Chapter 49: Aftermath

That evening, just as the sun prepared to grace the horizon, the commotion finally died down, allowing time for Chi and Levi to speak alone

That evening, just as the sun prepared to grace the horizon, the commotion finally died down, allowing time for Chi and Levi to speak alone. They went to a more isolated spot a ways away from where the rest of the Deviants took camp, under the shade of a large tree. With their hands interlocked, they took their seats against the trunk and leaned against one another.

Chi laid her head against Levi's shoulder and he atop her head, facing the horizon with the light reflecting in their eyes. For a small while, they sat in silence, soaking up the warmth of each other's presences. It seemed like it was a dream; they were so peaceful in the plain view of such open lands. Stretching far beyond view ran the earth, patches of forest decorating the land. Off in the westward distance, they could see what looked like a mountain range.

"Hey, Levi," Chi murmured, "I did end up keeping my side of the promise, didn't I?"

"Good," Levi said lightly. "You would've been an idiot and broken it for good if I didn't come to get you."

"Thank you for finding me. I was lost, at first." Chi wore a wispy look as she faced the fading sun. "At that point, I had thrown away all logic. I was surrounded in darkness, and only darkness—and I thought I was going to be that way forever. But something strange happened, and—and I think I met some important people of my life."

"That's interesting. Who were they?"

"My parents. And my grandfather, too. They were such lovely people... who didn't deserve to die the way they did." Chi's grip on Levi's hand tightened. "And yet, they wore the happiest smiles I've ever seen. They apologized for leaving me, and even though I am—was—alone, they said that they'd always be watching over me. They said they would protect me from a place within the stars, and promised me that we'd see each other again someday."

"They must have been wonderful people if you're to talk about them like that," Levi mentioned, breathing a long sigh. "They were people who showered you with love from so far away."

"But what about you, Levi? Even after all this time, I know nothing about you, and yet you know everything about me. And this 'Ackerman' surname? For so long, I had believed your surname was 'Rivaille,' and not once did you correct me if I was wrong."

"Do I really have to explain this?" Levi whined, holding his right hand up to peer at its silhouette against the sunset.

"Yes," Chi answered quietly. "After all... we are engaged now, aren't we? I'm curious about this surname I'm about to take on."

Levi looked away and reddened at the remark, sighing heavily. "Alright, alright. I'll tell you, idiot." He took a few brief moments to breathe again. "My father? Who knows who he was... he was a person who abandoned me, and I couldn't give two shits about where he is today. I was raised by a man named Kenny Ackerman—a Military Policeman, my uncle, in the underground city. He took me under his wing after my mother died when I was a child."