Act 9: The departure from Rivendell

Start bij het begin

Awarthrie was the last one who arrived at the gateway, noticing that the twins and Legolas were already waiting for her. It seemed that everyone had already given their goodbyes, as none of the elves or dwarves were waiting for them. The horses were ready, their belongings were settled, and after Awarthrie stepped closer, Legolas took her knapsack and secured it against the horse.

The twins were already sitting on the horses; they waved at her with a sneaky smile on their faces as they were waiting for some show to happen. She rolled her eyes in disbelief and walked after Legolas. She waited for him to secure her belongings as she didn't keep eye contact. She still didn't' like the idea that she would ride with him on the same horse. But complaining over it wouldn't change anything. She noticed that Legolas irritated, and he wasn't talking at all.

Legolas unblocked the stirrup straps and walked over towards his horse while holding the straps. Next, with one connected move, he mounted the horse easily, making the action seem effortless. The 'dwarf-girl' blinked, confused, as she stepped over so she would be able to leap behind him. But it was easier said than done. Legolas didn't wait. He leaned over and grabbed her against the arm, and pulled her to sit behind him.

"Calm down and let your body lean against the horse naturally," he suggested as he watched her over his shoulder. "And you better hold tightly because we are going to ride at a fast pace."

Awarthrie's body softened as she sat on the horse; she kept her hands away from the 'shiny-elf' who was sitting in front of her. "I'm trying; it's my first-day riding," she complained as she noticed the twins turning their horses around to start their journey.

Connected to the earth by hoof, indebted to the horse who carried him with loving care, the elf made his way through the path that the twins took. He leaned over and whispered a few elfish words to the horse, and it stepped forward at a slow pace. Legolas noticed that 'dwarf-girl' didn't hold tight; any fast move could easily bring her down. He looked above his shoulder as he listened to the steady hooves, the gentle tail swishes, and snorting of the air. Then he tapped his legs against the horse, and it suddenly snorted and stepped forward.

Awarthrie lost her balance; her hands tried to grasp anything that would prevent her from falling. But her reaction was too slow; she lost her balance and dropped on her back and butt. "Mahalu-me turg!" she cried in khuzdul and glared at Legolas, who had paused the horse and looked at her lying down in the rocky ground. The scene was rather comical for the elven prince, and in a way, it felt like paying her back. "You did this on purpose, you Tree-Humber!" she hissed while glaring at him.

Legolas hid a smile and turned around, leaning close to the right side of the horse and offering his hand for her to stand. "We must move on. We cannot linger," he offered and waited for her to take his hand. "Come on," he encouraged her to take his hand. And after she did, Legolas wrapped his fingers against her wrist and pulled her to sit behind him. "Now, don't make the same mistake twice," he added.

Awarthrie screamed and grabbed onto Legolas so she wouldn't fall off again as he rode away. It was her first time riding a horse. She wrapped her arms around his stomach and pressed her face into his back, closing her eyes tightly. "Rukhsul menu!" she yelled loudly as Legolas started riding behind the twins, who had missed Awarthie's fall. "Don't ride too fast, you BEARDLESS DAFT!" she screamed.

Legolas's smile was now showing as he rode away from Rivendell and towards the path that would lead them towards Lothlórien. It would take 462 miles, around 28 days by horse to reach Lórien. They would spend only a few days in the company of the twins, and after that, Legolas would have to travel alone with the troublemaker.