Chapter 6: Why Do You Do This To Me?

[f]

"Again!" Levi shouted to the Special Ops squad as they trained. Only Eren was still trapped inside his confined room in the basement. The squad was practicing their formation in the case that Eren lost control in his titan form. Eld and Gunther would slash his legs to prevent him from being able to move, Petra would go for his arms so he wasn't capable of an attack, and Oluo would go straight for his eyes, taking away his vision.

Chi had the most important role of all; hers was to sneak her way to the back of Eren's neck without him noticing while everyone else would distract him. She needed to make the incision large enough to weaken the form, then cut Eren free and escape safely. Levi... well, Levi would only jump in for emergency situations—or so he said. Who really knew what he would do in such a situation.

They were practicing on another giant wooden dummy. Their roles were executed smoothly and the plan was over quickly.

"This is good enough. Let's pack up and head back for the day," Levi praised. Chi and stretched her arms high above her head, staring into the setting sun. She smacked her lips and grinned—she felt as if she were getting stronger. Getting stronger meant getting closer to completing her mission to kill the titans.

"Rest up tonight, because tomorrow we will get going outside of the walls and practicing on real titans," he announced as they were headed back. "It's for reconnaissance. Don't be stupid; there will be no one else out there but us. We cannot let our ourselves go. Be sure to take any precautions you may need and stick to the plan."

Many gasps arose from the group.

"Bu—but Heichou, will that be alright with Commander Erwin?" Petra stammered, her eyes wide in shock.

"I've already gotten permission from
him. Don't get yourself killed. I expect you all to be able to either kill or escape any titan we may intercept. Combat will only be necessary if it happens to take notice of us."

Eld cut in. "But Heichou, you know that on the ground, we're practically powerless! How will we fight them?"

"You're all part of the Special Operations squad, aren't you? I asked you to be part of this team because of your notable skill. If you die while in battle with one, I will acknowledge that you truly did not belong with this squad." Though his words were as cold as ice, there was a strange telltale edge to his voice.

With that, many of their faces fell. Behind her, Oluo scoffed.

"This will be a piece of cake," he drawled.

"Right on," Chi muttered sarcastically under her breath. Oluo glared daggers into the back of her head.

"Chi, go and grab Eren. It's time for dinner," Levi ordered.

"Yes, sir," she saluted and trotted into the giant castle. She found the basement door and skipped down the steps to see Eren facing the opposite wall with his back to her, staring at it blankly. When he heard her footsteps echo, he spun around. His eyes lit up almost immediately.

"Chi!" he cried. She grinned warmly and walked to the bed, sitting next to Eren.

"What've you been doing this whole time, Eren?" she asked.

"Staring at the wall... and thinking."

"Thinking? About what?"

"...About how I tried to kill Mikasa when I was a titan. I don't even remember it happening—but I feel terrible. Now she has a horrible scar on her cheek." He sighed dejectedly.

"Eren..." Chi wrapped an arm around his neck and pulled him close. "Don't worry. It will take time and practice, of course, until you'll be able to properly control yourself in that form. We all make mistakes."