Chapter 11: The Vanquished

trigger warning: suicide

~~~~~

"I threw away my humanity, so that I could rise above the monsters," Chi breathed, her lips hovering
above Levi's. She smiled and pulled away before turning to the rest of the Corps—which consisted of all of her former friends. The ones she'd trained with in the 104th Trainees Squad.

"Nice to see you guys again," she said, still wearing that familiar grin. Everyone stared at her with wide eyes.

"Chi... your eyes," Eren breathed. The look on Mikasa's face held a lot of regret and anger.

"You are such a blithering idiot," Mikasa snapped. "Why did you leave without saying anything? Do you know how worried I was? How worried all of us were?"

Chi looked away and mumbled, "But I'm alright." Levi grabbed her wrist and pulled her aside as the Corps began to whisper amongst themselves.

"Why did you leave?" he seethed, pulling her close and talking lowly. Her smile was still there

"Oh, Levi," she sighed. "Once I kill every single titan in existence, I will finally be able to rid myself of this world. Once my mission is finished."

"What the hell, Chi? Why are you like this? Do you really believe that you, alone, could kill every single titan on this planet?" He raised an eyebrow in disbelieve. She only returned it with a malicious look.

"Yup." The answer was simple, short, and without a shadow of doubt.

Levi scoffed, waving is hand. "No matter how much you, me, and everyone else wants it, it's not physically possible. That's but the most outrageous pipe dream I've ever heard."

Chi shrugged. "I don't care. Why do you?"

"...I don't. We had to leave on our 57th expedition without you. However, what I do care to know, is why you didn't let me know you were planning to pull a nasty trick ahead of time." Chi dropped her gaze to the ground, unable to hold Levi's steely one for any longer. Her hushed voice dropped to barely a whisper.

"...Because all I do around here is cause trouble. I'm only a hindrance. My presence is unwanted."

A heavy sigh rocked through Levi's chest. "You idiot. You're wrong this time."

"Why else do you think I ran away?" Chi roughly jerked her arm away from his grip . "Just leave me alone. I've gone rogue. You can no longer tell me what I can and can't do."

"Regardless of what you say, I can't leave you alone. Don't you think you could've done something else while you were gone? Maybe something... productive?"

"...I did do something productive."

Levi frowned, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Tch. And what is that?"

"I killed. All I did was kill. I stopped counting after a few dozen." Levi's eyebrows arched in surprise, but he regained his calm façade immediately.

"Over one hundred titans have lost their lives to you in just one week's time?"

"Much more than that, for sure. Maybe even a hundred, I don't know."

"...Why?"

Chi stamped her foot impatiently, shaking her head. "Why what, Levi?"

"All you ever think about is killing titans. Why? What about your comrades? I want to know why you'd go as far as forsaking your teammates because you don't know how to control your emotions. You would leave them behind to fend for themselves? What if someone got hurt? Or worse—what if someone died?" Chi's golden eyes flashed with anger.