Chapter 7: Emptiness

a/n: y'all... as I was editing this chapter, I found so many mistakes... i'm mortified --' I can't believe I hadn't edited this since 2014! (currently 2018) yikes.. i'm sorry --' but I fixed it up quite a bit so enjoy! <3 xx

~~~~~

"Let's go!" Levi commanded the Elite Squadron, saluting his hand forward. Everyone rode stallions, charging through the gates. It was the day where they were leaving on a mini-expedition outside the gates. Petra, Eld, and Gunther were nearly shaking with anxiety. Even Oluo was nervous. Though they had faced titans countless times in the past, encountering another one always seemed a terrible feat. Eren, on the other hand, was a little more than worried, and was casually going over safety regulations in his head.

Chi was the only one buzzing with excitement. Bloodlust stirred within her. When everyone finally reached the outer wall and had safely crossed outside, the giant panel rolled down, trapping them outside.

"Remember our plan!" Levi shouted above the thundering horses. "Slay whichever titan seems to have the highest probability of success! Avoid injury and death! Collect any intelligence and do not stray far away from the group! We have no backup! Stay within the perimeters we were assigned! Do not go beyond! Check your maps!"

"Yes, sir!" everyone replied in unison. Eren was amused when he noticed how unusually quiet Chi was. Her lips were curled into a malicious smirk, and  her eyes seemed... different. They seemed darker and much more daunting. She was lightly quivering atop the horse, gripping the leather reins so tightly that her knuckles were a pale white color.

After a mere ten minutes, they spotted two stray titans, the both of them wandering mindlessly in circles.

"Alright! Break forma—?" Levi started, but he was cut off when he spotted Chi already speeding past him. She stood atop the racing horse with perfect balance. Everyone stared in awe as they watched her crouch low on the horse. Extending her arms, Chi leapt off of the horse's back, making it come to a complete stop.

The squad was still quite far away from the titans—but with incredible speed, Chi sprinted fast, quickly closing the distance between the titans and herself. This stunned her teammates; she was absolutely incredible. And she absolutely could not be human.

"Chi, wait!" Petra screamed, fearing for the young woman's life, but Chi was too excited to notice. She raced toward the titans without any sign of reluctance. The titans noticed her at the last second, when she'd already shot one of her grappling hooks. It plunged into the small of the first titan's back and she lurched forward as the gas tank released, sending her straight toward the naked monster. Swinging around it, Chi circled the confused titan as it turned its huge body toward her. She shot another hook straight for its shoulder, the sharp metal meeting its target perfectly in the tough skin of the colossal monster. The titan swung its gigantic hand at her, but it missed, and she was jerked forward by the gas once again.

Chi landed lightly on the titan's shoulder, running straight to the nape of its neck. She pulled out her blades and dug them into the titan's skin, dashing across its upper backside.

Chi roared, slicing off a chunk of the titan's flesh with ease. Before the first giant fell with an earth-shattering rumble, Chi leapt up and landed on the face of the other titan. A maniacal grin curled onto her lips, the blood of the other titan slowly steaming off of her face and blades.

"My, what gorgeous eyes you have," she cooed, raising the blades. Within a split second, she drilled them both into its eyes. The titan screeched and Chi laughed as she pulled out her blades, the razor-sharp edge gleaming against the harsh sun. Then, she kicked off and flipped over the titan's head to land on its shoulder.