approached Haohao and caressed his cheek, smiling when the younger muttered something sleepily.

Finally getting onto his bed, he fell asleep.

The next morning,Wu Li Jie like always had managed to rise earlier than his comrades. He had asked his men to sneak into the palace and gather information about the current happenings in the Heavens and the Father King's status. Much to his annoyance the intel wasn't able to reach his ears.

"Your Highness."

Li Jie's thoughts were cut short by the man bowing before him.

"Hm?"

"Reporting to his Highness. Guards have spotted demonic activity in the suburbs of the Bai city, His Royal Majesty has set up the elemental formation in order to trap them."

"En. Anything else?"

"I'm afraid not, your Highness. They've blocked off all the information."

"Hm. You are dismissed."

Sighing deeply he emptied his cup of rose tea and called out for the two men.

"Ah-Mian, Jiahao...wake up already."

Not long after, the youngest rose to life and scrunched his nose as the harsh sunlight fell over his eyelids.

"Looks like we've got to abandon your pig of a brother since he doesn't look like he's waking up any sooner, Haohao."

"A pig. He is."

Cautiously approaching the sleeping pig, Haohao pinched his arm rather too hard.

"Owh! You-"

Haohao threateningly pressed his fingers to his skin again.

"Okay! I'm up, I'm up!"

Mianmian sprung off the bed and grabbed a cup of warm water.

The two hurriedly got dressed into hanfus which their elder had gotten. Bless him.

"Mianmian, Haohao. Get yourself here. I've something to tell you both."

They obliged.

"They've spotted demons in the suburbs of the capital city...the Heaven is in turmoil. Uncle has set up the wards for them and well...it isn't safe for you, Ah-Mian to be here. You need to get back at once and take Hao-er with you."

Ah-Mian looked visibly upset by the fact that he won't be able to be of any help to his elder brother. However what was necessary, had to be done.

Jiahao however wasn't accepting any bullshit.

"I'm coming with you, da-ge. Mian-ge will be fine on his own."

He looked at Mianmian intimidatingly and continued.

"I don't trust that uncle of yours. Besides, Mian-ge has someone waiting for him. Oh and Ge-ge! Aren't you late?"

"Uh- You knew?"

The younger one nodded in affirmation.

"How?"

"Ain't saying it. Get going. You've a date!"

The scowling Mianmian soon departed.

"What was that about?"

Li Jie had watched the brothers exchange before the elder had departed.

"Lady Jiang had informed Mian-ge about the traps. Never mind them, we should leave."

"En."

Yue had waited for him to arrive since the morning and she had had enough. Getting off the fallen log she dusted her cloak to get rid of the snow that had settled onto it. Huffing a cloud of vapors as she exhaled, she saw a faint silhouette approaching her. Her hand immediately reached for the small yet sharp dagger which she always carried on her.

"Lady Bright!"

They called out faintly.

Steadily approaching the man she let go of the dagger hilt and nodded in recognition.

"Young master Lin."

The latter awkwardly scratched the back of his head, grinning giddily.

"Something came up. Sorry to keep her ladyship waiting."

"It's okay. Follow me, be quick."

Quietly following the lady deeper into the woods, Mianmian kept an eye out for spies.

Yue had her sword unsheathed and ready to attack just in case something or rather someone crawls over to them.

"You've known about...me, all along?"

"I watched your 'match' with the disciples...accidentally saw your eyes. They glowed red."

"Is it a demonic trait?"

"Not that I know much but so have I read. Your mother-"

Mianmian ducked under the bushes, gently pulling Yue with him.

"Guards."

He whispered.

"Master Jiahao."

Peeping through the thick outgrowth, Fengmian caught sight of his younger brother.

"Go."

He whispers.

Nodding at the young lad she smiles encouragingly.

"Take care, Fengmian."

"You too, Yue."

Making her way to the bunch of guards, she calls out to Jiahao.

"Master Jiahao."

"Lady Jiang."

Bows Haohao.

"Lady Bright, we caught traces of fire around the area when we were escorting Master Wei back home. Did you by any chance spot something fishy?"

"No."

Jiahao quickly trotted towards Yue smiling at her politely.

"You guys can escort the lady to the palace, I'll be off."

"Sir-"

Yue was quick to come to Jiahao's rescue and left no room for discussion.

"I appreciate it, misters."

She said.

"As you command, my lady."

Just as the group got out of their sight, Haohao turned to his brother.

"Mian-ge. Let's go."